Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can We survive this dogsitting?

Options
  • 19-07-2007 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭

Hi

Any pionters here will be helpfull.

I am minding a Puppy for a mate who has gone away for two weeks.

The puppy is about 14-16 weeks old its a Border Collie. Its on its last Day of shots today and thats why its not in a kennel.

The dog has been sleeping in its owners bedroom in its cage or close by its owner.

Here in lies the issue I have it down in the Kitchen (Trying to move it outside to its Kennel but the howls of it would wake the neighbours)

So here is the routine I am trying to get it in to not ideal but the dog has to fit in around two working adults. Its used to his wife being at home a lot as she is a teacher and off since it it arrived.

12 at night dog goes into its Cage in the kitchen to sleep
    06:00 Dog goes for an hour walk (The dog will walk forever)
    07:00-07:30 Dog gets its breakfast and a play.
    Is outside in the yard till
    17:30 Approx dog gets its Dinner and more play time
    18:30-19:00 Dog goes for a walk about 30 mins - hour park etc
    21:00 -21:30 last feed
    dog normally seems to snooze for an hour after walks
    if not she can potter around lower house till bed
    (dog wont stay still but thats not unusual for a collie)

I am trying to get it used to outside where it should be going for such an active dog.

I reckon he should have gone for a less highly active dog and scheduled the holiday a little later but these are things I cant change. Everything I have read about the border collie pionts that its a farmers dog.

Basically the main problem is the dog is addicted to humans and will whine/bark/cry if left alone at any time.

Oh and its scaring the absolute crap out of the cat who wont go near it. Cat has gone of its food as well .

All this said it is an adorable little pup and I do like being with it so any advice on making its life easier would help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭alexdenby6

try spending ten minutes throwing sticks or tennis balls to tire him out a little bit more. theyre not really a city dog in the first place, and they need to work to be properly challenged and stimulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Driving past Clonard there is some sort of Collie running up and down a parking rest stop. First saw him about 2 weeks ago and he has been there every morning and evening running up and down as if chasing the cars thinking they are sheep :D
    Point is.. they have a LOT of energy as it looks like he does not eat or sleep and just runs up and down his spot when cars go by all the time, though he looks fine so im sure he is looked after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

alexdenby6 wrote:
    try spending ten minutes throwing sticks or tennis balls to tire him out a little bit more. theyre not really a city dog in the first place, and they need to work to be properly challenged and stimulated.

Have just aquired a tennis ball , good advice. Now her shots are in I can play that with her in the park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Ok the dog has turned a corner , the ball worked great and she spent her first night outside.

Advertisement