Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you fooled?

• 19-07-2007 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭

I feel like I've walked into a men's jacks but I don't care (...ish)

Anyway, you know the way soft drink companies try to fool men into buying low-cal drinks by giving them "masculine", or at least non-feminine, names like "Max" (Pepsi) and "Zero" (Coke) and the packaging is really "manly" - dark blue without a hint of pastel for Pepsi Max and the ultimate in manliness: black for Coke Zero.
    Have any of you BGRH brethren ever been fooled into buying these drinks? Because... they're actually just girlie d**t (I believe the word can't actually be spelt out on this forum) drinks and may as well be in a pale pink can with glittery sparkles and pictures of butterflies on it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Once while out drinking with a friend of mine he bought me a Bulmers light :eek: instead of the regular Bulmers. I was pretty shocked tbh!!! I drank it but it was horrible!!!!!!

He's no longer my friend for the above either!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Dudess wrote:
    Have any of you BGRH brethren ever been fooled into buying these drinks? Because... they're actually just girlie d**t (I believe the word can't actually be spelt out on this forum) drinks and may as well be in a pale pink can with glittery sparkles and pictures of butterflies on it.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭HAPPYGIRL

Of course they've all tried them, just don't expect them to admit it here! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I drink Diet Coke in the hopes it will make me look like the builder out of the advert...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Dudess wrote:
    you know the way soft drink companies try to fool men into buying low-cal drinks
    No! Soft drinks? Low-cal drinks? What are you talking about? What is a soft drink?

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Once while out drinking with a friend of mine he bought me a Bulmers light :eek: instead of the regular Bulmers. I was pretty shocked tbh!!! I drank it but it was horrible!!!!!!

He's no longer my friend for the above either!!!!
    Recently, a friend bought me a pint of that sissy extra cold Guinness instead of the real thing! He's still trying to make excuses. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I drink Diet Coke
    Get thee out of here!

Mods! Mods!

Recently, a friend bought me a pint of that sissy extra cold Guinness instead of the real thing! He's still trying to make excuses. :rolleyes:
    In my local pub you have to ask for Old or Cold Guinness...

I hates the cold stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I was in London recently and most times when I asked for a Guinness the barman reached for the extra cold tap. Had to keep reminding them, no sissy Guinness for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Wouldnt let a drop of that girly goo touch my lips tbh, it's made more for your butch female types who drink it to feel more manly, poor things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

tuxy wrote:
    I was in London recently and most times when I asked for a Guinness the barman reached for the extra cold tap. Had to keep reminding them, no sissy Guinness for me!

F00kin metrosexual london nancy-boys dragging down the good name of our national drink.. and what's all this crap I been reading about draught Guinness?! :eek:

It should be bought off the shelf - in bottles - warm bottles at that!

• Advertisement

That's how my granny used to drink it... so it doesn't seem terribly manly to me..

At least Guinness Light never took off.... although don't they have a low alcohol content Guinness on a trail run down in Limerick? The poor bastards...

Irish Wolf wrote:
    It should be bought off the shelf - in bottles - warm bottles at that!
    Aye - warm pint bottles!

At least Guinness Light never took off....
    Ah, the memories - "They said it couldn't be done" AND THEY WERE RIGHT! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

That's how my granny used to drink it... so it doesn't seem terribly manly to me..

At least Guinness Light never took off.... although don't they have a low alcohol content Guinness on a trail run down in Limerick? The poor bastards...

Brother - you openly admitted to drinking diet coke.. me thinks your granny had bigger kahunas than yourself.. ;)

As for the low alcohol version - it's only served to the foreigners - after they sign away all their rights to hold the "pub" responsible for the hiding they may or may not get after leaving said establishment.. which will be promptly knocked to the ground after it becomes public knowledge that they're serving water masqueraded as the black stuff!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

What are you talking about? What is a soft drink?

I think it has something to do with the PH content of the water it's made with !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Dudess wrote:

Anyway, you know the way soft drink companies try to fool men into buying low-cal drinks by giving them "masculine", or at least non-feminine, names like "Max" (Pepsi) and "Zero" (Coke) and the packaging is really "manly" - dark blue without a hint of pastel for Pepsi Max

I was following your post upto 'pastel'.

No need to make up words, I shalll not be reading further.

