Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spliting domains

Options
  • 19-07-2007 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

At the moment I have one domain set up for a company that I work for. However the company is splitting in two and I need to seperate the domain into two seperate domains. Apart from buying new hardware, how do I go about setting up a new domain? Is it possible to have two domains, each with a PDC on the one network? Or will I need to have completely seperate cabling?Any help welcome... Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Is it possible to have two domains, each with a PDC on the one network?

It's definitely not reccomended. Each domain (windows) should have it's own subnet. However if there's a parent company you could create a new forest and have the two seperate companies as child domains... all depends on how isolated each company is. You need to ascertain their exact requirements... will the two companies both be using shared storage? Will company A be able to view company B's files? Will they shell out for new required kit email, DCs, etc.? It's hard to make any reccomendations unless you know what the end goal is.

From a network point of view if you've a managed switch it's trivial to divide the current network into 2 seperate entities... add an extra VLAN, assign half the switchports to it and repatch as necessary. If routing is required between the domains, either use a L3 swith with access lists (between the networks) making sure to provide a default gateway for all other (external-bound) traffic or use an existing router and connect it to the individual VLANs.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭LillyVanilli

Thanks Kali. The two companies need to be completely separate, we are buying a whole new set of kit for the second company. The only thing in common should be that the stuff is all going to be in the one server room. Have you any suggestions to what I should do if putting two PDCs on the one physical network is not recommended?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Have you any suggestions to what I should do if putting two PDCs on the one physical network is not recommended?

As I said create a new subnet/VLAN.. or else just buy a new switch and put all the kit on that and repatch required workstations from the patch-panel to the new company... then each PDC will be on a physically seperate network/subnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭LillyVanilli

Great thanks, wish me luck..

Advertisement