Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

to sell or fix

Options
  • 19-07-2007 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭

im a stupid ****er i know that, i stupidly crashed today and caused 3000 worth of damage to my car a volvo s40, anyhow the car was worth about 8.5
    k.. my insurance will pay for the damages , but am wondering is it worth taking the insurance cheque trying to sell my car on and buying another.. (the damage was to the rear, needs a new boot, back lining, possibly rear wing etc) or just to get i fixed and keep driving, from previous experiences has anyone made money by selling a damaged car and upgrading with the insurance money

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Whatever chance you have of making money on a crashed car is seriously diminished by the fact it's an S40, which aren't expensive s/h to begin with and that not many people want to buy the hassle of fixing a car.

I say fix it and keep driving

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭patrickc

ninty9er wrote:
    Whatever chance you have of making money on a crashed car is seriously diminished by the fact it's an S40, which aren't expensive s/h to begin with and that not many people want to buy the hassle of fixing a car.

I say fix it and keep driving

the real benefit is its a diesel both from my point of view and a resale view, theres not half as many as petrols about

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

that improves the chances. but I still doubt very much you could make any money. The insurance company will probably pay the bill directly to the repairer. Insurance is specifically designed so that it's nigh on impossible to make a profit. It's one of the 6 principles underlying the damn thing:mad: :mad: :mad: Still it doesn't stop the insurers themseves raking in the cash!!!

ninty9er wrote:
    that improves the chances. but I still doubt very much you could make any money. The insurance company will probably pay the bill directly to the repairer. Insurance is specifically designed so that it's nigh on impossible to make a profit. It's one of the 6 principles underlying the damn thing:mad: :mad: :mad: Still it doesn't stop the insurers themseves raking in the cash!!!

or the garages upping their prices to insurer's. its my preimium that'll be affected thats why id like to make the quick buck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

its my preimium that'll be affected

And everyone elses!!!!!

• Advertisement

Kenny 5 wrote:
    And everyone elses!!!!!

for a 3/4k claim and no one else involved ull be ok kenny

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

usually there are very big differences in repair costs. shop around cos a friends son was in the same position with a €6k bill. it was eventually fixed for something like €1200 with a little corner cutting. the first quote was because he was busy and didn't want the work...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

ninty9er wrote:
    The insurance company will probably pay the bill directly to the repairer.
    Not with Quinn they don't. Made out to owner.

ballooba wrote:
    Not with Quinn they don't. Made out to owner.

oh im with quinn.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

oh im with quinn.....
    A Quinn insured driver crashed into me. The cheque didn't clear on time for me to pay the crash repair centre. I paid them out of my own pocket and waited for the cheque to clear. I could have just as easily gone to a cheaper place or bought scrap parts and kept the balance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement