Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unusual source address issue with Apache on WinNT

• 19-07-2007 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hi

Unusual problem that Ive been encountering.
    Basically I have Apache 1.3 running as a proxy server on a Windows Server NT machine. This machine has two NICs ,say 192.168.10.1 and 192.168.10.2. I have Apache bound to one address ,192.168.10.1, to receive traffic. But for DNS queries and outgoing traffic, the proxy is using the other source address 192.168.10.2. This is causing issues as only 192.168.10.1 is configured on the Fw to send DNS and HTTP traffic. Anyone got any ideas?? Other than amend the ACL to include the other address (although this means involving another dept so Im hoping for a local work-around).Currently I have the other NIC switched off to allow the proxy to function correctly.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Which NIC has the default gateway setup?

Windows will use that to route all non-local traffic. If both have a DG set up then Windows becomes weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

I assume you are using mod_proxy? There is a patch floating around to add a ProxySourceAddress directive to allow you specify. Does not sound like you're in an environment where patching Apache is an option though. There's also a patch that will just use the listen address as the source address (sounds like exactly what you are looking for).

All that said I think what you are trying to do should/could be done by the routing system in the OS. Moving routing into the Apache process just seems wrong to me. Have you though of accomplishing what you want to do using the route command?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 telecomsman

PaschalNee wrote:
    I assume you are using mod_proxy? There is a patch floating around to add a ProxySourceAddress directive to allow you specify. Does not sound like you're in an environment where patching Apache is an option though. There's also a patch that will just use the listen address as the source address (sounds like exactly what you are looking for).

All that said I think what you are trying to do should/could be done by the routing system in the OS. Moving routing into the Apache process just seems wrong to me. Have you though of accomplishing what you want to do using the route command?

To be honest, Im open to all suggestions....its only a small part of a trial network for a product we're developing. Im not familiar with the route command in WinNT, if its straightforward though I will give it a wee google.
    Which do you reckon is the best way to resolve this...ie to make sure Apache uses a specific source address?
    Which NIC has the default gateway setup?

I had configured both with the DG in their IP config, did this as I was using the Apache on one NIC and had another unrelated server bound to the other.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BTW
    NT only uses the first default gateway listed - even though you can add several to each card.

Advertisement