Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips please.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

You go boy! Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭johnnysmurfman

God I'm good.

Fried 2 chicken fillets in the pan with some unsalted butter, then added 2 choped garlic cloves, 2 Portobello chopped mushrooms, a chicken stock cube, half a glass of white wine and some double cream, allowed to simmer for a few minutes and then served sprinkled with fresh chives accompanied by new potatoes, carrott and parsnip. It was delicious and I only had to go to pretend to go to the toilet to look at the recipe once! She's coming over for dinner again next Saturday, God, now I'm just trapped in a big web of my own dirty little cookery lies....................bbc cookery website here I come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

God, now I'm just trapped in a big web of my own dirty little cookery lies....................

Don't say I didn't warn you ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

rockbeer wrote:
    Don't say I didn't warn you ;)
    When you're in a hole -just keep digging!

Lol!

Well done! Get that man a shovel someone....!

• Advertisement

Under pressure again for Saturday. Last night when cooking for myself only, I fried the last of the portobello mushrooms with some garlic and served with pasta and Dolmio stir in sauce, it was pretty good actually but I need to make it a bit more respectable, i.e. add some meat and substitute the Dolmio for some respectable sauce that's not from a tub. Any suggestions? Maybe I could fry some beef cut into thin strips?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Why not fillet steak with mushrooms, homemade roasted chipped potatoes and a salad?

You fry the fillet steak in a very hot pan, cooking it for whatever way you like it. Depending on the thickness, 3-4mins each side would do it medium.

Chop up a load of mushrooms finely and heat in a pot with some butter and crushed garlic till they shrink away to nothing. (chop the mushrooms in advance but they only need 5-10 mins to cook)

Peel some potatoes and chop into mouth sized pieces. (Depending on size I would say 3 potatoes each would be lots) Put into a pot of cold water. When the water is boiling set a timer for about 7mins. When that time has passed drain off the water and gently shake.

Take a roasting dish/oven proof dish, put the potatoes in it with lashings of olive oil, some salt, pepper and (if you like) some dried herbs. Cook in a hot oven for about 30 mins or until golden brown. You can also throw some garlic in with them for the last 10 mins or so to give them a nice flavour, you can also eat the roasted garlic if you like.

For the salad just have a good mix of leaves, tomatoes, red peppers, spring onions, radshes etc then toss together with some oil and a sqeeze of fresh lemon/lime juice.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

JSM, try a beef stroganoff if you're feeling daring? I love this recipe (which'd feed more than the two of you, but reheats are good):

750g fillet steak
    125g butter
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    500g sliced mushrooms (I'd just use close-cap button mushrooms, but you can get adventurous if you want)
    salt & pepper

6 fluid ounces of water with 2 beef stock cubes, (or a little over 1/3 of a pint of strong beef stock)
    2 tablespoons tomato puree
    300ml sour cream (you buy sour cream in tubs at the supermarket, I'm not suggesting you buy fresh yourself and leave it in the fridge for a month...)
    1 teaspooon cornflour

I serve this with tagliatelle pasta - cook enough for two people using the recommended serving sizes and times on the packet. If you use fresh egg tagliatelle, which takes about two to three minutes in boiling water, it will be an extremely rich meal, but it cooks so quickly you can literally throw it on just as the sauce is done, watch it for two minutes and then drain it, thereby reducing the risk of serving soggy, overcooked pasta.

Method

Cut your fillet steak into bite-sized strips. Heat half the butter in a non-stick pan until very hot, and then seal the meat in batches - this means dropping a few pieces at a time into the butter and tossing them until they go from red to grey-brown all over. As they seal, take them out of the pan and put them on a plate - do this until all the meat is sealed.

In the same pan, add the other half of the butter and allow to melt, then add the chopped onion, Saute the onion - this means stir it about in the melted butter until it's starting to lightly brown.

Add the sliced mushrooms and allow them to cook down until they shrink a little - this'll take maybe 7 or 8 mins. Turn the heat down if you're finding it difficult to stop the onion and mushroom from burning or sticking to the pan - especially if you don't have a non-stick pan and you've had to use a steel one instead.

Now return the meat to the pan (get all the juices off the plate in there too), and add the tomato puree and either your water and stock cubes or your strong beef stock. Season with a good few twists of black pepper and a good pinch of salt.

Mix your sour cream and the teaspoon of cornflour in a bowl.

Let the meat and stock etc. come to boiling point, then reduce the heat under it and let it simmer for five minutes. Then gradually add the cream/cornflour mixture, a little at a time, and stir it into the pan as you add it. The whole mixture will thicken and start to bubble. Let it simmer for five minutes, then serve with tagliatelle.

