Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D-Day: 28 Days

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭D. Coughlan

There will be tumbleweed rolling by when ye read it, but:

Will there be anyone not drinking alcohol come Wednesday night??
    Yes me, I do not believe in Alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Yes me, I do not believe in Alcohol.
    Here's another. Just live with an alcoholic for a few years and you'll find you never want to touch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

ethernet wrote:
    Here's another. Just live with an alcoholic for a few years and you'll find you never want to touch it.

I too have seen the trouble alcohol can cause in families and friends.
    I drink, but I don't drink myself to oblivion like most people I know do.
    Generally, Irish people are very irresponsible drinkers as you all probably know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

i can't drink too much for medical reasons. Can have at the most 2 bottles or 1 pint, but that's it!

Yeah.. I feel kinda bad now..

Im one of those "irresponsible drinkers".

Meh. Im only young once.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

I drink frequently, but rarely binge, which is probably more dangerous....

I'm *sort of* a lightweight, and am surrounded by alcoholics everyday, it's a tragedy alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

I usually only drink enough to have the craic. If my night ended with me panned out somewhere unconcious then it was a bad night. Except for my graduation. God I drank a lot that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Well fortunately my stomachs resistance is very weak to alcohol so it stops me drinking too much, most i could drink on a night out would probably be 8 bottles but i think i'll stretch to 10 + shots on Wednesday:D :eek:

Plus i've been very good this summer, only drink once a week sometimes twice!

Morning after wont be fun!

I have to work thursday morning at 10am!

I will still be drunk going in.. so hopefully, if im lucky.. they might just send me home! :D

md99 wrote:
    I drink frequently, but rarely binge, which is probably more dangerous....

I'm *sort of* a lightweight, and am surrounded by alcoholics everyday, it's a tragedy alright...

LOL, it's quite the opposite in fact.
    Drinking 3-4 units(i.e a pint/bottle or wine etc) of alcohol a day isn't going to hurt you.
    It's only when you drink in excess that it really can **** you up.
    Most people I know *save* drinking for the weekend where they will drink a weeks worth of alcohol in 2 days.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 toastomatic

A bit every day wont hurt you, but youre more likely to get addicted...
    A bottle of wine a day mightn't damage your organs straight away but you will need more and more to get the same effect and you inadvertantly start hurting people all around you by the things you do and say and how you act and how you always have to have it. And people who are defensive or lie about how much they drink it are always the ones.... :(

A bit every day wont hurt you, but youre more likely to get addicted... :(

True enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,933 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I didn't drink til i was 18, so i've been drinking a month and a bit now...
    Last night was my 4th night out in a row, i'll only manage 2-4 drinks a night. In the 4 nights i paid for two drinks...i'd be better off if people didn't buy me any then i'd probably drink even less. Waiting til i was 18 gave me a great sense of pride and when i drink now i don't feel guilty coz i think i owe it to myself for waiting for so long.

Wednesday night will be composed of a chinese and a few quiet drinks with my mam and my best friend...then head to galway thursday to the cinema or summat like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Vodka straight (or with coke maybe) will lessen the hangover effect due to the purity of the drink in terms of alcohol. Stuff like Heinken and Budwieser will heighten the hangover effect due to all the feckin chemicals they put in them. Thats my take on it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

cson wrote:
    Vodka straight (or with coke maybe) will lessen the hangover effect due to the purity of the drink in terms of alcohol. Stuff like Heinken and Budwieser will heighten the hangover effect due to all the feckin chemicals they put in them. Thats my take on it anyway.
    IMO the "chemicals" that apparently give you a worse hangover are overhyped. If you mix drinks you're more likely to be sick, yes, but the same amount of alcohol taken in in just vodka or just beer will probably cause the as bad a hangover. I've never been sick or had a hangover any worse than a heavy head for 2/3 hours from drinking just beer.

Alcohol is primarily what causes the hangover. Generally, anything else is negligible. Considering it's a lot easier to drink a lot of vodka quickly, you're more likely to drink more than if you were on beer and, in fact, have a worse hangover as a result.

