Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym in city center.

Options
  • 19-07-2007 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

Heya,
    I'm looking for a gym in the city center that preferably does student rates. I've searched Google etc.. But the only one that comes up is the Metropole :confused: .
    The Mardyke is too far out so isn't really an option for me.
    Just wondering if anyone knows of any with reasonable rates in town.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

not sure about rates but I believe the Gresham Metropole has a gym and there is also a gym called 'River's Edge' (or something like that) over by the FAS building in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Jurys has a new Gym, the Metropole has one, River's Edge has one near the FAS building, and next to Rearden's Mill, there's a very swish spot called "The Locker Room".

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Ah The Locker Room - I was in Liberty Grill one night, munching away when I realised you could watch people training, upstairs in the Gym across the way - which must be the Locker Room - made for interesting spectating - dinner and entertainment rolled into one!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

From what I remember the Locker Room is fairly expensive, city centre location notwithstanding. I'm a member of Sano Vitae, the Clarion's gym - it's around €50 a month, but I joined through work so I dont know what the non-corporate rates are. Damn fine gym though, sauna, jacuzzie and pool as well as the usual gym equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

L&#233 wrote: »
    Heya,
    the only one that comes up is the Metropole :confused: .
    The Mardyke is too far out so isn't really an option for me.

You've lost me there!!!
    Know nothing about fitness but I would have thought it had something to do with exercise?
    So why the hesitancy ( or refusal) to walk ten minutes to a Gymmmm?
    Kind of contradictory it would seem to me.
    Forgive my ignorance plz if I've got this all wrong.

Regards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

You've lost me there!!!
    Know nothing about fitness but I would have thought it had something to do with exercise?

Regards.

Well maybe the OP is considering that after a hard workout a long walk home isn't the best thing to have to deal with (either from the point of view of warming down or for travel time concerns).

Well done on being a smart-arse though. Full marks for effort.

I thought it was a remark more of a commonsense nature rather than smart-arsery. But then, what would I know.

Fysh wrote:
    Well maybe the OP is considering that after a hard workout a long walk home isn't the best thing to have to deal with (either from the point of view of warming down or for travel time concerns).
    So, perhaps a fitness expert like yourself could educate us couch-potatoes as to what minimum walking distance a Gymnasium user would consider the optimum ( in regard to "warming down" etc.) Five minutes walk; one minute? Or a taxi home at the end of a session.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

It could also be a time factor. If I only have one hour spare, I don't want to spend half of it walking to and from the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

You've lost me there!!!

Regards.

Well basically i'm a teenage girl going into my leaving cert year, my school is in town so it seems like the best option especially as i'll most likely be using the gym in the evenings/nights after school or after study.
    I don't really relish having to walk that distance on my own especially during the winter months when it will be dark and my parents don't really relish the idea either.

Also, like others suggested time is also a factor. I live in the suburbs and don't really want to be getting home too late either.

Thanks for the help so far everyone, really appreciated :D

Well Lean,
    That makes a whole lot of sense. You're doing the sensible and responsible thing indeed.

Best wishes in finding a suitable Gym that meets your requirements.

• Advertisement
Advertisement