Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM Warning!!

Options
  • 19-07-2007 2:05pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Folks hopefully this will sort a few people out so they don't have to go throught the ordeal I have on my hands at the minute!!

I hope naming this ATM won't get me in trouble but it is a faulty machine so its just to warn people!!

On my way home to Longford yesterday evening I stopped in the Esso (The newly renovated one) on the Mullingar by-pass to get money out of the ATM to pay my rent. I put my card in and requested €380. After a minute or two of waiting the machine came up with an error on the screen. "We could not contact your bank/branch" or something along those lines.
    I tried again thinking it was a one off and the same thing happened.
    My other half went to use it and she got the error first time she used it but on the second time she used it she got her money out. There was a q behind me so I let them go first and tried again!! Same errors and then all of a sudden I was able to get my balance, it was out by nearly €400.
    It wouldn't let me print a mini-statement so I had to drive all the way down to Longford in a bull thick mood and when I got there I pulled up to the bank to get a mini-statement and it confirmed my worst fears. My account had just being deducted €380!!! My g/f's account had been deducted twice but there was also €400 refunded to her account so she was lucky!! I had to goto the bank today and fill in forms which I will be waiting for a few weeks to get sorted.

Basically called a liar and all sorts and they are adamant I have the money but I am facing the prospect of loosing my home cos I can't pay the rent, lanlord wants it by Monday at the latest and I won't have it cos I am not paid until Thursday!! I also have maintenance payments and loan repayments all due out and some of them won't go because this mixup so I am going to face a lot of trouble over it!!

Please avoid this machine until they get it fixed and anyone that has used it check your balance to make sure moeny was not taken out without you getting it!!
    Please bring this to the attention of anyone you know that might use this machine!!

Mods: Please fee free to move but I think AH will get a wider audience and make sure people don't get caught with this as it could be a month before I hear anything and even at that I am not guaranteed my money back!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Gumbyman

Do you want a lend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

jonny24ie wrote:
    Folks hopefully this will sort a few people out so they don't have to go throught the ordeal I have on my hands at the minute!!

I hope naming this ATM won't get me in trouble but it is a faulty machine so its just to warn people!!

On my way home to Longford yesterday evening I stopped in the Esso (The newly renovated one) on the Mullingar by-pass to get money out of the ATM to pay my rent. I put my card in and requested €380. After a minute or two of waiting the machine came up with an error on the screen. "We could not contact your bank/branch" or something along those lines.
    My other half went to use it and she got the error first time she used it but on the second time she used it she got her money out. There was a q behind me so I let them go first and tried again!! Same errors and then all of a sudden I was able to get my balance, it was out by nearly €400.
    It wouldn't let me print a mini-statement so I had to drive all the way down to Longford in a bull thick mood and when I got there I pulled up to the bank to get a mini-statement and it confirmed my worst fears. My account had just being deducted €380!!! My g/f's account had been deducted twice but there was also €400 refunded to her account so she was lucky!! I had to goto the bank today and fill in forms which I will be waiting for a few weeks to get sorted.

Basically called a liar and all sorts and they are adamant I have the money but I am facing the prospect of loosing my home cos I can't pay the rent, lanlord wants it by Monday at the latest and I won't have it cos I am not paid until Thursday!! I also have maintenance payments and loan repayments all due out and some of them won't go because this mixup so I am going to face a lot of trouble over it!!

Please avoid this machine until they get it fixed and anyone that has used it check your balance to make sure moeny was not taken out without you getting it!!
    Please bring this to the attention of anyone you know that might use this machine!!

Mods: Please fee free to move but I think AH will get a wider audience and make sure people don't get caught with this as it could be a month before I hear anything and even at that I am not guaranteed my money back!!

I have heard this story (not yours but the same thing) several times now, on the radio and from peeps I know and in each case it was a petrol station that had the problem machine ! A bit worrying really !

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Surely the machine's balance will be up 380 if you didn't receive your money, and they'll be able to credit you?