Variation

Smoked sweet paprika - a half teaspoon of this, added at the same time as you return the meat to the pan, will change the flavour of this dish. It's a great dish without the paprika, and an interesting dish with it. If you're unsure, leave it out, and then the next day when you're scarfing the leftovers for your lunch, add a little smoked paprika while you're reheating so you can see what it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Try this Chicken Savoyarde recipe from Tamasin Day Lewis. It will really impress.

The hardest part is making the sauce. The chicken could be cooked the day before. The stock can be refridgerated once cold and the fat is easily taken off the top of the stock with a spoon.

The cooked flour and butter mixture is called a roux and is the basis for many sauces - cook on a gentle heat to avoid burning. Add the hot stock gradually and whisk or stir until smooth with each addition.

(Sorry if this is teaching your Granny to suck eggs)

The recipe serves 6, so reduce the quantities accordingly, I would use half the ingredients for the sauce. Buy a whole chicken and cut off the legs for another recipe. Poach the rest for about 1 hour. You shouldn't worry too much about all the vegetables for poaching the chicken - they add flavour but a bit of thyme and an onion & carrot will do the trick. Poaching the chicken keeps it moist.

You don't need to use Gruyere cheese - a strong chedder makes a good alternative.

This whole cooking thing is just out of control at the moment, those recipies are far too much hassle, what was wrong with my pasta, mushroom, garlic, beef suggestion? All I need is the ingredients for a tomato sauce to serve with it. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

• Advertisement

All this grammes and fluid ounces nonsense has me driven round the bend. You should have seen me last night trying to calculate grammes of butter from a 454 gramme block without the aid of a measuring scale, I mean who has a measuring scale anyway? I was using a measuring tape, pen and paper and a calculator, lucky nobody saw me in the kitchen with my pen behind my ear scratching my builder's arse wondering what the handiest way to crush digestive biscuits is. I'm starting a new trend, any recipe ever penned by me will give the measurements for the ingredients in good old fashioned feet and inches and will encourage the use of implements normally found in the average home, good old fashioned things like hammers and screwdrivers, none of this lemon zester and baking tin nonsense.

I was trying to make cheesecake last night, which ended up tasting more like a cheese sandwich than a dessert, and looking like somebody had beaten it with a big rubber hammer before getting bored and leaving it to sink into it's own biscuit base. It took me about 25 minutes to clean the neighbour's food processor before returning it to her as well. Al these lies are just not worth it, I might be forced to come clean in a couple of weeks but in the meantime I'm riding this cooking train until I puke (or she does).

This whole cooking thing is just out of control at the moment, those recipies are far too much hassle, what was wrong with my pasta, mushroom, garlic, beef suggestion? All I need is the ingredients for a tomato sauce to serve with it. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

You asked for an easy chicken dish, I gave you an easy chicken dish. Follow the recipes until you are confident with the basics, then you can cobble together a dish without having to measure everything down to the last gramme.

I don't get the weighing scales out for a simple roux. A dollop of butter and some flour in a pan, add stock, wine, cheese and tarragon. Job done. Couldn't be easier, it is chicken and you won't find it in a jar in Tesco.

Tomato sauce

Recipe I

1 Kg fresh tomatoes
    1/2 head of garlic
    1 Pkt basil

Cut the tomatoes in half, drizzle with olive oil, season, cut garlic in half, add basil. Roast in the oven at 180c for 1 hour. Push the cooked tomatoes through a sieve. Job done.

(I know - you haven't got a sieve and you neighbour won't lend you one after the mess you made of her food processor. :D)

Recipe 2

Two tins of tomatoes, blitzed
    Garlic & Basil
    1 Onion

Peel the onion - leave whole
    Smash the garlic
    Fry onion and garlic in olive oil to add a little colour
    Add blitzed tomatoes & basil
    Cover and cook for 40 mins
    Take out the onion
    Add to steak & 'shrooms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

majd, that Stroganoff recipe sounds delish, I'll be trying that one. Cheers.

If you look at the recipe I gave you, it has pasta, mushrooms and beef. If you're that desperate for garlic you could add that too. It also draws on the stock and cream idea that you used yourself in the first meal you made. I don't see how it's too much hassle when it's pretty much combining all the things you've done already tbh - that's why I posted it.

Your pasta, mushroom, garlic, beef suggestion is fine, but it will be a rather acidic meal unless you take time to make good tomato sauce, but from what you've said that may also be too much hassle for you. Good cooking isn't hassle free - well, certainly not if you're used to boiling pasta for 10 minutes and then stirring through a jar of something.

After a while you learn what suits you and what doesn't.

