Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to set up intenet radio.

• 19-07-2007 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

well i know there are Tons of internet radio around but plez tell me how to begine with.... I wanna one of those stupid..I m dying for that.

Is there any regulatory body for that.
    What about copyright issues.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

do you want to start a station or tune into one?
    Do you want to use your PC or an Internet Radio Device?
    What kind of internet access do you have?
    Where do you want to listen to radio?

etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

confuzed wrote:
    Is there any regulatory body for that.

no. the internet is still considered free from such evil...
    confuzed wrote:
    What about copyright issues.

unless you've paid to play copyright songs, you can't play them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I know that Irish radio stations that stream live on the web have to pay a fee to IMRO.

At the moment we livestream our radio station through a dedicated Linux server, but if you're just starting out there is a pretty easy to use plug in for Winamp that's lets you stream over the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

I have PC and 6 MB broadband connection.
    Axctually i m working on a website for closed community and want 2 add some entertainment on dat..
    I have made my choice to pipe few available channels on my site with thier prior permission... in that case i will need not worry for copyright...
    Pleae tell me know if i can stream some prercorded gossip over there without annoying any authority...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Look up VLC or Icecast they might do what you want

www.videolan.org/vlc/

www.icecast.org/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

confuzed wrote:
    I have PC and 6 MB broadband connection.
    Axctually i m working on a website for closed community and want 2 add some entertainment on dat..
    I have made my choice to pipe few available channels on my site with thier prior permission... in that case i will need not worry for copyright...
    Pleae tell me know if i can stream some prercorded gossip over there without annoying any authority...
    Bandwidth certainly is an issue... I know it was eating through ours till I lowered the quality.

If it's talk radio you should be fine... it's only when you get into music that you can run into problems as an extra fee needs to be paid to IMRO to broadcast music on an internet livestream.

That said I don't think they actively chase these things down, so feel free to take your chances. The record companies might have a thing or two to say if you get big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

OP: whats your upload bandwidth? I'm thinking it is only 512kb/sec. With that type of bandwidth you are talking about 10-12 users listening at the same time before your bandwidth is used up. Its your upload thats the problem.

I set an internet stream for a community radio station before and we purchased slots from streamsolutions.co.uk. 50x32kb slots for example will cost you 26 euro a month with them.

Edit: if you do not want to stream live then disregard the above.

Advertisement