Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Snobbery

Options
  • 18-07-2007 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Are you a gaming snob, do you look down on console gaming, do you feel "real" gaming can only be done on a pc , I've had a good few consoles in my time and so I view them as equal, what do you think

Is PC and console gaming equal 107 votes

Yes they are equal
    0% 0 votes
    No PC gaming is superior
    33% 36 votes
    atari jaguar
    66% 71 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'm a member of the console gaming community and I feel that gay people are excepted more by PC gamers than we are!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

They each handle games differently, one might be better than the other at a certain genre.

I'd say PC gaming is better over all though, they can do everything a console can and more.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

FPS games cannot be played to their full capacity on consoles.

Mouse and keyboard > control pad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Shut up. PC gamers aren't even real gamers. You aren't a real gamer unless you own an SNK machine, a Turbogrfx machine and an arcade machine.

TBH if you are really into games you will have a variety of consoles and a PC. It's the only way to experience everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

You CANNOT call yourself a gamer imo, unless you have sampled the delights of both pc, and console gaming enough to appriciate that gaming can be enjoyed on both platforms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Anyone who thinks true gaming can only be done on a PC is more of an idiot than a snob.

They're all just machines. Only reason a PC would handle a FPS any better is down to the keyboard and mouse combination. They're peripherals for the machine. Not the machine itself. Some consoles can support them. So I really think that arguments falls flat.

Upgrade potential is the one true advantage PC gaming has. Which can be damn expensive.

I have played both, and I re-iterate: Mouse and keyboard > control pad.

Master of the Universe

Silverfish wrote:
    I have played both, and I re-iterate: Mouse and keyboard > control pad.

So you'd rather use a mouse and keyboard for beat em ups? Driving games?

o1s1n wrote:
    So you'd rather use a mouse and keyboard for beat em ups? Driving games?

Silverfish wrote:
    FPS games cannot be played to their full capacity on consoles.

Mouse and keyboard > control pad.

Just like I said.

Master of the Universe

I would completely agree that FPS games can not be played to their full capacity with a control pad.

If you're saying though that you could beat someone top of their game at Soul Calibur or Street Fighter using a keyboard instead of a gamepad... eh,yeah. :rolleyes:

Anyway, this isn't mouse/keyboard vs control pad. As they are readily available peripherals for games consoles.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote:
    I would completely agree that FPS games can not be played to their full capacity with a control pad.

If you're saying though that you could beat someone top of their game at Soul Calibur or Street Fighter using a keyboard instead of a gamepad... eh,yeah. :rolleyes:

Anyway, this isn't mouse/keyboard vs control pad. As they are readily available peripherals for games consoles.

The OP asked what we thought. I replied.

I do not play 'beat em ups' or racing games. I play fps games.

I prefer pc / mouse / keyboard to consoles.

You won't convince me otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

It comes down to what games your into tbh. Obviously I think PC gaming is better because I prefer gaming on a pc and PC games to consoles.

I once loved consoles but then I saw what PC gaming was like and never looked back, consoles just don't do it for me any more.

However of course many people would prefer console gaming because that is their taste.

Which one is better depends on the gamer.

The "snobbish" stuff only starts when some ignorant console owners assume and talk as if their 300 euro x many years old console is the peak of technology and actually assume there is nothing better then a joypad for FPS's.

It can also be a little annoying as a PC gamer when playing a great game that could be so much better, but that had to be limited since it was released on consoles too. Like GTA3 back in the day etc. Or even the up coming GTA4 etc..

But ah well that's just the way it is as that's where the money is. I guess we should just be glad that there is at least a few games released just for the PC since it's a small market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I always thought consoles were better. I hated upgrading my PC, I'd just preferred to buy a console and that would be it, and no more upgrades!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

I wouldn't look down on people who have consoles, but they r most definetly not equal. There r far more things u can do on a pc. Even a fair average one, than what u can do with the lastest consoles. FPS games imho r crap on consoles. U a mouse for them!! But footie and games and stuff r better on consoles.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I think it is high time somebody posted a cat image for this stupid thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Can you do this with a console?

2001859367033693065_rs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

:rolleyes: This is stupid! It is best left as a stupid argument... for stupid people to have.

I fear this thread is going to end in an all-out 'geek-off'!

Participants run the risk of reducing themselves to this: [Linky]

Master of the Universe

Silverfish wrote:
    The OP asked what we thought. I replied.

I do not play 'beat em ups' or racing games. I play fps games.

I prefer pc / mouse / keyboard to consoles.

You won't convince me otherwise.

I'm not trying to convince you otherwise. I was trying to understand why you would think a mouse/keyboard is better for every form of game. When it is most definitely not.

I understand now. You ONLY play fps games. *mind boggles*

Well, having played other games and not really liking them, then yeah.

I don't see what your issue is with this, really, and think you should let it drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Silverfish wrote:

I don't see what your issue is with this, really, and think you should let it drop.

Are you for serious?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Silverfish wrote:

Yes I have MAJOR issues with your gaming preferences. WTF? it's called debating. I thought that's what people did on forums.

I guess not.

Oh, someone asked for cat pictures.

