Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro-fitting ventilation -grilles or window vents?

Options
  • 19-07-2007 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

My architect just came out t review our extension before certifying it meets the building regulations and planning permission. All is well bar one item – ventilation. We need to add ventilation in three rooms.

Options seem to be either drilling holes in walls and fitting ventilation grills (not the prettiest), or retro-fitting trickle vents into the frames of the white uPVC windows.

Does anyone have any thoughts on vents built into the window frames? If anyone knows a company that does them (company I got the windows from don’t do them) and will retro-fit, I’d appreciate any info.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭alinoee

''All is well bar one item – ventilation.''
    its depends when did u get the planning permission! (different rules apply)
    u can always sue the architect who design your house and did not comply with building regs if thats the case.
    he/she will have to pay for replacement of windows - ' retro-fitting ' makes no sense.
    'Does anyone have any thoughts on vents built into the window frames' -yes, but before installation not after. you have to replace the opening sections or frames to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 striver1

Rubbish, retro-fitting kits are available for most upvc windows. You can buy them online at a few places from the uk and get a handyman to fit them, cheaps as chips.

Advertisement