Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MD96280 GPS Navigation System (Aldi Thursday 26th July)

Options
  • 19-07-2007 12:43pm
    Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭

No details on their website as of yet, but in their instore catalogue, They have a Medion Sat nav system for €199. It uses the latest Navteq mapping system for ROI and UK and Western Europe. 512md internal memory and also 1gb SD card

Accessories include: Car holder with Suction cap, 12v car adaptor, Ac adaptor, 1gb card with pre installed map material, USB cable, and a stylus wallet.

looks like good value.

full spec of this:

http://www.aldi.ie/special_buys/product_302.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Aquos76 wrote:
    No details on their website as of yet, but in their instore catalogue, They have a Medion Sat nav system for €199. It uses the latest Navteq mapping system for ROI and UK and Western Europe. 512md internal memory and also 1gb SD card

Accessories include: Car holder with Suction cap, 12v car adaptor, Ac adaptor, 1gb card with pre installed map material, USB cable, and a stylus wallet.

looks like good value.

You better be at the store very early as they only get in about 3 or 4 per store. I got codded last time they had one. Bought a garmin instead had had any problems with it. Good luck if you get the aldi one.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Navteq maps are very good for ireland. Looks like good value, and with a 3 year warranty I suppose you can't go far wrong!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Aldi's website is now updated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

Lidl also has 1 for the same price, what will your recommendation be Aldi (PDF specs) or Lidl?

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

Teleatlas mapping though uuuuuuuuuuuughhhhhhh for the lidl one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

Is this basically a Windows CE PDA (like the older Medion units)? Would you be able to run other software on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

I had one of the medions, not sure which could have been this one, provided by the car rental company in germany last week.

The device is a good size and comes with tons of accessories, but it takes ages to boot up and shut down and the interface is abysmal. It does get you from A to B and that's the most important thing. For 200 euro I doubt you can get any better :)

If you got more money to spend, might as well go for something with a decent interface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Cuchulain

nava wrote:
    Hi

Lidl also has 1 for the same price, what will your recommendation be Aldi (PDF specs) or Lidl?

Regards

So people are recommending the aldi one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Cuchulain wrote:
    So people are recommending the aldi one?

the maps on the lidl device are rubbish with about 30% irish coverage. The maps on the aldi on are much better

• Registered Users Posts: 7 snowfruit

Is the interface any good on either of those (Lidl & Aldi) ?

IE. are they worth the €200 or would i be better off saving a little while and getting a TomTom unit instead (either One XL, or Go 910)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

The Mio 269 V3 here seems impressive, and it's the same price as the Aldi and Lidl offerings..

That said, does anybody know if it would be possible to add maps to the Aldi device? Whichever one I buy, I'd like to be able to take it to Malaysia and Singapore with with me. Possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

benifa wrote:
    The Mio 269 V3 here seems impressive, and it's the same price as the Aldi and Lidl offerings..

That said, does anybody know if it would be possible to add maps to the Aldi device? Whichever one I buy, I'd like to be able to take it to Malaysia and Singapore with with me. Possible?

A mate of mine has a MIO 268 and loves it, says it has a really nice interface, however it does run teleatlas maps which are not ideal for Ireland. I do know for sure that you can get Asian maps for the Mio as he is currently in Thailand with it...

If you go for the Mio I've seen new 269's going for around £90 sterling on ebay.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Do-more wrote:
    A mate of mine has a MIO 268 and loves it, says it has a really nice interface, however it does run teleatlas maps which are not ideal for Ireland. I do know for sure that you can get Asian maps for the Mio as he is currently in Thailand with it...

If you go for the Mio I've seen new 269's going for around £90 sterling on ebay.

Thanks for this Do-more. I've actually gone ahead and bought a 269+ from ebay, for €180 inc shipping from Germany. Although slightly older than the Aldi / Lidl offerings, it's specs are much better afaics, and I can certainly use it in the Far East.

One thing though, you mention teleatlas maps are not ideal for Ireland. Why is this? Thanks, and apologies for going a little off-topic.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

I just drove by Aldi in Athlone and there is a hugh queue outside the door, waiting for it to open at 09:00am. In the pissing rain!

Best of luck to anyone trying to get one of these!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I got the second last one in Galway at the headford road ALDI. I arrived at nine and they handed out tickets around 9:05.
    It's very small and seems to pick up a signal no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

I got one of the last one's in Ennis.
    Got there at 20 to, big queue already.
    Tickets given out at a quarter to.
    If it wasn't for the fact many were there for the camera, I wouldn't have got it!

Seems very good so far. (Only used it on the drive home, know the route)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭beezkneez

got one in celbridge, got there early and there was abit of a queue just before they opened but they handed out tickets about 8.50, reckon they had about 20 but id imagine they are well gone by now. seems impressive so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I got to the Rathmines shop at 8.30. There was about 6 people ahead of me in the queue. By the time it was opened there was about 40. Most of them seemed to be there for the digital camera but by the time I left the shop the Sat Navs were sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

Arrived at Longford store at 8am. There were 2 in front of me as they thought store opened at 8am.
    By 8:20am there were about 15 people. Manager came out and said he had about 15- 16 units.
    At 9am he just let the first 15 GPS customers in and they were all gone within minutes.
    Never used one before, but found set-up simple and was able to type in my house number and address in Sligo.
    Very impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Hi lads
    Ok I got one of these in Aldi. In Parnell St.( they had 22 gps and 35 cameras)
    Anyway whats the deal with getting more maps.
    If i put in a sd card with NavTeq maps of eg. the us will it work fine or do they have to be medion maps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

There is no such thing as Medion maps - they use Navteq maps. However you probably need to buy extra maps directly from Medion. You should be able to get them on SD RAM cards or download them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Couldn't get to Aldi in Waterford until lunchtime and they were all well gone.....:(

Next time maybe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

which one is it from this site ?

www.medionshop.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭radar0976

Got mine in Aldi on the main street in Ballincollig. Got there at 8am and was first in the queue. There was a queue of about 20 people by the time the shop opened at 9am. It was a free for all once the shop opened with people running to the back of the shop and then realising they had to queue at the till and then running down there. People were nearly trampling each other. Anyway I managed to get mine despite the fact that a couple of people in the queue in front of me bought 2 GPS systems each!!

I tried out my system on the drive to work this morning and found it very good. The maps are very comprehensive and the driving instructions both visible and audible are very intuitive and easy to follow. The user interface is nice but takes a little bit of getting used to. A bit like getting a new mobile phone really. It always takes a few days to get used to what all the buttons do. All in all a really lovely piece of kit. I will be using it driving around Spain for the next two weeks so will be able to give it a good workout. Will report back.

To those of you who got your hands on one - enjoy

Anyone elses sat nav sending them in the wrong direction?:confused:

Right I sorted out that problem. Now I just need to know how to find Stillorgan, or Leopardstown or many other places in county Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

eirebhoy wrote:
    Right I sorted out that problem. Now I just need to know how to find Stillorgan, or Leopardstown or many other places in county Dublin?

How did u sort it. mine goes in the correct diecrtion but wants to go mad routes, and its not aware of alot of one way streets

deckie27 wrote:
    How did u sort it. mine goes in the correct diecrtion but wants to go mad routes, and its not aware of alot of one way streets
    For some reason any time I typed a new destination it was getting added to my route. You can delete the route thing. I haven't had the problem since I deleted it. I haven't got it with me atm so can't explain exactly how to do it. Click on Route guide. There will be a few destinations in there. Click each and click the bin in the corner to get rid of them.

• Advertisement

So anyway, am I doing something wrong or is it not possible to search for places like Stillorgan and Leopardstown?

Advertisement