270911970_db35fdd4ca.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Consoles are designed to play games of all types, are much cheaper and have far bigger budget games (not necessarily better, but the fact is that the most talented developers will go where the money is in general)

PCs have a never ending conveyor belt of uninspiring FPS games and shiny graphics, and expensive upgrades and hassle to go with them.

Not that the PC doesn't have some great games, but consoles are gaining more and more ground. The next Fallout is coming to consoles. Unreal Tournament 3 is coming to PS3 on day one, complete with mod compatibility. The next Civilisation game has been announced for consoles. FEAR was considered a top PC game a while back, then it came to consoles and the PC community seemed to suddenly decide 'it wasn't that good really'.

The only big PC game anyone seems to be talking about lately is Crysis, which falls snugly into the 'generic FPS with expensive technology' category.

I have a PC and play games on it but it will never be as important to me (as a games machine) as any of my consoles.

o1s1n wrote:
    Yes I have MAJOR issues with your gaming preferences. WTF? it's called debating. I thought that's what people did on forums.

I guess not.

Well, I explained that I prefer PC to console, for the reason that I only really play fps games - what's to debate?

I don't think PC's are better, I don't think they're worse, I just think, that for me, PC's are better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Silverfish only plays fps games, so the pc is the natural choice for her. Lots of people only listen to one genre of music. That doesn't mean they're not music-listeners. :)

Master of the Universe

Silverfish wrote:
    Well, I explained that I prefer PC to console, for the reason that I only really play fps games - what's to debate?

I don't think PC's are better, I don't think they're worse, I just think, that for me, PC's are better.

Your stance was debatable in the beginning as it seemed you were saying you preferred mouse/keyboard for all games. Which is a bit odd given that it doesn't work at all for some genres. That's what I was inquiring about.

You didn't mention you played FPS only until several comments in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

One of the things I dislike about alot of PC gamers is how elite they seem. They just have to accept that alot of people enjoy the simplicity of console gaming.

Everytime I install a PC game I always end up having to alter settings, delete files and all kinds of other messing just to get the thing up and running, often poorly. This annoys me on occasion, so I turn to consoles - I simply put in a disc and play. I think a healthy mix is important. It is true PC games are often much more advanced than console games, for example, and anyone solely playing console games will miss out on many classics (games such as RTS, point 'n clicks and ARGUABLY FPS (although I think pads work grand for them too) belong on PC). But anyone who just plays one and constantly criticises the other certainly deserves a bit of a boot up the old a.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

i own a load of consoles and a decent pc but i still say consoles all the way,no upgrading,the direct plug n play appeal, and the games are better,pc can do slightly better graphics on certain games but unless you're running enough equipment that you can launch a space shuttle with you wont get the full potential out of them. pc games can have more depth but im not really one for spending 100 hours upgrading my wizard so he can kick an asian kids wizard in world of warcraft.

the mouse/keyboard vs joypad only works for fps and strategy games, everything else is joypad all the way, you cant play street fighter or driving games with a keyboard now can you

and yes pc gamers are extremely snobby and elite, maybe because pc games dont have the legacy that console games have and theyre jealous:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I'm with Silverfish on this one - PC > Console for fps
    steveic wrote:
    Unreal Tournament 3 is coming to PS3 on day one, complete with mod compatibility
    thats great - Its coming to PC on day one too, with the Unreal Editor (the thing that actually makes the mods/maps/you name it) and will have about 20 mods within the week. you forgot to mention that UT3 for Console has auto-aim, basically making it a big crock of ****. Can you edit your config files on a ps3? the little things that can make a hell of a difference? turn off ambient sounds etc through config files? (and if you can do it, can you do it in less than 30 mins using a ****ty joypad & onscreen text editor)

For FPS games, PC is elitist - why? because you dont have auto-aim, you have to actually be skilled to play the game well, and learn things to play. not just pick up some joypad and rtfm page1 and be able to play well. all i can say is - good luck in UT3 trying to do a shieldgun(hammer) jump walldodge shock combo with a joypad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Started with consoles, moved to PCs and now both. Use the PC more but certain games suit consoles while others suit PCs..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

My belief is that PC gaming is better for several reasons:
    1) you can plug a game pad into a PC and play any console based game that way
    2) updatable hardware means you can improve your gaming experience
    3) developers aren't constrained by these same hardware restraints and don't need to worry if the <insert console here> port will look sh1t or not
    4) PC games have modding communities - Counter Strike anyone?
    5) OMFG TEH KONSOULS ARE TEH GHEY!!!!1one (ok, I don't believe that but I thought it might be funny).

I have a Gaming PC and a PS2 and a Dreamcast and all get used in equal measure. The PC is the most recent addition and so will see increased use over the next year. I play a lot of FPS games and there can be no doubt that the PC is the undisputed champion of platforms for that kind of game. Console gaming has got me through these dark times without a gaming PC well so I won't fault them, but they're always (for me) gonna be in the PCs shadow. I do find it interesting that the consoles are becoming more and more popular for the professional competitions. I guess it makes for more even playing fields as well as everything else. Gaming has become a more mainstream thing in the last 10 years (thank you Sony and the original PlayStation). There will always be the hardcore "elite" (at least in their own eyes) that will fixate on PCs and think that just because you can tweak it more it means it's automatically better (I happen to think it's more useful to a serious gamer, but not necessarily better).

Advertisement