Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New DVD writer needs a Vista re-activation?

• 19-07-2007 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭

My DVD writer up and died on me a couple of days ago , so I bought and installed a new one , and my Vista OEM now needs to be re-activated , I know its no problem , I'll make the call tonight , however I didnt think a minor component like that should trigger a re-activation.

Anybody else have this issue ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

mathias wrote:
    My DVD writer up and died on me a couple of days ago , so I bought and installed a new one , and my Vista OEM now needs to be re-activated , I know its no problem , I'll make the call tonight , however I didnt think a minor component like that should trigger a re-activation.

Anybody else have this issue ?

Probably related to the ****ty DRM lockdown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Probably Vista's product activation being weird same as XP's was from time to time.

I have heard of it happening to others but never happened to myself personally, even after a bios update caused all the hardware to be re-detected in my laptop.

Usually the OS keeps track of what hardware changes and assigns a token equaling a number of points & when you go over a certain number of points the activation prompt kicks in at least thats how it's supposed to work in theory from what I read for XP (there was a great site that explained it all but I've lost the link and my Google Fu fails me). In Vista allegedly as long as you don't change the motherboard the product activation should not kick in but clearly that is not the case although that may only apply to retail and there are different rules for OEM.

Anyway no idea as to why either it's a bug in the activation system (most likely candidate as there have been a few hotfixs on this already) or something else pushed the points over the line where activation kicks in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Well , got it reactivated , asked the girl on the other end about it , she didnt really know , but she said as far as she did know it shouldn't have asked for a re-activation for one component and it was probably a bug.

Another one for Service pack 1

Edit: It would seem it is indeed a known bug ,

http://www.computerworlduk.com/technology/operating-systems/windows/news/index.cfm?newsid=2034

Advertisement