Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mounting an LCD in a wall

Options
  • 19-07-2007 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Can anyone confirm if a LCD tv can be mounted in a stud wall? so that it is flush with the face of the wall. would it require a duct or fan to remove heat/ provide air flow to the rear of the unit? obviously any insulation will be removed and the tv will be fixed to a timber framework within the wall.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

depends totally on the TV I would have said.
    LCD's dont get as hot as a CRT would but that said they do still get hot and no ventilation is usually not very good for electrical equipment unless its designed that way.

That said unless your house is of the newer variety is probably doesnt have any insulation in the internal walls so you should be ok...

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

I would be concerned about the heat/ventilation.
    Contact the manufacturer about it.
    Something to consider is they make lcd tvs for bathrooms which are flush with the wall, find out do they have special requirements similar to your situation.
    Or would a bathroom lcd come big enough for what you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

well i have the tv already so i might just drop the manufacturer an email. thanks for the opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

What will you do with the cables? We were going to do this; in the end we didn't bother but we did put sockets behind where the TV will be and we ran a HDMI (I think) cable through the wall to a socket point nearby so we could plug it in to the DVD player. No point having it all slick if there's wires hanging out. Sure you've thought of this already anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

ya, power cable will run up the inside of the wall into the attic and to a fused spur. ill make sure that ive all the cables connected into the tv before finishing up (although im going to have to make it so the tv can be removed if need be anyway) then connecting it to the pc in the attic office and a remote eye in the bedroom to control it. at least that way i dont need to worry about going to attic loading dvds etc as i can play them over the network from the pc in living room or just play from media stored on the pc.
    more i think about it, id be as well off to fit a chrome wall vent faceplate above and below and some pc fans to force the air flow. sounding like a bit too much work but i get awful bored when there's this much rain about

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

It does sound like a lot of hassle. You can be sure you'll have to take the tv out occasionally. Did you think about how you'd bracket the tv in the stud wall? I would imagine heat dissipation would be a problem, let me know what the manufacturer recommends :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Noviceman

then connecting it to the pc in the attic office and a remote eye in the bedroom to control it. at least that way i dont need to worry about going to attic loading dvds etc as i can play them over the network from the pc in living room or just play from media stored on the pc.

how are you connecting your tv to the pc? i'm wiring my house at the moment and want some way of connecting the tv to a laptop\pc in a different room, but obviously that cable will not be long enough. Has anybody done this, any ideas, can i connect both video and audio?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭tattoo

I'm just about finished building my house and i looked into building studding around tv. I'm sitting it above fireplace. I asked builders, joiners and tv sales people. All advised against it. They weren't really sure if there would be a problem but they were worried about the heat. I've decided not to build the studding but i'm still hanging it above fireplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

Noviceman wrote:
    how are you connecting your tv to the pc? i'm wiring my house at the moment and want some way of connecting the tv to a laptop\pc in a different room, but obviously that cable will not be long enough. Has anybody done this, any ideas, can i connect both video and audio?

If your PC/Laptop has a DVI or HDMI output and your TV has a HDMI input, I believe you can get very long cables to suit. I think you can get DVI to HDMI and DVI to DVI.

Some here but I'm sure you could get from some european distributor.
    http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI-hdmi_cables.html#hdmidvi-r2

Thanks Dougal, great site. Excuse my ignorance on this, but how would I wire this? Would I need to have two more HDMI cables from laptop and tv connecting to HDMI connection in wall and can you get HDMI 'sockets'? I've never seen these

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭buzzard

Noviceman wrote:
    Thanks Dougal, great site. Excuse my ignorance on this, but how would I wire this? Would I need to have two more HDMI cables from laptop and tv connecting to HDMI connection in wall and can you get HDMI 'sockets'? I've never seen these

Have a look at www.keene.co.uk they have a range of audio / visual products

http://www.keene.co.uk/electronics/multi.php?mycode=hcp26

Expensive but finishes the job.

cool, although i would then need another connection to tv and pc, think i'm just going leave the cable rolled up in a blank socket in the wall, not as neat, but more effective

Advertisement