Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Air conditioning or Climate Control help

Options
  • 18-07-2007 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭

Basically my folks are looking for a car atm and want air conditioning or climate control in it but there's not that many cars out there which they want that have it........can you get it installed?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Basically my folks are looking for a car atm and want air conditioning or climate control in it but there's not that many cars out there which they want that have it........can you get it installed?:confused:

It would cost too much to be worth while. What car are they looking at that doesn't have it as an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Whats the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

BostonB wrote:
    It would cost too much to be worth while. What car are they looking at that doesn't have it as an option?

Looking at either of the following saloons: Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, Mitsubishi Lancer or Nissan Almera........2002/03,manual and and maximum of 1.5ltr engine and under €10k

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Looking at either of the following saloons: Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, Mitsubishi Lancer or Nissan Almera........2002/03,manual and and maximum of 1.5ltr engine and under €10k

Try and look for a UK or Jap import. Alot if not most of these have air conditioning as standard. Irish cars are generally lower spec to keep costs down due to VRT.

Very hard to find air conditioning or climate control as standard on cars of this class back then.

Something like these:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=742390
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=746448
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=738728

Thanks for finding those.

Should've said as well........no more than 50k miles and no more than 2 owners. I'm pretty sure there's more as well :rolleyes: Fussy fùckers!!!!! :p
    Also being sold by a dealer as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Whats the difference?

As I understand it, air conditioning just cools the air and is just either on or off, while climate control lets you set the exact temperature. So CC is a configurable type of AC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

phutyle wrote:
    As I understand it, air conditioning just cools the air and is just either on or off, while climate control lets you set the exact temperature. So CC is a configurable type of AC.

I don't know about anyone else, but I set the temperature of my AC by using the heat control. ;)

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Thanks for finding those.

Should've said as well........no more than 50k miles and no more than 2 owners. I'm pretty sure there's more as well :rolleyes: Fussy fùckers!!!!! :p
    Also being sold by a dealer as well.

Generally AC is on the higher spec models. So when you are searching Carzone look for the high spec model its usually in the description.

kleefarr wrote:
    I don't know about anyone else, but I set the temperature of my AC by using the heat control. ;)

AC also can also be used to heat. Useful in the winter because it dehumidifies the air and keeps the windows crystal clear from fogging.

AC is just a manual setting. Climate control as was set earlier, you set a temp and it maintains that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Jack Bauer999

BostonB wrote:
    Generally AC is on the higher spec models. So when you are searching Carzone look for the high spec model its usually in the description.

Is air conditioning not the usual temp/fan knobs as in the attached pic?

Is that not standard on most cars?!

• Advertisement

Kenny 5 wrote:

Problem with that spec is that because AC sucks power from the engine its usually only found on bigger engines, and thus bigger cars. Well back 02-03 at least. If you up your scope to include 1.6-1.8 you get a lot more hits, most of them on fords. A lot more fords seem to have AC. Mondeo/Focus 1.6 etc. Another car is the Primera and Mazda 6 in 1.8.

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=search&CategoryID=1&MakeID=&xMakeID=&ColourID=&xColourID=&xModelID=&Doors=4&BodyID=4248&Engine_Min=1500&Year_Min=2002&Engine_Max=1800&Year_Max=2003&Price_Min=8000&Price_Min_integer=Minimum+price+entered+was+not+an+integer.&CountyID=10&xCountyID=10&Price_Max=10000&Price_Max_integer=Maximum+price+entered+was+not+an+integer.&BusinessID=&xBusinessID=&IsPrivateSale=&FuelID=1&Mileage_Max=&Mileage_Max_integer=Max+mileage+entered+was+not+an+integer.&SortBy=priceAsc&MaxRows=100&InsertPeriod=&ResultFormat=extended&submit=Find+%3E%3E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Air con is the little snowdrop/ice button on Climate Control or a blue button (usually) on the standard heater controls.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The pic you posted shows a Ford Focus with standard heating & ventilation - not air conditioning. Air conditioning uses a compressor and other components to chill the air (much like a fridge) and can cool the air to a temperature below ambient air temperature. Usually there is an 'A/C' button or a button with a snowflake symbol on it.

