Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Foreign Films - Please Recommend

• 19-07-2007 12:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭

Was wondering if anyone could recommend some good foreign films for me...
    My favourite foreign movies are Funny Games, Run Lola Run, Pan's Labrynth, Goodbye Lenin and Rashamon.
    I'm also about to watch Brotherhood Of The Wolf and The Edukators, so I'm looking for some other films besides those.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 rudie-

you should watch amile, and seven samuri if you havent yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I can recommend 3, 2 of which are cliché, but still great. Those two are Amelie, and Cinema Paradise. The third I watched recently is a Polish film called "Edi" or Eddie. A great story, and perfectly told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I was about to recommend Brotherhood of the Wolf.
    Why not try Ridicule, Belleville Rendevouz (sometimes called The Triplets of Belleville), OldBoy, Ichi the Killer, Audition, the Killers, Nikita, The Bear and Quest For Fire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

City of God is a brilliant movie if you haven't seen it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭MrBaseball

Sonatine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭rahim

'Brick' is absolutely amazing in my opinion.
    Also agree with the 'Ichi the Killer' (extreme but a good film) and 'Oldboy' (same but great) recomendations. If you like Oldboy, try 'Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance' and the third in that trilogy 'Lady Vengeance'. Very good films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Brick = English. Still worth many watches though.
    Anyway here are some of the best:

Sympathy for Mr Vengance (over Oldboy IMO) - extremely well filmed slice of 'Asia Extreme'. Wonderful stuff.
    Caché (Hidden) - from the director of Funny Games. Distrubing.
    Audition - see film of the week a few weeks ago
    Hani Bi, Kikujiro, Dolls - all from Takeshi Kitano, one of my new favourite directors
    Studio Ghibli films, if you havent already. Best animé around.
    Save the Green Planet - utterly loopers.
    Together - quirky Swedish drama. Good if you like the works of Wes Anderson etc...
    The Devil's Backbone - Del Toro's first fantasy Spanish Civil War flick. As good as Pan's.
    Paris je taime - Not sure if this is still in the cinema, but a great collection of short films. Terrific entry from Tom Tyker (dir. of Run Lola Run)
    Y Tu Mama Tambien - I loved this film. Fairly explicit but wonderful road movie from the excellent Alfonso Cauron.

And some classics: the 400 Blows, The Seventh Seal, Ran, The Seven Samurai (the latter two from Kurosawa - should like these if you watched Rashomon. Actually, must get around to watching that. w00t to public domain!)

Brick = English. Still worth many watches though.

'Brick' is an Indie American film as far as I'm aware. That's foreign to me and judging by the Location of the OP it is to him too.
    Also, I'm aware that by foreign the OP probably meant films not from Hollywood as we know it. I think 'Brick' deserves a mention under these circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Thanks everyone. This is exactly the response I was hoping for. I'm gonna check out most of those films asap.

Brick isn't a foreign film. It's a great film though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

rahim wrote:
    'Brick' is an Indie American film as far as I'm aware. That's foreign to me and judging by the Location of the OP it is to him too.
    Also, I'm aware that by foreign the OP probably meant films not from Hollywood as we know it. I think 'Brick' deserves a mention under these circumstances.

Ok, I'll accept that definition. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

The Devil's Backbone - Del Toro's first fantasy Spanish Civil War flick. As good as Pan's.

Oh nice, I definitely must check this one out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Man eating cow

Battle Royale...

excellent movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

Schtonk

HIGHLY recommended. A german movie based on the hitler diaries. I love that movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭nikolaitr

Brat (Brother) Russian Criminal Film
    9 Rota (9th Platoon) Recent Russian Film on the Afghan Conflict
    Kolya -Film about a Russian Boy growing up in Czech Rep with his father....as far as I know there is a Czech,Russian and Irish versiion but the Czech is considered the best
    All quiet on the Western Front- Its in German as far as I can remember...very poignant war film
    ****ing Åmål - Swedish film about two girls growing in small town and them messing around with lesbianism
    Voyna(war) Russian film, bit dramatic but showing how Chechnyan war was/is
    Prisoner of the Caucauses(Cavcasnya Plenik) Russian film about the relationship between a captured Russian soldier and his chechen captor

I'm pretty sure all these films can be found at imdb.com

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

rahim wrote:

I suppose one can look at it this way, but I usually consider foreign as non-American. That's just me.
    But anyway... check out Brick - it's great no matter the language :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Crazy

When people say 'foreign' I assume they mean foreign language. Otherwise practically every film worth seeing is foreign (other than the handfull of good irish films).

