Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nationals

• 19-07-2007 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

From reading Athletics Ireland it looks like we've a good National Championships on our hands. Worth dropping in to if you're in the neighbourhood.

RTE1 have highlights or some sort of coverage on Sunday at 5.00pm.

Anybody able to confirm if Cragg is turning up (as mentioned as a 'maybe' on athletics ireland)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

I thought he had to run the nationals as this was a rule set out by IAAF. He's down for the 1500.

Nationals should be good alright. first time theres a womens steeple!!!

800 should be interesting campbell v chamney

10,000 - anyone know the start list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Dunno if Cragg is running, I presume he is considering its a requirement for world selection. Depending on who runs what but some of the womens MD races could be interesting and I reckon the mens 800 will be a cracker. Having seen Campbell run in Cork he looks in super shape and a class act and I'd fancy him to take the 800 if he decides to run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Common Sense

Some great duels to look forward to, depending on which events athletes decide to do. For me the highlight of the day will be the duel between Nolan, Reale and Cragg in 1500 (if they all do that event).

The weather is promised to be good with only moderate winds - what price new Irish sprint records from Hession, Gillick or O'Rourke? Maybe even a revision of Shinkins' 400m record by Cuddihy (for once she'll have a decent lane draw!!)

Some great duels to look forward to, depending on which events athletes decide to do. For me the highlight of the day will be the duel between Nolan, Reale and Cragg in 1500 (if they all do that event).

I have heard that Jemser is injured. Also Cragg and Reale are down to compete in a 1500 in Belgium on Saturday night. So it shall be intereseting.

Anyone know the start list for the 10,000???

I know 4 runners....Gary Thronton is one, but Im not disclousing the other 3:D :D

The weather did its best to spoil it but a great days racing. Dave Campbell was classy in the 800 and gutsy in the 1500 and a super double, as good as Mark Carroll's 15/5 a couple of years back. Hession was pissing it in the 100 and Cuddihy looked strong, think she went through 300 in high 37. Great win by Emily Maher over Derval in the 100, shows a lot of balls to hold off a World Indoor champion. Gillick was workmanlike in the 400.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Common Sense

Not to mention a great women's 800m race with Orla Drumm prevailing over Kelly Reid in the last 50m. I also enjoyed Mary Cullen's classy 1500m win. In the field, a new junior PV record (4.80) by McCreery of Clonliffe.

Good win for Mark Kirwan in the steeplechase on Saturday. His first national senior title. Mark broke Eugene O'Neill's 4/5 year straight run of wining national senior.

I thought it was a good championship, mens 5,000 was a cracking race. It was a pitty the weather ruined it.

Just to mention Dick Hooper coaching two athlete's to indiviual gold medal's. Mark Kirwan and Conor Dooney of Ferrybank who won the Junior 3k. Also Dick coached Mick Clohessy and Bernard Roe of the Raheny team who won the 10k team gold. not bad.

DaveH wrote:
    Good win for Mark Kirwan in the steeplechase on Saturday. His first national senior title. Mark broke Eugene O'Neill's 4/5 year straight run of wining national senior.

I thought it was a good championship, mens 5,000 was a cracking race. It was a pitty the weather ruined it.

Just to mention Dick Hooper coaching two athlete's to indiviual gold medal's. Mark Kirwan and Conor Dooney of Ferrybank who won the Junior 3k. Also Dick coached Mick Clohessy and Bernard Roe of the Raheny team who won the 10k team gold. not bad.

Dave, you wouldn't happen to be from Raheny?:)

Seeing as the yanks are going bananas at the moment with Alan Webb (the saviour of US track and all that), how good and how far do people think our own middle distance savior Campbell can go? Gerry Kiernan was getting frisky on RTE at the thoughts of Campbell moving up and challenging at 1500 in future majors. He looks a bit mental too with the hair (Campbell not Kiernan).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

Tingle wrote:
    He looks a bit mental too with the hair (Campbell not Kiernan).

And Gerry doesn't???

Advertisement