Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is the search so ****e?

Options
  • 19-07-2007 2:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭

Folks,
    I mean, why ruin something beyond use?
    The original default search feature was fine, and has since proven not to be the cause of the default ****ty speed of boards.ie, which has improved significantly, I must say, thanks to 4Gb.
    Can we have the proper search back please?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Oriel wrote:
    The original default search feature was fine, and has since proven not to be the cause of the default ****ty speed of boards.ie

Where did you derive this nugget?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

And why are there so many feedback threads with ***** in em? The language around here is gone to hell.:)

I miss search too, though

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Oriel wrote:
    and has since proven not to be the cause of the default ****ty speed of boards.ie
    That's just 100% wrong. The day the search was removed, we all lamented, but the speed of the site shot up.

Yes, it did get slower eventually, but that was because basically the servers were straining. As a massive source of that strain, removing the search provided some medium-term relief for the hardware.

It'll be back soon enough. You've waitied long enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Well, the most significant speed increase that I've noticed have all been RAM related. When the search was taken away, I didn't notice that big a speed increase.
    I'd rather had slow boardsie with good seach that medium boardsie with not search.
    Then again with all these bloody ads all over the place, will it ever be "fast"? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

What about a fast site with a fast search? Throwing hardware at something doesn't fix it. And I wasn't aware you had access to the boards.ie performance profiler to know what impact the RAM had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

"It'll be back soon enough. You've waitied long enough."

i heard that a year ago. Hardware was upgraded and still no decent search.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

quarryman wrote:
    i heard that a year ago. Hardware was upgraded and still no decent search.
    Well the new hardware (ie RAM) only went in a few weeks ago. Unless you want to pay someone to do this full time, you need a bit of patience.

Oriel, before they took the search away, the site was bordering on unusable. I can remember pages taking anything up to 2 minutes to load properly, and frequent timeouts. As soon as it was taken away, the site almost returned to normal. That's what, 2 years ago now? Maybe your memory is a little hazy? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Why is everything crawling today then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Hmm, Just to add to what Seamus was saying, with search enabled it wasn't just the speed that sucked but also the regular errors. It had nothing to do with 4gb and the ram was never the issue it was the processing power.

That said I'm unaware of where exactly the problem lay with the search, i.e was it a crap algorithm, crap code, or database server under too much stress?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

There are workarounds for the search and there is a topic at the top of this page detailing how to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Yep it was the 2Gb of ram we added.....

Not the 5 load balanced web nodes and ****e load of database optimisation and site development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Thats crazy talk Asok.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Allow people one proper search per day? :)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

A nice ticket system. One search active on boards at anyone time. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Number 34, 567. I repeat: number 34, 567. Please use your search now!
    /releases semaphore.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I was in a meeting and missed my turn! :cries:

Advertisement