So keep drink mixing to a minimum. If you do mix, drink spirits before beer, and drink a pint of water for every 2 pints/units of alcohol equivilant to a pint you've drank that night when you get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

MAybe when mixed vodka is easier to drink but raw its hardly that easy

Hmmm, also from my experiences drinking large quantities of cider is to be avoided should you not want to feel like death the next morning. I dunno what it is about cider but the hangovers are explosive.

The pint of water thing is good advice though. Never had a hangover when I remembered to drink a pint of water before going to bed.

It's not nice, but it is easier to get more alcohol into you by drinking vodka straight than beer.

For example, you take a swig from a bottle of vodka. You cringe, shudder and your throat burns, but you're ok after 30 seconds and you've just drank the equivilant to a can of beer. Depending on the frequency of these swigs, you could be pretty wasted pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

cson wrote:
    Hmmm, also from my experiences drinking large quantities of cider is to be avoided should you not want to feel like death the next morning. I dunno what it is about cider but the hangovers are explosive.

The pint of water thing is good advice though. Never had a hangover when I remembered to drink a pint of water before going to bed.

Usually i would drink as much water as i can before going to bed after drinking, it usually does prevent the hangover. However i think it does have a limit. I was at a wedding last week and i drank about 8 pints, 5 glasses of wine and a few glasses of champagne. When i got home i drank alot of water and went to bed. Had the worst hangover EVER that following day, water didnt seem to do the trick unfortunately!

I've a friend who can down a pint of Guinness in 6.8 secs. We timed him one nite, he did it 5 times in a row and quickly disappeared to the jacks soon after never to be seen again.

*Thats not something to be proud of kids, no matter how cool it sounds! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

WHOA this thread has gone AWOL

Yeah it has... now only 17 hours 38 minutes left until our destiny is revealed!

That's such a waste of lovely guinness...!!

Usually i would drink as much water as i can before going to bed after drinking, it usually does prevent the hangover. However i think it does have a limit. I was at a wedding last week and i drank about 8 pints, 5 glasses of wine and a few glasses of champagne. When i got home i drank alot of water and went to bed. Had the worst hangover EVER that following day, water didnt seem to do the trick unfortunately!
    Well, you'd need to drink 8-10 pints of water to combat that, which isn't really possible to do in a short amount of time.(could be dangerous too)

If you wanted to avoid a hangover from that you'd want to stay up for like 2-3 hours slowly drinking that much water and going to the bathroom at regular intervals, and probably take some kind of vitamin supplement.

wine and beer dont mix either. stick with either the grape or the grain...but not both! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Absolutely.Aside from actually getting my 1st CAO choice on Monday the 20th, that its the thing i'm most looking forward too.Finally getting to tell my business teacher what a bitch she is, and how she couldn't teach a ****ing fish to swim!Useless!!

I hope it will be a proud moment for you:D .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Alcohol is primarily what causes the hangover. Generally, anything else is negligible. Considering it's a lot easier to drink a lot of vodka quickly, you're more likely to drink more than if you were on beer and, in fact, have a worse hangover as a result.
    Yea, but it's methyl alcohol rather than ethyl alcohol that causes the hangovers (incidently it also makes you blind and is extremly toxic) A properly distilled spirit will have no methanol, so it's often advisable to fork out that bit extra for a decent drink rather than a supermarket own-brand or the ol' Smirnoff Red

Tesco Extra Value scotch ftw! :D

Cobra beer ftw;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Well, you'd need to drink 8-10 pints of water to combat that, which isn't really possible to do in a short amount of time.(could be dangerous too)

If you wanted to avoid a hangover from that you'd want to stay up for like 2-3 hours slowly drinking that much water and going to the bathroom at regular intervals, and probably take some kind of vitamin supplement.

lol, go thow up FTW... I'm far from experienced but the one time I did mix wine and beer (and spirits come to think of it) I threw up that night and had absolutely no hang over...

Advertisement