Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista Queries Thread...

• 19-07-2007 12:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Since I got Vista there are alot of questions (generally about silly little things) to get it running how I like.

No doubt more and more people will be asking questions as the change over progresses - maybe we should have one thread where you ask questions rather than a new thread for each little thing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

erm maybe if you ask a question it would help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

Lol - I did in a previous thread but found some great tips I'll post up later...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Maybe I'll get things started so. I'm about to install home premium shortly, how long does it take on a fairly new c2d based pc and is there anything else in particular I should be aware of for the installation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

Maybe no harm to run the Vista Compatibility Program before you install it to see if any programmes mightn't work? There's always one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Maybe I'll get things started so. I'm about to install home premium shortly, how long does it take on a fairly new c2d based pc and is there anything else in particular I should be aware of for the installation?
    couple of hours, installation takes up 10-14gb on hard drive...

Its fairly straight forward install

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Heres one for you guys
    How the fudge do I extend my H: drive partition into the 7.25GB space I have free preceeding it?

Drivesituaton.jpg

The extend partition option is greyed out, probably because the hard drive space it extends to has to physically following it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If you're doing a clean install it'll take less than half an hour. If you're doing an upgrade from XP it'll take ages.
    Try to download all the drivers for your various bits of hardware before installing so that you'll have them all ready to go as soon as its installed.

Which antivirus program are people using for vista? I tried installing AVG free but got errors, is it not vista compatible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'm using Common Sense™ ;) - i.e. no AV. Yeah, I live on the edge.

AVG should work with Vista, Grisoft claim it is compatible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Which antivirus program are people using for vista? I tried installing AVG free but got errors, is it not vista compatible?

AVG Free works fine.

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/downloads-products/us/frt/0?prd=aff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I have a question, does Vista that's supplied with Dell computers install on other custom build pcs?

I know dell's xp could be installed, it just needed an activation.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Heres one for you guys
    How the fudge do I extend my H: drive partition into the 7.25GB space I have free preceeding it?

Drivesituaton.jpg

The extend partition option is greyed out, probably because the hard drive space it extends to has to physically following it?
    best way is to backup the 4GB to C:
    nuke H:
    and create a new partition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 tor1

I recently got a dell with Home Premium which includes WM Player.My problem is when I try to play song samples from music download sites I get a message that i need WM Player Version 11.Would the version i have not be the latest version of the player? And also ( please exscuse my naivete)how do i find out which version I have as it's not immediately obvious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 tor1

I have now sussed which version of WMP is installed ( latest version of WMP 11)
    So why will song samples not automatically play on this version? Is this a problem related to Vista itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Smarmore

I recently upgraded from XP to Vista on a Dell laptop and am having problems with my media files. Every time I play a media file on WMP the song starts jumping about 10-20 seconds before the end of the song. Has anyone else had this problem? It's a Windows Media center and the files jump on Media Center too. I don't think the issue is with the media files as I have tried playing some of them on iTunes with no problem. Anybody know what could be causing this?

Advertisement