Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Type 2 Diabeties & Diet

• 19-07-2007 10:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I hope someone might be able to help or point me in the right direction..

My mother in law has was diagnosed with Type 2 diabeties by her GP but when she asked for a diet sheet or what type of foods she should avoild she was told to contact weightwatchers :rolleyes:

She is overweight and she is working on that by going on daily walks and is getting an exercise bike for the house but she is unsure on the type of foods she should be eating/not eating on a daily basis.

I have had a quick look on a few sites but they all give varying info...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I think they point they were making when they suggested to go to Weightwatchers was there doesn't seem to be a "diabetic" diet anymore - there kind of was when I got diagnosed 12 years ago Whereas now they tell you to stick to the food pyramid, not to avoid any foods like the plague, but to have a low-fat, generally healthy diet. I guess for type 2's the big thing is to lose weight, so WW might be her best bet, or have a look at the low GI diet.

I've an appointment with a dietician today, so I'll let you know what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

tbh wrote:
    I think they point they were making when they suggested to go to Weightwatchers was there doesn't seem to be a "diabetic" diet anymore - there kind of was when I got diagnosed 12 years ago Whereas now they tell you to stick to the food pyramid, not to avoid any foods like the plague, but to have a low-fat, generally healthy diet. I guess for type 2's the big thing is to lose weight, so WW might be her best bet, or have a look at the low GI diet.

I've an appointment with a dietician today, so I'll let you know what they say.

Thanks tbh and good luck!!

I hate dieticians!! I have PKU and attend the clinic every 6 months, they always say the same sh*te each time I visit. They are so used to dealing with kids and toddlers that they have lost the touch to help teenagers and older people..

doh. I posted a long reply and it got lost in the internet. Basically, I was just saying that I was a bit underwhelmed by the visit today redser, they didn't really tell me anything I didn't know already, just really gave me a food diary and told me how to fill it out. I've to go back in two weeks for a review, I'll get back to you then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

What he said ^^

Keep and eye on portion sizes particularly of rice, potatoes, pasta etc.

Advise seems to be to avoid "diabetic" foods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Exercise is critical part of weight loss in people who have type II or developing this through metabolic syndrome.

In fact it is more important to exercise than to change your diet to reduce risk of developing compliations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

Thanks for all the advice, I will let her know..

Hey tbh, do you not find that dealing with dieticians is a bit of a hit and miss?? Somes days they are great, other days sh*te?!

I've not really dealt with them as much as I should have really redser, just starting to go regularly now. Hit and miss so far tho! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Anney

Would be good for her to join the Diabetes Federation of Ireland, then she'll get invited to their events & will learn more by networking. I'm surprised her doc didn't refer her to a diabetes clinic for education & screening etc. Perhaps she could propose that to the doc on her next visit.

Advertisement