Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Router wont let more than connection

• 18-07-2007 10:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭

Folks,

I've a wireless 3com router connected to a netopia eircom bb modem. Now it works fine if i'm using one PC/laptop on the connection but if more than one PC tries to connect at any one time then we both loose the internet connection. We're both connected to 3com but get a web page fail while browsing. I've tried switching off/on encryption etc but it makes no difference.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Thomas wrote:
    Folks,

I've a wireless 3com router connected to a netopia eircom bb modem. Now it works fine if i'm using one PC/laptop on the connection but if more than one PC tries to connect at any one time then we both loose the internet connection. We're both connected to 3com but get a web page fail while browsing. I've tried switching off/on encryption etc but it makes no difference.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

It sounds as if your DHCP might not be set up properly. What model no is the 3Com? Which Netopia model are you using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭Thomas

3CRWE554G72 - 3com model number

It happens with all dsl modems that I hook the router into. By the way I have the network cable from the router going into a port on the dsl modem instead of the dsl port as I cant get on the web at all when I do this.

Should my DHCP be switched off?

Thomas wrote:
    3CRWE554G72 - 3com model number

It happens with all dsl modems that I hook the router into. By the way I have the network cable from the router going into a port on the dsl modem instead of the dsl port as I cant get on the web at all when I do this.

Should my DHCP be switched off?

You need to 'bridge' one or other of the router functions. That is turn off the dhcp in one of them - otherwise you have two routers fighting amongst themselves! Most people bridge the router/modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭Thomas

Thanks Dub, I'll give that a try.

Another one for you:

How come I have to have the network cable from the dsl modem going into an actual port on the router as opposed to the dsl port? The 3com gateway has options for internet access like pw and ip etc but surely the modem would have taken care of that?

Don't worry I'm sure the router isn't a modem also - I'm not that old yet!!

Thomas wrote:
    Thanks Dub, I'll give that a try.

Another one for you:

How come I have to have the network cable from the dsl modem going into an actual port on the router as opposed to the dsl port? The 3com gateway has options for internet access like pw and ip etc but surely the modem would have taken care of that?

Don't worry I'm sure the router isn't a modem also - I'm not that old yet!!

I am no expert on these matters - have to say this up front!:) However I think what you mean by a dsl port on your router is what is known in fact as a wan port (the port that takes in the internet connection) And I presume that the reason that your router wont work properly with the ethernet cable coming from the modem into the wan port is because the modem/router has not been bridged as I mentioned above.

I suspect that when you get the bridging done correctly in the eircom modem router then if you put the ethernet cable into the wan port on the 3com things should work fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

What you could or should have done was get a Wireless access point to use with your eircom BB router or simply upgrade your existing BB router to one which has wi-fi built in..

Advertisement