No its not standard. Thats just regular air/ventilation controls. AC is basically a fridge that blows out really cold air.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

With the standard heater controls, when the knob is turned to cold, you only get unheated outside air into the cabin. In the summer this is far from ideal so if you turn on ( or press the) air con, then the incoming unheated outside air is chilled ( fridge like) and this cold air enters the cabin.

You can control the temp of this chilled incoming air by adding heat to raise it's base temp by turning the heater control knob away from cold until the cabin temp is comfortable (this is conventional heating still working along side air con) .

Climate control just automates this process where the desired temp is entered and the system uses air con and heat to control the cabin temp.

Explained all of this to them and they've decided to up to a 1.6 Avensis. Have spotted one and gotting to call about it in the morning. *fingers crossed*

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ford Focus 1.6 Ghia saloon has air conditioning.

Nissan Primera from 2002 also has climate control as standard.

They no likey Fords. Will check out the Primeras. Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

This is my understanding of it:

Standard heater: knobs with no thermostat, hot cold, and in between

Climate control without air conditioning (fitted to 03 on Almera) has digital readout with thermostat and automatic changing of air direction depending on temperature selected

Air conditioning: knobs with no thermostat, hot, very cold, and in between

Automatic Air Conditioning: thermostat on heater knob, maintains desired temp. "Auto" position on fan to automatically vary fan speed to maintain temperature.

Digital Climate Control: choose temperature using buttons and display, maintains desired temp. usually manual override of fan control and air direction

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

colm_mcm wrote:
    This is my understanding of it:

Standard heater: knobs with no thermostat, hot cold, and in between Yesh

Climate control without air conditioning (fitted to 03 on Almera) has digital readout with thermostat and automatic changing of air direction depending on temperature selectedThis is not air conditioning - it's still only a standard heater/air blender, but with a termostat on it

Air conditioning: knobs with no thermostat, hot, very cold, and in betweenAircon on it's own is just refrigerated air. Your heater still works as normal, beside it, so technically, as a poster mentioned, you could pump in hot air, while a/c button is pressed, to up the temp from freezing....

Automatic Air Conditioning: thermostat on heater knob, maintains desired temp. "Auto" position on fan to automatically vary fan speed to maintain temperature. This is climate control, with knobs.

Digital Climate Control: choose temperature using buttons and display, maintains desired temp. usually manual override of fan control and air directionThis is climate control, with buttons
    My 0.02, as they say..

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

My dad's A4 has Air con. Set it to the lowest setting (15 degrees C) and enjoy! :D

Feels so good getting into the really cold car when it's roasting hot outside

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Caliden wrote:
    My dad's A4 has Air con. Set it to the lowest setting (15 degrees C) and enjoy! :D

Feels so good getting into the really cold car when it's roasting hot outside

I think your dad's car has climate control! :D

A/c can be set hotter or colder manually, using a rotary knob.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

To clarify,

Air Conditioning is a basic system which chills the air, ytou manually select the temperature and the fan blower speed.

Climate Control is more expensive, includes the above, but also lets you decide the temperature that you require in the cabin and it will automatically control the air mix and blower speed to get you there asap and afterwards, using sensors in various parts of the cabin, it will maintain it without your input !

Basically A/C is terrific, but CC is far superior in every way.

The digital display and readouts have nothing to do with the ability of the system they are purely an attempt to simplify the controls !

You can of course then get into the systems that you can pre-set, so that your car is chilled, or heated, before you get to it each evening/morning !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I thought that AC was commonplace on 7th generation Honda Civics? Maybe that was in the UK though, not here in VRT land :/

Avensis was sold so checking out a Primera this afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Avensis didnt boast Air Con till the new model came out in 2003. (well it did, if you're prepared to look for a hard to find 1.8 or 2.0 Sol version, which actually have semi Climate Control, and not full Climate Control, and then theres the Manual Climate Control as fitted to MkV Golfs everywhere but Ireland till the start of this year, when we finally got it fitted as standard:D ). In theory, it was possible to get a 1.6 Aura with chilled air before then, but most people(stupidly) chose the sunroof in lieu of Air Con.

