Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Snobbery

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ok, didn't really read the thread, but my opinion is that they are equal... The thing with PC gaming is that some games can be way better using the whole mouse and keyboard set up, some games benefit from being customisable etc. The thing that's good about consoles is that the more mainstream games available on them, plus the fact that if you buy an Xbox game, you're guaranteed it'll run as the developers envisaged, whereas with a PC, unless you have a real top-end machine, you're gonna lose out on graphics or something..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

You're completely right, Dulpit, there's something to be for both. Neither console nor PC is ouright better and anyone with a broad interest in games really needs a selection of machines.

What this thread is about though, as I understand it, is the existence (or not) of a snobbery among some people who play using PCs exclusively towards consoles and console gamers. A good example is a poster in a recent thread concerning the two platforms who commented that PCs are like broadsheet newspapers and consoles like tabloids, with a corresponding audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I am a PC gamer, FPS and RTS mostly, the last console I touched was a SNES in the 90s and didn't play many games on it due to budget restrictions (oh lawd we had it tough! :p ), but now I am interested in getting a Wii, forget all the Sonys and XBoxs (IDE drives, lol) none of them had any games that drew me into buying one, but the Wii interests me because of Paper Mario and Mario Galaxy and probably a few other titles that I haven't researched.

Soon, I will boldly venture into enemy territory, using my keyboard as a shield and my mouse to bludgeon and blind people (with the optical light)... If I don't come back in a few weeks, give my Steam ID to some poor gameless kid!

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

philip2066 wrote:
    Personally I think consoles often seem better for fps and driving games

sorry i stopped there...

i agree consoles are better for driving games but not fps not in a million years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Maximilian wrote:
    Plus, console owners are poor and therefore don't contribute to society.

Without a doubt my favourite comment since joining boards.

As for which is better, it's a bit unfair on consoles because you can only compare FPS and RTS . After all, Sports games (bar champo) aren't exactly popular titles. Practically no platformers come out on the PC and that's consoles strongest area.The sports titles are also absent from the PC and most of the FPS games on consoles are ports so of course they're better on the PC. Deus ex on the PS2 wasn't a bad game, it just wasn't as good as the PC version. If the Ocarina of Time was brought out on the PC you could say the same thing in reverse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I think what people posting on this thread need to remember is that you cant have a valid opinion unless you are a regular gamer, ie. play both pc and console.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

The PC is a superior machine to the console.

Is it better for games?

Its definantly better for FPS, RTS and MMORPG and flight sims. It also has better graphics and sound.

You also get a constant stream of free games and additional content.

But it is expensive to buy. (I guess consoles are too if you include the HDTV)

Consoles are great for platform games and shoot em ups and beat em ups.

It also has its share of innovation such as the Nintendo Wii (Love this machine)

In terms of driving games I'd say consoles are equal to the PC.

Of course I'd be lost on my long commute without my PSP.

I'm primarly a PC gamer and thats my preference. I can also see why people are primarily console gamers. Each to there own I guess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

Cremo wrote:
    sorry i stopped there...

i agree consoles are better for driving games but not fps not in a million years.

Totally agree, in terms of FPS there is no contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

dent wrote:
    Totally agree, in terms of FPS there is no contest.
    you can see this when you watch the likes of x-league.tv

they have so called professional gamers of games like GRAW and Resistance, and tbh with their reaction times, they wouldn't even last a minute on the noobiest pc fps server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Leon11

I'm with Silverfish on this one - PC > Console for fps

thats great - Its coming to PC on day one too, with the Unreal Editor (the thing that actually makes the mods/maps/you name it) and will have about 20 mods within the week. you forgot to mention that UT3 for Console has auto-aim, basically making it a big crock of ****. Can you edit your config files on a ps3? the little things that can make a hell of a difference? turn off ambient sounds etc through config files? (and if you can do it, can you do it in less than 30 mins using a ****ty joypad & onscreen text editor)

For FPS games, PC is elitist - why? because you dont have auto-aim, you have to actually be skilled to play the game well, and learn things to play. not just pick up some joypad and rtfm page1 and be able to play well. all i can say is - good luck in UT3 trying to do a shieldgun(hammer) jump walldodge shock combo with a joypad.

let the geek contest begin

FFS they're only games, who cares

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

Leon11 wrote:
    FFS they're only games, who cares

so fcuking true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

Good gluivon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Have both, would use the PC for FPS (and everything got on my Steam account) and console for the stuff like Live and so on.

Love em both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Leon11

I prefer consoles btw because if the lads come over I bring it downstairs and we're ready to have a few games in 5mins.

I'm pretty sure the same could be done with a pc but that's a lot of hassle imo unless you've taken the time to set your living room up in a way that allows it.

PC for the single gamer (excluding online play since your still by yourself)
    Console for the groups

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Basically now I'm at the stage where my PC is used solely for World of Warcraft, while all my main gaming is done on console.

Advertisement