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Hagakure_irl

Last life in the Universe. Or Ruang rak noi nid mahasan :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A few more.
    Nóz w wodzie(Knife in the Water) Original version of Dead Calm, Polanski film.
    The Tin Drum
    El Espíritu de la colmena( Spirit of the Beehive)
    Also if you can get your hands on the Spanish mini-series of El Quijote de Miguel de Cervantes with Fernando Rey. A lot of fun.

• Advertisement

Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Some great films being suggested already, so I'll just throw in Das Experiment, which is from the same director as The Downfall. Definetly worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Abre los Ojos
    Das Boot
    Nightwatch
    Juhong geulshi / The Scarlet Letter
    Letters from Iwo Jima (Hollywood, but a foreign language)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm surprised the Three Colours (Blue, White, Red) trilogy hasn't been mentioned yet. Excellent films.

I haven't seen it yet, but I hear Tsotsi is very good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

been mentioned already but ill throw me weight behind "la haine" and "city of god" also 2 of my all time favorites. Irreversible was a great french movie (great maybe the wrong word considering the subject matter - not a happy movie at all) very well acted.

Someone else mentioned "nightwatch" excellcent special effects, i enjoyed the sequal more though.

Also i really liked the "death note" movies based on the anime series.

Others that come to mind ..... amores perros, anatomie, antibodies, the ordeal, battle in heaven, oh and i have to mention the infernal affairs trilogy much better than the departed (which was the american remake of it)
    bittersweet life , tale of two sisters.

I started looking at my dvd collection as i'm typing so this could go on all day but has made me realise how many movies i want to watch again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Personal favourites of mine would be:

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    Il Postino
    Once Were Warriors
    Audition
    Run Lola Run
    Amelie
    Goodbye Lenin
    Jean de Florette
    Manon des Sources
    Battle Royale
    Pan's Labyrinth
    The Devil's Backbone
    Life Is Beautiful
    Hard Boiled
    Das Boot
    Y Tu Mama Tambien

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Le Salarie de la Peur (I don't speak French, apologiesif that is totally wrong.) Better known as the Wages of Fear. Some seriously intense tension contained within.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Together is a brilliant film!

Check out The Green Butchers

*strongly disagrees* Of course this debate has been had before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Last life in the Universe. Or Ruang rak noi nid mahasan :)
    anyone recommend good Japanese films that aren't ASIA EXTREME ?

jackdaw wrote:
    Akira? oh wait..

jackdaw wrote:

Not sure did you mean to reply to Hagakure_irl's post, but Last Life In The Universe isn't on the Asia Extreme label.

Anyway, there was a few Japanese films mentioned already in this thread. I'd second recommendations of Takeshi Kitano's films; Kikujiro, Hana-Bi, Dolls, and so forth. He's an incredibly film-maker. Also try Yoji Yamada's Twilight Samurai and The Hidden Blade.

I can't recommend highly enough that you see the films of Akira Kurosawa, if you've not already. You might also want to check out the films of Shunji Iwai, and if you're into animated films, you probably cannot get better than Hayao Miyazaki's films.

There's a hell of a lot of Japanese films, so if you want a more specific recommendation, then you'd be best of telling us what sort of films you're mainly into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Petey2006

In The Mood For Love
    Chungking Express
    Princess Mononoke
    The Seventh Seal
    Le Samourai
    The Battle of Algiers
    Spoorloos (The Vanishing)
    Der Untergang (Downfall)
    Idi I Smotri (Come and See)
    Taegukgi (Brotherhood)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Tampopo - honestly, it's the most overlooked Asian movie.

Also, The Waterboys, if you're looking for a light-hearted comedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

jackdaw wrote:

Korea has some of the best movies ive ever seen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

as pretty much all my favourites have been mentioned by one person or another, i'll just throw my 2cents in regarding brick. i thought it was terrible! puts me in the minority here it would seem...

jackdaw wrote:

My Neighbour Totoro
    A film so beautifully innocent it takes away from the extreme natures of others.
    But those Tartan films contain many of the finest Asian films of recent years. I have to second Chunking Express (not extreme at all) too - excellent film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

some good ones in ugc at the moment - all french --

tell no one
    la vie en rose
    moliere...

also indigenes or days of glory (in english) is class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

The man without a past, quirky Finnish movie with a Black sense of humour

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0311519/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

oh another one...isnt really foreign but it might as well be - anything by david lynch...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

'The lives of others' was very impressive

original title in German: Das Leben der Anderen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Yeah it was very good alright, its probably not out on dvd yet though. If you liked that you should watch coppollo's The Conversation with Gene Hackman, one of my favourite films ever.

