Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultrasonic anti-(whatever) devices

Options
  • 19-07-2007 1:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭

Best way to explain is to give an example:
    http://www.tesco-shopping.com/CatDogStop.htm

I'm being driven absolutely insane by what I suspect is some really crap device similar to the one in the link.
    The main difference is that it sounds non-stop, all day, every day... my guess is that the person who owns it is either deaf, stupid or spiteful.
    I don't know who in the neighbourhood owns it or exactly where it's coming from, but it's absolute torture to listen to.
    I know humans aren't supposed to hear it, but the one I'm hearing must be completely crap because I can hear it. (It's only around ~10KHz, the part I can hear anyway)
    That's my best guess as to what this noise is anyway... some cheap piece of crap anti-animal device.

As aggrieved as I am by this 24/7 nuisance, it must surely be animal cruelty... if I was a dog I'd want to blow my own brains out... getting there myself as it is. :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

Best way to explain is to give an example:
    http://www.tesco-shopping.com/CatDogStop.htm

I'm being driven absolutely insane by what I suspect is some really crap device similar to the one in the link.
    The main difference is that it sounds non-stop, all day, every day... my guess is that the person who owns it is either deaf, stupid or spiteful.
    I don't know who in the neighbourhood owns it or exactly where it's coming from, but it's absolute torture to listen to.
    I know humans aren't supposed to hear it, but the one I'm hearing must be completely crap because I can hear it. (It's only around ~10KHz, the part I can hear anyway)
    That's my best guess as to what this noise is anyway... some cheap piece of crap anti-animal device.

As aggrieved as I am by this 24/7 nuisance, it must surely be animal cruelty... if I was a dog I'd want to blow my own brains out... getting there myself as it is. :mad:

Where is it? Is it near your house? It could me that "mosquito" thing that some shops and chippers and the like have. The tone is at a pitch that you'd only be able to hear if you were a teenager so it stops them loitering outside. having said that, I'm 22 and I can hear it! Drives me mad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Leeby wrote:
    Where is it? Is it near your house?
    Yep, it seems to be coming from one of the neighbouring gardens.
    Leeby wrote:
    It could me that "mosquito" thing that some shops and chippers and the like have. The tone is at a pitch that you'd only be able to hear if you were a teenager so it stops them loitering outside. having said that, I'm 22 and I can hear it! Drives me mad!
    Yeah this is the thing... older people in my family can't hear it at all... lucky bastards... presumably the owners of said nuisance device can't hear it either.
    So if I were to go knocking door-to-door asking about this elusive sound, I think they'd call the men in white coats... or at least roll their eyes and slam the door in my face.
    There are a lot of (vocal) dogs in my neighbourhood, so I think there's a good chance that it's one of those anti-bark devices.
    I work from home too, so I'm pestered by it all day long (at least when I want the ventilation of an open window)... honest to God it's like Chinese water torture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Lemon

DonkeyStyle I have had exactly the same experience with a 'device' that apparently only animals (i.e cats or dogs) can hear. They are usually activated by movement in the direction they are pointing. My neighbours had one of these devices pointing in the direction of their washing line..so you can imagine the thing was going off constantly whenever they had washing out...

The only good side was that the battery ran out pretty quickly as it was constantly activated and they never saw fit to replace it......

PS these things do not stop dogs barking or cats going into your garden in my experience....and my neighbours were using it to annoy us too, pointing it at our washing line at one stage...worse than Chinese Water Torture :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Yeah actually the sound was gone there yesterday, for the first time in about a month of non-stop beeping/squeaking... I was delighted, I could actually sit out in the garden again... then I woke up today and it was back... I can only assume it was the battery running flat, then being changed.
    Plenty of chest-tightness today with the stress of it returning. :mad:

Advertisement