Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to buy PC games online

Options
  • 18-07-2007 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

Since its harder and harder to find PC games in town. I'm just gonna bum my auld fella's credit card and give him the money since it seems cheaper online + I can actually find the games I want.

Ive bought PC hardware online before. But I'm just wondering where people think I should try for PC games.

Any other advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

www.play.com

stalker retail: 45.99 play.com 27.99
    defcon retail 25 play.com 15

loads more there 2 I knew off my head...

free delivery also. Note they dont ship electronics to Ireland

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

tons of games on www.adverts.ie too, ebay as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

There's no one place that's always cheaper. I've a list of places I always check:

-Play
    -CDWOW - check both .co.uk and .ie, as sometimes you get a better deal on one - e.g. got Oblivion for 28 on the .ie site when the one on .co.uk worked out at over 30
    -Sendit
    -Gameplay.co.uk

There's a few other places I've occasionally gotten games from:
    - BlahDVD - got Stalker just after release for 23 euro using coupons (see Gaming Bargains thread)
    - dvd.co.uk - got FM2007 just after release for 19 euro

Most of these are free delivery, think one of the last three charges a pound or so per item but can still work out cheaper. Delivery for all is about a week to 10 days (except possibly CDWOW now).

And another I've never used cos they've been dearer, but that do sell games:
    - DVDBOxOffice

Always shop around, because a site that's cheap for one game can have a crazy price for another. I've an Excel sheet that I bung any games I think I might buy into, then every week or so I check the prices on each site. They can change quite a bit over a month or so (up as well as down!).

And after finding the cheapest site, it can be worth googling for e-vouchers to get an extra discount, especially if you're buying a lot of stuff.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Just buy them online as downloads. Who needs boxes anymore?

www.steampowered.com (THQ have just started selling their stuff through it)

http://www.direct2drive.com (not all available for Europe)

http://www.ea.com/ealink/index.jsp?locale=en_GB (EA are of course evil)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Maximilian wrote:
    Just buy them online as downloads. Who needs boxes anymore?

www.steampowered.com (THQ have just started selling their stuff through it)

http://www.direct2drive.com (not all available for Europe)

http://www.ea.com/ealink/index.jsp?locale=en_GB (EA are of course evil)

Makes it much harder (impossible?) to sell them second hand.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

buying/selling games 2nd hand is for poor people.

/runs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Maximilian wrote:
    buying/selling games 2nd hand is for poor people.

/runs

Actually due to the failure of microsoft EA games and countless other companies to to set up some sort of download system for old games that they will not manufacture anymore trading second hand games can be the single and only way to get the game you want in some cases.

One thing i will never be tho is one of those who used to buy a game copy it and drop it back or even these people who own consoles and that 2nd hand bin thing in the shops i just dont get why you would buy a game if you dont like it and intend to keep it.

Fair point. I don't think you're poor anymore.

I don't have to buy old games because I probably have them already. There's also quite a few old games "available" on abandonware sites. Legally a bit of a grey area of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i hae failed on countless attempts to install older games on
    win 95,
    win 98,
    win XP (the worst of the ****ing lot, its a microsoft operating system that is not compatable with a ****ing microsoft game)

Vista...... i don't know ive read nothing and tried to install nothing, but as each operating system comes out the older games based on floppy's or early win games or dos games don't install sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Since its harder and harder to find PC games in town. I'm just gonna bum my auld fella's credit card and give him the money since it seems cheaper online + I can actually find the games I want.

Ive bought PC hardware online before. But I'm just wondering where people think I should try for PC games.

Any other advice appreciated.

I've personally bought games off GAME's website after the frustration of walking into 2 of their stores in town and finding the tiny PC section/shelf at the secluded back with just Sims 3 and ancient crappy games. HMV in Liffey Valley is the only shop I've been in that has a decent selection unfortunately. Online seems to be the way to go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement