Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

n00b

• 18-07-2007 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭

Hi Iam a n00b. Only found out yesterday that airsoft was legal :p.

I have a couple of questions.

I had a G36, it was basically a spring action one shot toy. Are gas powered automatic? What do the majority of people on this forum have?

What do you do with the items?

Are their ''paintball'' clubs as such that airsoft guns can be used?

Thanks a lot,

David.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Hey. Welcome :)

You definitely need to read through the stickies. Specifically this one

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055003480

Most used gun would be an AEG. Which is an electric fully automatic gun. They come in all shape and sizes.

People collect and use them for playing skirmish games. (Similar to paintball) the is only one site at the moment, which is in Swords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Cool, how regular are the skirmishes? Do you dress up in full gear and so on?

Master of the Universe

HRTA has walk on skirmishes for everyone every weekend. During the week is private booking sessions.

There's a huge site up the north called Predator too. 22 acre outdoor site. Pretty amazing to play on.

And yes, most of us wear full gear :D

Do you get any rambos coming in in normal clothes?
    Are the AEGs powerfull?

Master of the Universe

People wear what they want. If they want to come in pyjamas, no one's gonna stop em.

They have to at least fire under 1 joule to be legal without requiring a firearms license.Which is more than enough power to be able to play a game.

The next step really is figuring out how much you're willing to spend. As there are quite a lot of different manufacturers out there.

As are listed in this thread

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055108557

Tokyo Marui are said to be the best and most reliable. But they are pricy.

If you don't have the money, you can get a chinese clone gun. They're copies of the more expensive manufacturers. Cheaper, so they can break easier. But they're much cheaper.

• Advertisement

Whatabout the AK on eirsoft? It appears the man put a lot of effort to setup the site so I might buy my first gun here, and it would be nice to contribute as its a local site also. Would I be right in wanting a heavyweight? Would that AK on eirsoft be a good starter? Do you use metal ball bearings or?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Hagakure_irl

Considering its price, and its the China make, i would say yes a good starter. At least until you are set on the sport and then go for the bigger names. Everyone uses the plastic BBs or at least i think so anyway. Most common would be the .20g BBs. Metal ones be illegal as far as i can remember, but i'm sure o1s1n will fill ya in a bit more.

EDIT: I would say after you are comfortable with the sport, Toyko Marui would be a reliable purchase as o1s1n mentioned. Or if you wanted to jump straight into metal bodies Classic Army or ICS would also be good choices.

But the cheaper Chinese copies would be a good place to start.

Plastic? If in a skirmish would they not be useless outdoors?

Master of the Universe

Ah yeah, go with the ak on eirsoft! It's a brilliant price. Good AEG too.

These guns don't have the power to fire metal ball bearings. The power required to fire something that heavy would be well over 1 joule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Have the AK74 myself and was skirmishing with it for the first time at the weekend. Once the hopup was adjusted it performed very well (I still got peppered thou). It whored thru the bb's thou :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Plastic? If in a skirmish would they not be useless outdoors?

They may be plastic but they hurt like buggers if you get hit in the right place. Took a couple in the ribs last Saturday and everyone knew from my language :p

Very good :D

Whats the range like? What if there was abit of wind?

Master of the Universe

Very good :D

Whats the range like? What if there was abit of wind?

Watch this youtube video. A little bit in there is a camera on a gun firing. Gives a good example of what the range and shooting is like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGomOFvyLAw

Thnaks for your help lads :)

Master of the Universe

Thnaks for your help lads :)

No problem. Hope to pepper you with bbs sometime soon ;)

o1s1n wrote:
    Watch this youtube video. A little bit in there is a camera on a gun firing. Gives a good example of what the range and shooting is like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGomOFvyLAw

Ooooohhh cool video o1s1n!

Good luck with your first Airsoft product Poblachtach! let us know how it goes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭MaxForce

Welcome to the group Poblachtach.

Master of the Universe

Ooooohhh cool video o1s1n!

Good luck with your first Airsoft product Poblachtach! let us know how it goes :D

I may stick a link to that video in my sig. It's a great promo :D

o1s1n wrote:
    I may stick a link to that video in my sig. It's a great promo :D

hehe you should! When i was watching it i thought to myself " this can't get any madder, jeeps and people carries, oh wait theres a helicopter!!!"

Master of the Universe

I know. That's one pretty extravagant game they have going there.

Sure we'll be using helicopters over here before you know it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Fiach Dubh

Whatabout the AK on eirsoft? It appears the man put a lot of effort to setup the site so I might buy my first gun here, and it would be nice to contribute as its a local site also. Would I be right in wanting a heavyweight? Would that AK on eirsoft be a good starter? Do you use metal ball bearings or?

