Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

02 Broadband&PS3

Options
  • 19-07-2007 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

1st post, was thinking about getting 02 BB, still waiting on phone line in new house. Will it work with PS3 for online gaming, any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Depends on the kind of game. Worse than 1/10th to 1/3rd a second delay. (110ms to 350ms ping).

You will also need a Netgear or Linksys router and the PCMCIA version of modem. The USB dongle is unlikely to work.

YOu can also use a PC as an ethernet router for the USB modem. Not as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭RastaRed

watty wrote:
    Depends on the kind of game. Worse than 1/10th to 1/3rd a second delay. (110ms to 350ms ping).

You will also need a Netgear or Linksys router and the PCMCIA version of modem. The USB dongle is unlikely to work.

YOu can also use a PC as an ethernet router for the USB modem. Not as good.

All sports games, Tiger Woods,Fight Night&Snooker. Total newbie to all this stuff, where will I get a Netgear or Linksys router and what is the PCMCIA version of modem? Thanks for replying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

The router is the wrt54g3g model. Try expansys.ie [http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=146762] or dabs.ie [http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?quicklinx=3ZGP&InMerch=1]

The PCMCIA version is the one that looks like a card. It is designed to plug into a laptop, but will work with this particular router as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Onikage wrote:
    The router is the wrt54g3g model. Try expansys.ie [http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=146762] or dabs.ie [http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?quicklinx=3ZGP&InMerch=1]

The PCMCIA version is the one that looks like a card. It is designed to plug into a laptop, but will work with this particular router as well.

This router works for 3 and vodafone which use the same pcmcia 3g card but I don't think it will work for o2 as they use a different 3g card the sierra wireless aircard 850.

there is another router designed for this

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You need a firmware update for the Serria Wireless Aircard 850. It only does up to 1.8Mbps anyway. I can confirm it doesn't work out of the box. The Netgear might though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭RastaRed

emaherx wrote:
    This router works for 3 and vodafone which use the same pcmcia 3g card but I don't think it will work for o2 as they use a different 3g card the sierra wireless aircard 850.

there is another router designed for this

Any info on this router, other ones seem to be all vodaphone

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

RastaRed wrote:
    All sports games, Tiger Woods,Fight Night&Snooker.

Given the games you play, o2 BB would not be suitable.

The latency is far too high, it would be awful. You would be far better off with fixed line BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

RastaRed wrote:
    Any info on this router, other ones seem to be all vodaphone

I seen one on the net before but I dont have a link and I can't seem to find it by googeling again, there are also a few which just take the sim also. most of them were far too expensive.

But if Watty is right (and he usually is) then the vodafone one (wrt54g3g) will do the job with a firmware update.

none of these devices are locked to a network its the compatabilty with your pcmcia card that you need to consider

Advertisement