If you know it should be moved why did you post it here?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,417 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Surely if the machine was checked the balance of cash would be 350 (or more) out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,417 ✭✭✭✭looksee

OK 380, you beat me to it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

MarkR wrote:
    Surely the machine's balance will be up 380 if you didn't receive your money, and they'll be able to credit you?

If you know it should be moved why did you post it here?

Well it will take two weeks of investigating to balance the machine!!!

I posted here as I think it relevant to all as some people might take a trip there and I don't want the whole this should be in X forum like the whole dublin forum etc at the moment!! Its relevant to all people that will be near there not just those that live there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Thi happened me before. It will take a few weeks to get credited unfortunately and there is nothing you can do. Perhaps somebody in the bank will arrange a temporary overdraft for you? Be nice, but desperate - going in with all guns blazing woll guarantee no result as they are under no obligation to do this for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

This happened to my wife and it took her 2 months to get the money back. The bank stonewalled her for ages. You have to keep at them and threaten to move bank if they get lippy. Also threaten small claims court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

kmick wrote:
    This happened to my wife and it took her 2 months to get the money back. The bank stonewalled her for ages. You have to keep at them and threaten to move bank if they get lippy. Also threaten small claims court.

I can see the headlines now, "Bank in Fleecing its customers and not giving a **** shocker".:D

why is it that Banks advertise to get your custom, then when you are with them, they treat you like shoite.:confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

squibs wrote:
    Thi happened me before. It will take a few weeks to get credited unfortunately and there is nothing you can do. Perhaps somebody in the bank will arrange a temporary overdraft for you? Be nice, but desperate - going in with all guns blazing woll guarantee no result as they are under no obligation to do this for you.

They have to apply for the overdraft and it will take a week!! By then I will be paid again and it will be too late to pay the landlord!! He wasn't impressed that it was late already even when explained so I will have to get cash by any means possible!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Surely the is cctv at the petrol station.
    Go there and ask them if they will supply the bank with the tapes.
    If the times match up, then you have a stronger case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Tippex

This happened to me this morning at Bray Dart station. Very strange indeed nothing gone of the account though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I've had this happen a couple of times to me. The machine gives an error but if you check your balance it shows the money came out. Usually the problem is resolved that night and the refund goes back on your account. Have you checked your balance today?

jor el wrote:
    I've had this happen a couple of times to me. The machine gives an error but if you check your balance it shows the money came out. Usually the problem is resolved that night and the refund goes back on your account. Have you checked your balance today?

Yeah, it came out, was refunded back in and then came out again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

The reason it takes awhile to get your money back is because the banks don't service these machines, so they have to wait for whoever does to get back to them with mistakes. At least thats the line I was given when it happened to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

This happened me before also. I was using a different atm than my banks so they told me I had to talk to my bank about it. I did. They chased the other bank and they said that everything was balanced. That was all I heard. A couple of weeks later the money was put back in my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

Tippex wrote:
    This happened to me this morning at Bray Dart station. Very strange indeed nothing gone of the account though.

It happened to me in the Mace in the IFSC at lunch time today. Tried to take out 20 and the error was something along the lines of 'We could not contact your bank'. I just thought it was a communication problem and tried again but the same error came up. I tried a different ATM and got out 20. My online banking says that only 20 was withdrawn today but now I'm wondering if the other transactions will be deducted too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

This has happened to me in past

45 days after i recieved my money

have to complete the form

They said they will check CCTV

and i felt like a liar but finally i got it.

Feel sorry for your situation.I hope someone can help you there.

Since then i always have "buffer" zone in my mind incase if something happen
    my immediate payments dont get affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Machines often have errors.

Technology is like that. Remember they are just computers of a sort, and they come with many of the same issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

BuffyBot wrote:
    Machines often have errors.

Technology is like that. Remember they are just computers of a sort, and they come with many of the same issues.
    These machines are supposed to be specifically designed so that the last thing that happens is your account is debited the amount.
    Otherwise the whole transaction is canceled.