As was mentioned before, the big benefit of aircon or climate control is in Winter, as it will defog the car infinately quicker, and prevents the car for re fogging up again, if the fan is at a high enoughh speed.Oddly enough, I think that that is the real benefit of having aircon/climate control in our climate, unlike most people who think aircon is just for the hot days, its actually a lot more useful IMO when its cold or wet. We dont really get the type of weather that makes aircon worthwhile in the summer, you need to go to somewhere a good bit hotter, where it is a life saver.
    The benefits of aircon in the summer(though not really this summer, it hasn't exactly been terribly warm) are well known.

As for which is better, Climate Control is the easiest thing in the world to use, simply press the Auto button, the make sure the vents are open and the aircon button is on, and press the temperature control until you find the desired temperature, and it does the rest. Climate Control usually has 3 extra features over and above this, which are not found on aircon; a solar sensor, which means the climate control will compensate for the sun shining in on the car by turning up the fan automatically, a deforst button, which when pressed will automatically send the fan onto full speed and send all the air to the windscreen and side windows, turns on the aircon if it isnt already on, and in some cases puts the heater on to full heat too. Lastly if you want to be burned alive of frozen to death(metaphorically:D ), theres the hi/lo functions, and as their names suggest, the lo function puts on maximum cooling, and high puts on maximum heating.
    Some of the more expensive cars also have automatic air recirculation, which can detect if theres bad smells or dirty air etc outside, and prevents this from entering the cabin.

Air Con is all DIY, as with a normal heating system. The truth is that unless you're really lazy, aircon will do just fine. It will still cool the car as well as climate control, and when used properly will still prevent the car from fogging up in winter.
    A common belief is that airconuses more fuel, and it does when it is on. But opening windows uses a lot more fuel than many people think, especially at high speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

E92 wrote:
    We dont really get the type of weather that makes aircon worthwhile in the summer, you need to go to somewhere a good bit hotter, where it is a life saver.
    The benefits of aircon in the summer(though not really this summer, it hasn't exactly been terribly warm) are well known.

QUOTE]

Every time I read a statement like this I always think the author of it has never been in a car with CC or A/C in there life. I've dual zone CC in my car and most of the time I leave it at 19d + on the auto setting, so that on a typical Irish summer day like yesterday when one minute its 21 degrees the sun shining and the next minute you have monsoon rain conditions and the temp has dropped to 14 or 15 degrees the cabin air temp doesn't change. If the missus is travelling with me she usually prefers to have her side a bit warmer so she can do that. I would never, ever go back to a car without CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yep I have my climate control set to 19 deg "Auto" and its been that way since the day I bought it !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

yellow012 wrote:
    E92 wrote:
    We dont really get the type of weather that makes aircon worthwhile in the summer, you need to go to somewhere a good bit hotter, where it is a life saver.

QUOTE]

Every time I read a statement like this I always think the author of it has never been in a car with CC or A/C in there life. I've dual zone CC in my car and most of the time I leave it at 19d + on the auto setting, so that on a typical Irish summer day like yesterday when one minute its 21 degrees the sun shining and the next minute you have monsoon rain conditions and the temp has dropped to 14 or 15 degrees the cabin air temp doesn't change. If the missus is travelling with me she usually prefers to have her side a bit warmer so she can do that. I would never, ever go back to a car without CC.

agreed!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

yellow012 wrote:
    E92 wrote:

another +1 for this, since having the dual zone climate ctrl I could never get a car without it. this summer its been very humid and warm, i use it every day to keep the car cool. the dual zone is surprisingly useful as mentioned above, invariably your passenger wants to be warmer than you..

Advertisement