Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D-Day: 28 Days

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

cson wrote:
    Vodka straight (or with coke maybe) will lessen the hangover effect due to the purity of the drink in terms of alcohol. Stuff like Heinken and Budwieser will heighten the hangover effect due to all the feckin chemicals they put in them. Thats my take on it anyway.

QFT, the reason I've given up on pints recently.

wine and beer dont mix either. stick with either the grape or the grain...but not both! lol
    "Beer then wine you're fine, wine then beer you'll feel queer" as the saying goes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 toastomatic

never heard that one! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

carlowboy wrote:
    "Beer then wine you're fine, wine then beer you'll feel queer" as the saying goes

Lol. Now if only I could make up one that ryhmes with alcopops/smirnoff ice/west coast etc

Wonder if it'd catch on! lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Sean_K wrote:
    Yea, but it's methyl alcohol rather than ethyl alcohol that causes the hangovers (incidently it also makes you blind and is extremly toxic) A properly distilled spirit will have no methanol, so it's often advisable to fork out that bit extra for a decent drink rather than a supermarket own-brand or the ol' Smirnoff Red
    Are you sure? I really don't think they'd allow ANY methanol in alcoholic beverages. I'd also have a hard time believing that methanol is the main cause of hangovers, as there could only be trace amounts at most in any drink or else a lot more people would be going randomly blind. Sure a hangover is essentially a withdrawal from alcohol coupled with dehydration and a lack of vital salts in your body which you wash out from going to the toilet so much(alcohol is a diuretic).

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Are you sure? I really don't think they'd allow ANY methanol in alcoholic beverages. I'd also have a hard time believing that methanol is the main cause of hangovers, as there could only be trace amounts at most in any drink or else a lot more people would be going randomly blind. Sure a hangover is essentially a withdrawal from alcohol coupled with dehydration and a lack of vital salts in your body which you wash out from going to the toilet so much(alcohol is a diuretic).

Hmmmm....I felt like I was going blind during one night drinking Absolut vodka!

Re drinking plenty of water before heading to bed, all that does is for me is that I'll piss all night. I hate that!

carlowboy wrote:
    Are you sure that it shouldn't be "before" rather than "then"?

The saying I always had for mixing spirits and beer was:
    "Beer before liquor, you've never been sicker, liquor before beer, you're in the clear".

And that seems to imply that it'd be advisable to drink wine before beer, as it has a higher alcohol content, no? Though wine is very different from a spirit, so....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Liquor before beer, all clear. Beer before liquor, never sicker.

I suppose the morale of the story is don't mix your drinks!

• Advertisement

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Are you sure that it shouldn't be "before" rather than "then"?

The saying I always had for mixing spirits and beer was:
    "Beer before liquor, you've never been sicker, liquor before beer, you're in the clear".

And that seems to imply that it'd be advisable to drink wine before beer, as it has a higher alcohol content, no? Though wine is very different from a spirit, so....

Its a comparison more than anything so I don't see the difference?

Me no understand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭DtotheK

just back from the cinema, forgot bout the results until i got back...

and i have my attire for wednesday night ready! go me!

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Me no understand

I don't really get what point you're trying to make?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

While we're on it, note:

Beer before wine, makes you feel fine. Wine before beer, makes you feel queer.

I've no idea if it's true or not as I don't touch wine, hate the stuff..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭fionated7

not gonna worry bout beer or wine... got my bottle of vodka ready to go!!!

God this day has gone sooooooooo slow! :(

Hurry up and be tomorrow already..

Yes vodka for me too..wooooo yeah! Plus i dont wanna be getting a beer belly from that **** at like 300cals a pop!!! :eek:

cals went way out the window today!! comfort eating has set in and i havent even got the dreaded piece of paper yet!!!!

md99 wrote:
    While we're on it, note:

Beer before wine, makes you feel fine. Wine before beer, makes you feel queer.

I've no idea if it's true or not as I don't touch wine, hate the stuff..
    Check the last page :rolleyes:

carlowboy wrote:
    I don't really get what point you're trying to make?
    My saying says drink spirits before beer.
    Your saying says drink beer before wine.
    Due to my saying, I'd reasoned that one should drink wine before beer, since it has a higher alcohol content than beer and it was sorta logical that way, but your saying is the opposite.
    Hence me being a bit confused.

Also, vodka? Amateurs. I've my bottle of absinthe ready to go :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Extreme-LoopZ

fionated7 wrote:
    cals went way out the window today!! comfort eating has set in and i havent even got the dreaded piece of paper yet!!!!

same here, tell me about it:rolleyes:

ah well if we dont get into college we can go to fat camp together!!

JC 2K3 wrote:
    My saying says drink spirits before beer.
    Your saying says drink beer before wine.
    Due to my saying, I'd reasoned that one should drink wine before beer, since it has a higher alcohol content than beer and it was sorta logical that way, but your saying is the opposite.
    Hence me being a bit confused.

Also, vodka? Amateurs. I've my bottle of absinthe ready to go :)

Its only a phrase.....

I see your absinthe and raise you a half litre of poitin!

Yes, but I'm analytical about these things.

And poitín and absinthe are around the same percentage(I have half a litre of 80% stuff and my friend has about the same amount of 85% stuff). Poitín is anything between 70% and 95% AFAIK.

I'm wondering if it's a good idea to take it to school and give everyone shots afterwards - at like 9:30 am :p

Ah but poitín is buying oirish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Yes, but I'm analytical about these things.

And poitín and absinthe are around the same percentage(I have half a litre of 80% stuff and my friend has about the same amount of 85% stuff). Poitín is anything between 70% and 95% AFAIK.

I'm wondering if it's a good idea to take it to school and give everyone shots afterwards - at like 9:30 am :p
    Just raid your chemistry lab and swipe the pure ethanol (not the methylated stuff)

It costs about €100 for about half a litre AFAIK, but isguaranteed togo downeasy and mixes well with just about anyting;)

Advertisement