OP, was it an older machine?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

OP,

I used to work in a garage that had an ATM and this does happen, quite a bit in fact. Our ATM ran an old version of Windows NT :eek: , all the ATM is is a PC running a crappy Microsoft OS so it's no surprise this kind of thing happens.

Some advice:

1. The Garage almost certainly has CCTV on the ATM, when the bank installs the ATM they usually make it a requirement. So talk to the owner / manager and they should help you out with the tape.

2. If the bank doesn't balance the ATM, that means the garage does. This is usually done every day so it should just be a matter of talking to whoever does the books at the garage to sort it out. Each night the machine is cleared and three print out are taken which contain all the info on the day's transactions. The answer is in there somewhere.

Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

happened to me, the machine left me 200 short, the bank sorted it out fairly pronto, fair play to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ibjiba

Sticky situation. But with a cctv things should be able to be sorted. The bank should have been able to match the amount of money in the machine to the withdrawals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I prefer to pay as many things with credit card as possible. Its like a fu€king warzone going to ATMs, you have you fight your way past beggars, check that your card isn't being skimmed then make sure little €unts don't rush behind and grab your money. We really need telephone kiosk style atm machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Moved from AH.

Really, why post this in AH? The machine is almost definitely fixed by this point etc.

nesf wrote:
    Moved from AH.

Really, why post this in AH? The machine is almost definitely fixed by this point etc.

AH reaches a wider audience and its a different matter if it was €50 but €400 is a lot of money to be leaving a person out of poket!!

The machine is still not fixed, i spoke to the staff in the garage on the way home this evening and they said that its a loose cable on the machine and that they will be out in a few days to fix it!! Also there is no "Out of Order" sign on it at all its still in use right now!!

Its one of the new "easycash" machines!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

jonny24ie wrote:

Maybe I can help. The least your bank should do for you is provide you with a temp overdraft as a matter of urgency until it's sorted; in fairness this is not your fault. It could take at least 2 weeks or more to sort out. If there's any interest charged in the time being I would look to have it refunded. If needs be talk to your branch manager who should help. I know it can be done.

Stuff like this happens all the time but usually it is sorted on the spot by an ATM adjustment the next day. However in your case it seems not. Just make sure you keep on their case. However, you need to understand that it takes time to investigate and so be patient.

Finally, if you feel that you are not getting the attention your case merits, please contact the financial regulator. They will come down hard on the bank if they have not acted propertly.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

jonny24ie wrote:
    AH reaches a wider audience and its a different matter if it was €50 but €400 is a lot of money to be leaving a person out of poket!

One, read the bloody charter.
    Two, atms break down all the time. This isn't in anyway a singular or exceptional incident for anyone except you since you're out of pocket.

stepbar wrote:
    Maybe I can help. The least your bank should do for you is provide you with a temp overdraft as a matter of urgency until it's sorted; in fairness this is not your fault. It could take at least 2 weeks or more to sort out. If there's any interest charged in the time being I would look to have it refunded. If needs be talk to your branch manager who should help. I know it can be done.

Stuff like this happens all the time but usually it is sorted on the spot by an ATM adjustment the next day. However in your case it seems not. Just make sure you keep on their case. However, you need to understand that it takes time to investigate and so be patient.

Finally, if you feel that you are not getting the attention your case merits, please contact the financial regulator. They will come down hard on the bank if they have not acted propertly.

They won't give me a temp overdraft and they told me if I incur charges as a result then its my own fault!! I am contenplating getting the gardai involved as it is theft of my money!!

• Advertisement

nesf wrote:
    One, read the bloody charter.
    Two, atms break down all the time. This isn't in anyway a singular or exceptional incident for anyone except you since you're out of pocket.

ONE: Read my bloody first post!! I said it was to alert people about a broekn ATM thats still not fixed!!!

TWO: Yes I am out of pocket and I am trying to save others from being out of pocket aswell by highlighting a faulty ATM thats not going to be fixed until next week!!

Advertisement