Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cost of Mini repair

Options
  • 19-07-2007 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hey all,

Would be great if anyone out there could help me out on this one. Not a big car person. A pretty big stone got whipped up onto the '04 Mini Cooper I was driving, and it ripped into the plastic bumper. The gash is about two inches, just beside the lower spotlight (it's a sporty version, Chilly pack). I think it's gonna be a replacement job not a repair job as the bloody thing tore into the plastic. I went to a approved BMW/Mini dealer to see about getting the bumper changed and they are quoting me the guts of €1000. Am I being taken for a ride here? It's just plastic.

RG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Put up pics and I'll tell you straight away. The Chili Pack is only a select group of options, it won't physically change the bumper, it will however give additional chrome detailing that will need to be transferred from one bumper to another. I'd imagine the bumper primed from MINI would be about 300 Euro, and then spraying (And colour matching to the bonnet) would be able another 300, then an hour or two's labour to transfer the chrome and fit the bumper it'self. It's worth shopping around though!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rgunning

Here's the damage:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

send the photo to carcraft.ie and then phone then to ask about the repair cost. they should be able to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

rgunning wrote:
    Here's the damage:

A grand for that? feck that shíte. Get a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

That's a pre-face lifted Cooper, fitted with a Chrome Line Exterior and Front Foglamps (Which are both part of the Chili Pack), it should, in my opinion, cost about 700 Euro if you're to replace it all with original parts, etc, BUT, you could do this a lot cheaper if you want to. Most paint shops can 'flash' in parts of the paint, for a lot less, and then you can simple replace the lower plastic valance for about 60 Euro yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A dealer* will always err towards replacement in a situation like this. It is quite likely that a good bodyshop can repair it at a much lower cost.

* my experience is based on BMW dealers!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rgunning

Thanks Ned - you really seems to know what your talking about here,

Any suggestions of a shop that I might try that in? If it doesn't work, I guess I can just replace it anyway.

And judging from everyone's comments, I could probably do better than the quote I have.

Rob

Advertisement