Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Subaru Outback

Options
  • 19-07-2007 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

I'm in the market fro a second hand car, and want either a big hatch or an estate, despite all the slagging I'm getting from my peers. I want a big boot to throw bikes etc in to, so I am viewing two cars this weekend- one is Subaru Outback ('02), with 67000 miles, and the other is a VW Passat estate ('03), with 25000 miles. The Outback is more powerful and definitely less dull, but probably needs a timing belt and is a private sale. The Passat has really low miles and a 6 month warranty, but it's a bit.... blah. My budget is €12k tops- any suggestions/ feedback?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Love the outback, pity they don't have a diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

prospect wrote:
    Love the outback, pity they don't have a diesel.
    Amen brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I always liked the look of these cars, and i hate most soft-roaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

While the newer model is a more refined car, the older Outback's look much more authentic. They have a rugged feel/look about them, in the same way a LR Defender would compared with a Discovery. Unfortunetely, the latest Outback model has the kind of appendages (ala Audi Allroad, Volvo XC70) which to my mind look a bit naff. The original is the thinking man's off-roader of sorts (as well as the Forrester), but the current model more Desperate Housewife meets The County Set.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Great car the outback - I'm not sure you could keep yourself awake in the Passat.

The only problem I see with the Outback is they suffer from petrol constipation.
    ie they cannot pass a petrol station! :)

a heavy right foot will really punish at the pumps.

I might be wrong but the tbelt on these is a simple enough job I think as with everything Subaru they are brilliantly engineered (except maybe the plastics inside)

• Advertisement
Advertisement