Good day to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Dudess wrote:

You may well have - there is no wimmins jacks here ;)
    Dudess wrote:
    Have any of you BGRH brethren ever been fooled into buying these drinks?

Never. These 'soft' drinks (full sugar versions) should only be used as mixers and not as a complete drink. I wouldn't be fooled even after a barrel of Guinness.

You are welcome to head over to the bar and ask for such a concotion, but you may as well be speaking Swahili - the barman will just give you a blank stare and say "beer?".

As an example..........

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Never have never will. If it ain't broke don't fix it is what I always say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Pepsi Max - Yuch
    Diet Coke - Disgusting

Unfortunately when they release these 'healthier' versions of their drinks they take everything good from them away. Yes I've tried them, and I'll never drink them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

No never really bothered with them. More a water man (dehydrated after previous days/nights drinking).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

One of the reasons I mostly drink Beamish is because of Guinness's attempts to emasculate itself with lightness and coolness. Down with this sort of thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

J.S. Pill wrote:
    One of the reasons I mostly drink Beamish is because of Guinness's attempts to emasculate itself with lightness and coolness. Down with this sort of thing

I've always wanted to see what Beamish is like.

I find it funny when they name "Manly" products. Like Flora Tubro, Gillette GTi, Special K M-16 flavour, Danone Activia Jaguar!

People are panseys when they eat or drink anything with "Diet" on them. As if you're going to be any more prepared in case you come accross a Triathlon on your way home from work!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Yeah, happened to me once, I picked up a 12 year old special reserve ed. of Lagavulin instead of the 16 year old :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm sipping on a can of proper coke now. :)

I was once forced to have a sip of d**t coke. The b@stards who were in charge of refillng the coke machine at work filled it entirely with d**t coke.
    No matter what you picked you got d**t f***ing coke. Tasted disgusting, threw it in the bin straight away.
    I have however never drank any form of light beer or any other kind of watered down sh*te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

Duggy747 wrote:

Whats been stoppin ya!?

I've come across plenty of pubs outside Cork that serve it, not to mention the fact that you can find it in pretty much any offy in the counrty (not quite the same though is it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

i really wish coke (or any company) would bring out a heavy, more sugary, extra cafinated fatty brand. in a tin that could never be recycled and was disasterous for the environment. Id buy it and stick it to the pc man.

weemcd wrote:
    i really wish coke (or any company) would bring out a heavy, more sugary, extra cafinated fatty brand. in a tin that could never be recycled and was disasterous for the environment. Id buy it and stick it to the pc man.

Me too:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭sioda

Bring back Jolt a real Cola

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Duggy747 wrote:

I'm a Guinness drinker - I love the stuff. But if I'm in Cork I'll switch to Murphys - lovely. A little creamier than Guinness. But Beamish is pure crap - real coarse to taste. I tried it a couple of times and each time I hated it. It's just not smooth enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Well... my drink of choice is... VODKA AND DIET COKE!!! Ha ha! *Runs*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Never been a big fan of fizzy drinks either way, they make you feel bloated and hence impede your ability to eat more. This fact combined with the total lack of alcohol contained within them means they are practically useless to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Stirling

Think Coke is the healthier option by far - if you have to use those fountain machines they have in Night Clubs the gas in Diet Coke takes about three times as long to go down as Coke does, can't be good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

ya heard of this south africa guinness stuff? apparently its 3 times as strong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Well brothers, like Monkey Fudge I too will be brave and come forth.

I would choose diet coke over "real" coke and for the following reasons:

a) Less sugar = Less erosion on teeth = 1. Nice teeth for pulling wimmens and 2. Stronger teeth so I can eat more.

b) It's what was always bought for me, thus I prefer it.

c) I cannot stand the gritty feeling on my teeth after drinking coke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Mear wrote:
    a) Less sugar = Less erosion on teeth = 1. Nice teeth for pulling wimmens and 2. Stronger teeth so I can eat more.

I can see the sense in point 2 and it's an important consideration for all brothers, but rotten teeth never stopped Shane McGowan from pulling wimmins so that's not really much of an excuse, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Yes but what if you don't have the musical ability to back it up...

Besides, it may not have stopped him pulling women, but he could've pulled so many more with nice teeth.

Advertisement