Delia has a chocolate mascarpone cheesecake recipe that's a stunner, but it will take some effort. (Her site's down at the moment so I can't post the link - just search chocolate mascarpone.) Oh - word of warning - when baking desserts, it's a bad idea to substitute tin sizes. If the recipe wants a 7 inch tin, use a 7 inch tin. Much of the glory of a baked cheesecake comes from its depth, and using a larger tin won't give you the same effect.

I made it last Thursday night, leaving it to cool in the oven overnight, before decorating it with chocolate curls and cocoa powder the next morning. The one thing I'd say is don't bake the base for as long as she recommends - mine was on the edge of burning at only 10 minutes, where she suggests 20. It was greeted with suitable ooos and aaahs when I served it after dinner.

We were entertaining on Friday night, so I picked a recipe that was all the work in advance - roast lamb in red wine. I prepped all the veggies ifirst, then roasted a 2kg leg of lamb in a full bottle of shiraz on a low heat for four hours until it was nearly melting off the bone. The veggies also roast in the wine. I made some mashed potato (20 mins on the hob) at the last minute, but other than basting the lamb once an hour, I basically had four hours of peace before the guests arrived and all I had to do was mash the boiled potatoes with butter and serve up what was in the oven - I wasn't juggling 20 pots on the stove top when they walked in the door.

We were entertaining on Friday night, so I picked a recipe that was all the work in advance - roast lamb in red wine. I prepped all the veggies ifirst, then roasted a 2kg leg of lamb in a full bottle of shiraz on a low heat for four hours until it was nearly melting off the bone. The veggies also roast in the wine. I made some mashed potato (20 mins on the hob) at the last minute, but other than basting the lamb once an hour, I basically had four hours of peace before the guests arrived and all I had to do was mash the boiled potatoes with butter and serve up what was in the oven - I wasn't juggling 20 pots on the stove top when they walked in the door.

Any chance of an invite next time your cooking! Melting Lamb...ooohh! Is it just a bottle of Shiraz you use, nothing else? I usually just use a little water.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

How do you roast the veg - do you just put them in the wine?? :confused:

Was there any wine left in the roasting tin after so long in the oven ?

The roast lamb was based on a delia recipe for lamb roast in beaujolais. (But I'm in Australia and I'm not paying the price for French wine!)

You prep a tray of root veggies, lightly oiled and seasoned, and you put your leg of lamb, rubbed with olive oil, salt and pepper in a separate deep roasting tin. Preheat the oven to 220 degrees and put both trays in for half an hour. The veggies brown at the edges and the lamb seals.

Then you put the veggies to one side, lower the heat to gas mark 3 (about 170 I think) and sit your lamb roasting dish on a hot hob, and pour a whole bottle of wine over the lamb, basting it thoroughly as you pour. Then sprinkle a tablespoon of each of chopped fresh thyme and chopped fresh rosemary over the lamb. When the wine starts to simmer in the tray on the hob, put a tent of tinfoil over it and put it back in the oven.

Another three hours of cooking follows - the first 90 mins is the lamb on its own, then you take it out, lift the foil, baste it, add the veggies to the pan and toss them well in the wine, then put the foil back and put it in for another 90 minutes.

Keeping foil on it means you have some wine left in the tray when you're done - you decant everything to warm plates, then stir some redcurrant jelly into the wine on the hob and let it reduce. It makes a really rich, sticky sweet sauce.

The vegetables that have been roasted in the wine tend to be very mushy after 90 minutes in the tin, so to be honest if I were doing this again I'd add them in the last hour, do some separate roast potatoes and do something light with them - maybe steamed runner beans and baby corn - something that feels like it lifts the whole thing. I can't fault how the meat cooked though - it was excellent.

I was forced to come clean, my lies caught up with me, she seemed to understand though so I suppose it's not as bad as it could have been. People should learn from my mistakes, never claim to be a cooking genius when in actual fact you haven't a notion, there's no long term benefits to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

JSM, try a beef stroganoff if you're feeling daring?
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53651197&postcount=39

I made this to the specified recipe today but I substituted Sirloin for the Fillet steak. I'm a cheap bastard, I know. At least it wasn't Stewing though :)

I also don't like Pasta, so I had it with Brown Rice.

I wouldn't exactly say it's daring though. It's a fairly simple recipe to make, majd your instructions were very easy to follow, thank you. Basically it's just lump everything into the pan.

It's absolutely delicious, and I reckon you'd feed four with the amount there, just looking at what's left in the pan now. I'm going to divvy it up and freeze the rest. (I eat by myself while the gf is on a world trip :( )

Have you any more similar recipes to this? I'm really getting pissed off buying sauces at this stage.

Thanks again for a lovely recipe majd, very impressed. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement