Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Mobile - Kilworth Co Cork

Options
  • 19-07-2007 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

I have just taken the 3 Mobile data modem, and so far i have had very mixed results. Last night i got speeds on average of only 30kbps with a peak of about 170kbps. The rate peaks and drops to almost zero. This morning i got speeds of 250kbps with a peak at 600kbps.

The main questions i have are on the modem :

I have only briefly got HSDPA, before it drops back to 3G - does this mean i am on borderline reception. Is there anything i can do to try and boost my signal?

Has anyone else out there tried 3 mobile in the kilworth area - and if so how is it working. How do i know where the mast serving me is, and can i do something to optomise the modem location within the house.

Appreciate any help - otherwise i will have to return the modem within the 14 day trial period.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

read all of johnplayerblue recent threads , some of his methods ( at 5 miles) are most amusing .

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

Try Siteviewer, www.siteviewer.ie, It should tell you where your nearest mast is, it was last updated in April.
    After that you should know what window to sit by with your modem stickey-taped to window, with optimal signal.

If you do find that sweet spot and it isn't that comfortable, then get yourself a 3 datacard instead of usbmodem and stick the datacard into a Linksys WRT54G3G, then put this in your sweet spot, and you can use the Wireless on your laptop (desktop) within range of the wifi....

The datacard is the same price as the usb modem and the Wireless 3G Router can be had for 150-200 euro, a friend tried ordering the data card from a three store in dublin and was told it was out of stock... but I guess you should still ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

Well i have had it almost a week now. Firstly i am getting nowhere near "broadband" speeds. Its slightly better than dial up - 75 to 100kbps. I am not sure if its worth keeping or not....i dont have a landline, so as such its my only means on getting an internet connection. The other option would be to try the much more expensive option of O2, but as its the same technology and modem i wouldnt be expecting much difference...,

Advertisement