Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gentlemanly advice

Options
  • 18-07-2007 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭

Recently bought my first road bike for training purposes. All my previous bikes have been of the thicker tyre / front suspension / comfy saddle variety however I'm having "man" problems with the new bike.

It's an fcr with the thin giant saddle, no suspension on wheels or saddle. While I'm loving the bike and the speeds I'm hitting my man bits are taking a bit of a pounding. After more than an hour in the saddle it gets really bad .

Can someone recommend a decent alternative saddle (still want the thin type though as opposed to wide comfort type) and also what shorts / bottoms can you recommend. I've experimented with soccer shorts, track bottoms, loose boxers, tight boxers, went commando but usually end up strangled after a while which is not pleasant. I'm not a fan of licra so I was thinking maybe the baggy shorts with some strategic padding???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

cycling shorts are a must im afraid, but you could just wear a pair of standard shorts over them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

You can buy cycling shorts (i.e. ones that are padded under the crotch) that are "fitted" into regular shorts. I bought a pair in TK Max some months ago. It looks like I'm wearing regular jogging shorts but underneath are a pair of lycra shorts that attach to the shorts via fasteners and contain enough padding to safeguard th'oul perineum.
    clown bag wrote:
    Recently bought my first road bike for training purposes. All my previous bikes have been of the thicker tyre / front suspension / comfy saddle variety however I'm having "man" problems with the new bike.

It's an fcr with the thin giant saddle, no suspension on wheels or saddle. While I'm loving the bike and the speeds I'm hitting my man bits are taking a bit of a pounding. After more than an hour in the saddle it gets really bad .

Can someone recommend a decent alternative saddle (still want the thin type though as opposed to wide comfort type) and also what shorts / bottoms can you recommend. I've experimented with soccer shorts, track bottoms, loose boxers, tight boxers, went commando but usually end up strangled after a while which is not pleasant. I'm not a fan of licra so I was thinking maybe the baggy shorts with some strategic padding???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

I'd recommend a Selle Italia 'Flite' Gel saddle. Expensive (then again, you're talking about the lad here) but well comfortable.

Like the others say, cycling shorts are essential if you're spending time in the saddle. I usually wear something like Lowe Alpine dry-flo base layer leggings with cycling shorts over them. It works just right for me either on or off road.

Any of the Triathlon set have a recommendation on how to kit out for this kind of problem?

Gil

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

saddle...
    I have this: http://www.cycleways.com/store/product/14507/Fizik-Arione-Saddle-/

It took a week or so to break it in, but it's great now.

Defo get padded shorts. I used to be of the same opinion as you about skin tight stuff. But once I made the switch I couldn't understand what I was fussing about. I have a couple of pairs of baggies with padded inserts, but they are no where near as comfortable as proper cycling shorts imo. Generally, the more panels in the shorts, the better.

I have a pair of these and they are great:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11739

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

clown bag wrote:

You can buy underwear that has an insert and wear normal shorts with that i think www.wiggle.co.uk have them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

First off you need padded cyling shorts. If you are still having problems think about a diiferent saddle. I have one of these, SPecialized Alias and it cuts out all such difficulties. However, it puts the pressure elsewhere - namely the 'sit bones' and that takes a few weeks of getting used to. All in, much better comfort than any other saddle I've used.

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=6544&catID=198

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭aldark

All the advice here seems to about padding, but perhaps the op should look at the position on the bike. ie. if the saddle is not back far enough, but handlebars are too forward on a long stem, the downstroke, depending on your anatomy could be crushing your chaps! I also don't think the saddle shape or type would be an issue here as saddle fitting is generally about ensuring that you don't get pains in your glutes.

Assuming op hasn't been fit by cycle shop, then should try the following
    1. check correct saddle height - basic test is spinning with heels on pedals.
    2. check saddle position - much more difficult needing experience, trial and error. Rule of thumb is knee over pedal spindle - kops - which is I think, with pedals at 180 degrees, plumb line from bony protrusion under kneecap should be in line with the pedal axle centre.

Also, could be a flexibility issue which will go away with time. ie. if op isn't comfortable bending upper body to handlebars. Also, could be a saddle angle, ie is saddle at 180 degrees or tilted up or down - even small movements here can make a big difference.

Bottom line, if the bike isn't comfortable without wads of compression padding on your nethers, then it will never be comfortable. IME, padding is necessary on longer or harder rides, not pootles around town.

Mind you, I wear cycle shorts on my 3 mile commute! But thats really for hygiene reasons so i can change out of sweaty clothes at the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I'd also recommend the Specialized Alias saddle. I just couldn't get used to sitting on the stock saddle that came with my road bike, nuts were in bits after about 30 minutes. Absolutely no problems with the Alias, once my ass got used to taking the pressure. Don't scrimp on the cash with this, we've all read the scare stories about floppy cock cyclists.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Also, could be a saddle angle, ie is saddle at 180 degrees or tilted up or down - even small movements here can make a big difference.
    Yeah, definitely check this out. When I first got back on the bike, the saddle was level, or maybe a tiny bit nose-up. My man bits were OK, but the general crotch area was taking a bit of a pounding, to the point where I had to take at least three days in a week off cos I couldn't sit on the saddle :D. So I moved the saddle so it was nose down (maybe about 5-10 degrees), so it's at a point where I'm actually sitting on the main part of the saddle with my ass, as opposed to putting all my weight on the area between my legs - forget what that's called.

It was a bit odd the first 2 or 3 times, kept feeling like I was slipping forward, but it's nice and comfy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yep. I third the adjustment advice. Easy way to get the height right is to keep going up until it's a stretch to reach the bottom of the cycle when you're pedalling, then just make it a tiny bit shorter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭oneeyedsnake

clown bag wrote:

Ah jaysus lycra!!!One touch of that stuff on your legs and you'll turn into a rampant homosexual!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Sounds like the saddle inclination alright. I wore lycra for about two weeks on a tour and while it was comfy for the nether regions it made my little man very introverted. He was numb when required for little jobs behind trees en route and in panic I discarded the shorts and have never tried them since. I still don't know if the shorts were too tight or it's supposed to be that way :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I had a lycra jersey, with a lot of stuff in the back pockets , resulting in

nipple rash :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Thanks for all the advice, took it all on board. I asked the chap in the shop, a decent enough eastern european dude, and once I explained the ball problem I was having he spent a bit of time finding me exactly what I needed. Like me he's not a fan of lycra so he got me a pair of baggies with the removable padded lycra inserts. Got my ass measured :eek: (and was relieved that the middle sized saddle fit my fat arse). Bought myself a shiney new specialized alias saddle and fitted it as described by posters above.

Only took the bike for a little spin around the block when I got home just to make sure I fitted the saddle right. It felt really really comfortable with the padded shorts and new saddle. I'll will be doing my usual 30k tomorrow morning before work so I suppose that will be the real test. I have to admit, the lycra is tres comfortable, might even invest in another pair for sitting about the office in work :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

When you're peddaling, your pelvis shouldn't sway to sides. I set my seat by laying foot on pedal, but not usualy, but with the heel on the axle. And the leg was stretched. After that adjustmet it was perfect. And having padded lycra or baggy shorts. It could look "different" for the first time, but the feeling of speed, that no wind is being catched in your cloths...
    I do ride MTB now and I prefere baggy clothing, however I do have lycra shorts and I am not affraid to use them anytime I want to. It is not gayish, it is the knowledge. You know, what is good. Wet suits are also not "gay", they are functional. It is you who should feel only joy from your hobby, so why torture yourself in something uncomfortable just because of few unexperienced people? :-)

Advertisement