Both the CYMA AK74 and ARMY AK47 on Eirsoft are very good chinese AEG's. I own 3 CYMA 74's myself and I can tell you they will hold their own against anything being used in Ireland. Plus they are AK's so you can't go wrong :D

Welcome to the game!

o1s1n wrote:
    I know. That's one pretty extravagant game they have going there.

Sure we'll be using helicopters over here before you know it ;)

Pick up an Mi-24 Hind and I'll fly it ;)

Master of the Universe

Fiach Dubh wrote:
    Pick up an Mi-24 Hind and I'll fly it ;)

I'm actually surprised you don't have one by now :p

I'm saving up for a T80 first :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭[--SC(+)PE--]

its funny cos he's serious :p

I'm telling ya Airsoft is going to leave me broke. Just ordered the Kobra collimator sight for my AK74 tonight, 210 Euro :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

I call shotgun. Or turret as the case may be.

ok who want's to man the DSHK machine gun?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Fiach Dubh wrote:

DIBS....

• Advertisement

I'm telling ya Airsoft is going to leave me broke. Just ordered the Kobra collimator sight for my AK74 tonight, 210 Euro
    210 euro for a site! :eek: tis madness i say :p
    pfftt.. *grabs shoty and prepares to repel Fiach's tank squadron*

Master of the Universe

Fiach Dubh wrote:
    I'm telling ya Airsoft is going to leave me broke. Just ordered the Kobra collimator sight for my AK74 tonight, 210 Euro :eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm gonna get me some special paintshells made a-lá Oddball in Kelly's Heroes.

NakedDex wrote:
    So many positive waves man:D :D:D:D

Master of the Universe

NakedDex wrote:

Is it just a coincidence or were you watching that last week?

So many positive waves man
    lol Oddball Owns :D

• Advertisement

When we fire them they make pretty pictures in the sky! :D

lol Oddball Owns :D

Woof Woof!....:D :D

Last week? It's at the top of my rather extensive war dvd collection. I've watched it twice this week already. Why, was it on tv?
    pfftt.. *grabs shoty and prepares to repel Fiach's tank squadron*

I can see that ending up like Tom Hanks at the end of Saving Private Ryan. Lamely taking shots at the oncoming tanks, only to have one suddenly explode violently as pull the trigger.

o1s1n wrote:
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I know it's alot but trust me this thing is the buisness. Rated up to 500 metres so it'll well handle anything Airsoft can throw at it. Lithium cell powered, 100 hours operation at maximum intensity. Gold treated lense so you can't see the projected crosshairs from the opposite side. Makes you toast in the morning, etc.

[/QUOTE] I can see that ending up like Tom Hanks at the end of Saving Private Ryan. Lamely taking shots at the oncoming tanks, only to have one suddenly explode violently as pull the trigger.[/QUOTE]

Theirs always a chance ;)

• Advertisement

NakedDex wrote:
    I can see that ending up like Tom Hanks at the end of Saving Private Ryan. Lamely taking shots at the oncoming tanks, only to have one suddenly explode violently as pull the trigger.

Stop blowing up my tank in your mind :p

Fiach Dubh wrote:
    Stop blowing up my tank in your mind :p
    Could always try it like this instead:
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=isNUiFOxgrI

I said at tanks, not at your tank in particular. I'm your turret gunner remember? We'll be fine, I'm a pretty handy with large bores.

I'm warning you though, if someone offers me a Tiger II turret I'm so dumping your diesel a**

That such a great film, facing down a Tiger tank western style. Class! :D

I shouldn't admit this Dex but I'm a huge fan of German tanks too so I'd understand ;)

To think, if it hadn't been for the Tiger II, I wouldn't be driving a VW Golf today.

Speaking of all of this has reminded me, has anyone played Enemy Territory? Not the new Quake one, the original multiplayer download for Return to Castle Wolfenstein. There was a Kellys Heroes themed mission in it that was bloody brilliant. All the missions were based on classic ww2 movies

Never played that, sounds cool though. I use Company of Heroes for my Tiger tank fix these days :D

CoH is unreal. I'm a totally defensive player though. Those Flak88's are my life in any skirmish. That and Goliaths.

Anyone else notice the topic has gone more off target than a smoothbore cannon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

Fiach Dubh wrote:
    I use Company of Heroes for my Tiger tank fix these days :D

I went in to Smiths this evening to pick up a couple of presents for the kids from their new brother who's due soon, and I came out with a Company of Heroes and Dawn of War double pack. I'm not sure they're suitable for a 5 year old boy and girl, but its the thought that counts, right ?

Right ?

Yep, I think Oisin will be along soon to bonk us on the head. *Hides*

Shiva wrote:
    I went in to Smiths this evening to pick up a couple of presents for the kids from their new brother who's due soon, and I came out with a Company of Heroes and Dawn of War double pack. I'm not sure they're suitable for a 5 year old boy and girl, but its the thought that counts, right ?

Right ?

Sure it is. Catch them young I says :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement