Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox 360 ELITE priced...kinda

• 18-07-2007 10:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭

Just read on kotaku that Game and HMV have announced pricing for the Elite in the UK. £330 (works out around 490 euro). Wonder will they up the price to an even 500 here?

Was thinking about trading up for one of these but i think it's too rich for my blood at that price. Will just hold out for a falcon core model

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It's €511.49 on play.com so I'd say the shops will price it at €520 here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Anything over 400 is too much in my opinion. At €520 with no HD drive or wireless it makes the ps3 look like a steal.

Anything over 400 is too much in my opinion. At €520 with no HD drive or wireless it makes the ps3 look like a steal.

Wait till the 80gig PS3 gets released here, it will be around €680-€700 for a hard drive you can buy for €50 and put in yourself.

The Elite is too much though. I just want the HDD by itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I just want the HDD by itself.

120 gigs is a lot of space and is it worth 200 euro? I don't really see the point of upgrading at that price.

Also the overpriced videomarketplace isn't really complemented by irish ISP caps.

I do like the black matt finish though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Not worth the extra 100 odd euro to be honest. Saying that, they will prob reduce the elite to 400, the premium to 300 and the core to 200 or something like that when the price reductions kick in. Maybe add 50 across the board.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Too much. If they priced it at €410 without any games then it wouldn't be too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,628 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Defo not worth the upgrade IMO..
    I'd be pleased to see a more refined "Falcon"-based Elite system in the future with a completely overhauled internal design, both from a cooling point of view and a noise level stance..
    The Elite in its current form may be worth it for new potential 360 owners as the sizable HDD upgrade may prove beneficial down the line (although I fear anyone hoping to see a Video marketplace on par with the US system will be extremely disappointed), plus the more standard HDMI connection will ensure better compatibility across the 1080p display range for consumers..
    But with build-quality and reliabilty of the US Elites remaining par for the course with the Cores and Premium so far (although at least we should be getting the revised heatsink setup), plus MS inexplicably "stunting" the ability to pass advanced audio via the HDMI in conjunction with the HD-DVD drive, the Elite seems like a worse and worse upgrade path for current owners and HD-DVD addon fans..

Obviously some people will have to have the latest and greatest (or just love black systems!), but with a process change just around the corner, upgrading just doesn't make sense IMO..
    Having said that, maybe GAME and such will be offering a trade-in option ala the DS and DS lite ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

dont see the point of the 120gb hard drive here at all.
    I mean what are are we going to use that space for?

Current broadband speeds and caps here are s***e.
    Well my speeds are decent but the but the size of the
    downloads of hd content etc would mean id reach my cap
    in a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

The price over here was hinted at a while back. Anything past €500 is starting to push it a little. Hopefully, with Halo 3 and PGR4 due just after the launch of the Elite, there will be bundles available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭savemejebus

wouldn't count on it. They're not even bundling halo 3 with the halo 3 xbox 360

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

wouldn't count on it. They're not even bundling halo 3 with the halo 3 xbox 360

Whats the halo 3 xbox 360?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

halo3xbox360ew5.jpg

the halo version has HDMI as well, but a 20gb hdd. So may be better value (pricewise) than the elite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,628 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Ciaran500 wrote:
    halo3xbox360ew5.jpg

I'd be embarrassed to have that thing beside my setup........one for the diehard Halo fan I think..
    MS would be better off bundling the game with a normal system and offering it €50 below asking price..

May have a HDMI output (as all future 360s will have on next revision), but still not worth it..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Ciaran500 wrote:
    halo3xbox360ew5.jpg

It looks sweet. Would go for that over the elite if it comes with hdmi. DOnt need a bigger hd but the 360 i have now is more than enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I think the Halobox is rotten. Nothing beats the elegance and simplicity of the original white 360.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I think the Halobox is rotten. Nothing beats the elegance and simplicity of the original white 360.
    I agree.
    But I just wish they were all black like the old Xbox, rather than Buck Rogers white.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I agree.
    But I just wish they were all black like the old Xbox, rather than Buck Rogers white.

I think the Elite looks the best of the lot. I thought the old one was a horrible design. Normal 360 isnt too shabby, although that purty black finish would be preferrable. Halo one looks nasty though, except for the controller, which looks relativley cool.

I think they all look far too much like dell optiplexes to be honest.

Dell_Optiplex_Gx_260_Small_Form_Factor.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Hahahaha they do

• Advertisement

120 gigs is a lot of space and is it worth 200 euro? I don't really see the point of upgrading at that price.

Also the overpriced videomarketplace isn't really complemented by irish ISP caps.

I do like the black matt finish though.

Well the 20gig is not enough for me. I have it full of demos, game saves and music. A 40 or 60 would do me but since the next size up is 120......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

I bought the 120GB drive on eBay last week for €95 including delivery. All I have to now is figure out how to transfer the content from my 20GB drive to it and then I'll be trading in the old drive. According to the Game Trade-in Price Guide, the 20GB drive has a trade-in value of €37 so if I'm successful then the 120GB drive will have cost less than €60.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

I think they all look far too much like dell optiplexes to be honest.

Dell_Optiplex_Gx_260_Small_Form_Factor.jpg

Haha, good spot actually.

I think the old xbox did look like a donkey (the crystal version actually looked quite nice though). Teh 360 is pretty nice looking in general, except for the concaveness, plus Ive a feeling that is a major part of the overheating problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Yeah it looks like that PC alright!

I've a 32" HD tv that goes up to 720p. Is this X Box upgrade worth getting or would I be as well off just getting a bundle of the premium one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

silvine wrote:
    Yeah it looks like that PC alright!

I've a 32" HD tv that goes up to 720p. Is this X Box upgrade worth getting or would I be as well off just getting a bundle of the premium one?

Depends entirely on what inputs your tv has.
    If it has HDMI then it might be worth it, depending on the TV.
    But if it can do 720p well over component, then its not worth it unless you want the bigger HDD.

I called into Smiths last week. They told me a they will be a launching a new promotion when the Xbox Elite comes out for around €450.

I asked if this will include wireless or a game. They said when Halo 3 comes out it will probably be thrown in. They also added Smith's head office normally adds something to the Microsoft deal.

Apparently there'll be a a big marketing push come the Elite and Halo 3 so I might hold until then and see what I can get out of Bill Gates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I picked up the New Argos catalogue over the weekend and on page 1647 is the Xbox 360 Elite for €499. Heres a Pic I took with my mobile phone.

974203500_9f88edcced.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

skywalker wrote:
    Teh 360 is pretty nice looking in general, except for the concaveness, plus Ive a feeling that is a major part of the overheating problem.
    Optical illusion. It's not concaved at all, just the shaping of the faceplate make you think it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

robinph wrote:
    Optical illusion. It's not concaved at all, just the shaping of the faceplate make you think it is.

Im not sure if your taking the piss or not, it quite clearly is.

xbox360_v_xbox.jpg

• Advertisement

The elite looks like bigger than the original in that pic?? Do you have one? Put the optiplex up beside it!

Advertisement