One that im not sure wheter its been mentioned that got rereleased this/last year is I am Cuba - masterpiece in film making. http://imdb.com/title/tt0058604/

If you're not put off by slow films (watch kitano's hana bi (previously recommended) to see!) then spring, summer, autumn, winter... and spring is well worth a look. http://imdb.com/title/tt0374546/

if you like the asian stuff also check out Public Enemy (decent twist on the dirty harryesque vigilate cop) http://imdb.com/title/tt0306909/
    and especially memoirs of a murder http://imdb.com/title/tt0353969/ by the same guy that did the host - Joon-ho Bong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

1huge1 wrote:
    'The lives of others' was very impressive

original title in German: Das Leben der Anderen

Agreed!! Das Leben der Anderen was excellent I thought, really loved the movie, the soundtrack and the main character Wiesler, he played some part!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

calex71 wrote:
    Korea has some of the best movies ive ever seen

no they dont, name atleast 10. Theyre full of their pop bull block buster girl/boy love releases. they have an odd good one

anyway brick is awful i thought.
    as mentioned before,
    Delicatessen
    City of God
    The whole mr venegence/oldboy/miss vengence series
    Casshern [maybe]

for japenese/chinese/korean , i apparently have two threads asking the same :s
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=277320&referrerid=&highlight=japenese

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054904841&highlight=japenese

Placebo wrote:
    no they dont, name atleast 10. Theyre full of their pop bull block buster girl/boy love releases. they have an odd good one

That's a ridiculous statement, the poster is saying that Korea has some of the best movies he's ever seen.

Certainly, Korean films aren't above fault, and there's been quite a few formulaic horror films churned out by their movie industry, but on the whole, I'd have to agree that some of the best movies from recent years have come from Korea, and I'll name more than just 10. ;)

(Some of these are fairly obvious ones, so bear with me)
    Oldboy
    Lady Vengeance
    Sympathy For Mr Vengeance
    Joint Security Area
    The Host
    Memories Of Murder
    Save The Green Planet
    A Tale Of Two Sisters
    Brotherhood
    Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter... and Spring (That's 10 there)
    3-Iron
    A Bittersweet Life
    Crying Fist
    The Quiet Family
    Welcome To Dongmakgol
    Public Enemy
    Chihwaseon
    Failan
    The Isle
    The Warrior

I'm sure there's loads there I'm missing, but never mind.

personally i think theve released more junk than masterpieces recently. I mean sure you can call 3-Iron a master piece but i found it ridiculously boring, il probably say the same for S,S,A,W,S. From my personal experience everytime i read up on http://www.koreanfilm.org, anything the cinema recently has to offer is bland, i mean i certainly did not like the Host. If that was an english film it would have been classes as rubbish.
    in contrast movies associated with japan seem to be a bit more attractive. Obviously there are the select few korean ones that are great but i just meant in general theres heaps on crap that i sat through recently :/

Placebo wrote:
    personally i think theve released more junk than masterpieces recently. I mean sure you can call 3-Iron a master piece but i found it ridiculously boring, il probably say the same for S,S,A,W,S. From my personal experience everytime i read up on http://www.koreanfilm.org, anything the cinema recently has to offer is bland, i mean i certainly did not like the Host. If that was an english film it would have been classes as rubbish.
    in contrast movies associated with japan seem to be a bit more attractive. Obviously there are the select few korean ones that are great but i just meant in general theres heaps on crap that i sat through recently :/

I was with you up untill this part:
    Placebo wrote:
    If that was an english film it would have been classes as rubbish.

You thought 3-Iron and SSAWS were boring? Fair enough, I'd hardly say they were films for everyone, and if you didn't enjoy them, then fair enough. Same goes for The Host. But this absolute rubbish about "If it were in english..." really grinds my gears. Face it, we never hear anyone saying "Oh, you only liked Hot Fuzz because it was English" and with good reason, because it's a ****ing ridiculous thing to say.

i just dont know why people particularly like the host tbh. I just feel that some people like it for the sole reason of it being a foreign film.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I don't think these have been posted so

Nói albinói
    ¡Vampiros en La Habana!
    Mr Vampire
    Sophie's World
    Metropolis
    Münchhausen (the 1943 version made in Germany)
    The Butterfly Murders

• Advertisement
Advertisement