Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fullbore/CF

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

True there are different positions that a sniper has to learn to shoot at, but there not going to use them in a combat situation, because every sniper will use a prone position for a shot. There not going to shoot offhand at a target 500 yards away....

BUT you are still taught to do it in case that time comes that you must do that shot.And you will qualify with it as well.True prone supported is best,but you might not have that opportunity every time.
    The guys you see at Camp Perry are part of the Marine Corp Rifle Team or the Army Marksmanship Unit. Now these boys are permanently attached to the rifle team or marksmanship unit. They do not see action. they train 6 days a week in whatever discipline they are shooting in (high-power service rifle usually, match rifle, 300m Issf, 50m small-bore or pistol) So they shoot a hell of a lot more than any civie out there.... They do well at Perry in any service rifle comp because of it.

The saying in the Corps is you are a rifleman first,everything else second.
    [although the Corps training in basic marksmanship was sadly lacking for a good long while].These guys will have done basic,and will have had some combat stint,as they are either long term or lifers,not your std 5 year cannon fodder.Same as the USAF Blue Angels or T birds.You wont be invited unles you have x amount of hours or flown x amount of combat missions.
    So they will have seen combat,or that somone there is a REMF[Rear Echelon Mutha FKer] who has managed to pull easy duty.ASFIK ,selection is based on the best shots per unit,battalion,and then inter corps.[Have to dig out my copy of White feather.]

I don’t know what comps the military shoot in Perry with a Remmie 700
    ?

Sorry..my mistake.:o
    Thinking of another competition.run by a crowd in Texas called Rifles only.Hosting a all comers sniper rifle competition.If anyone is intrested maybe we could try an irish team for it?
    www.riflesonly.com

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Sputnik

Agreed 100%.But we were on about wether a sniper could hold their own against a civvie target shooter,and wether sniping equipment was better than civvie equipment[not at all].

Oh i know, what i ment was that shooting isn't all a sniper does, whereas a civvie shooter practices nothing else, hence I wouldn't be surprised if target shooters are better at the high end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

bernard93 wrote:
    Remmy,

The vast majority or TR shooters used issued Military ball ammo, AND they still shoot great scores. Compared to a sniper who uses military match ammo which is made specifically for there rifles.

Bernard
    I dont know if you are talking about the past or present but modern target rifle shooters who shoot competitively certainly dont use issued military ball ammo. Whatever made you think that?:confused:

Even if someone threw 2k into a BR machine how are they supposed to hit the v bull at 600 with military surplus ammo.It would be a major weak link since most other's would be using reloads. Why do you think anyone who is interested in consistent accuracy spends so much time refining ammunition variations?

Remmy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭bernard93

Remmy,

The imperial and queen’s prize in bisley (going on at the moment) and the vast majority of Commonwealth TR shoots take place with Rg or equivalent military ammo... the Palma comp takes place with military ammo from that county.

The reason behind it is that no competitor has an edge over somebody else.

Even if you shoot the Irish open in Ballykindler you will be issued Rg brown box ammo which is what they use in Gpmg's and such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

bernard93 wrote:
    Remmy,

Even if you shoot the Irish open in Ballykindler

Always sounds funny to me that the "Irish Open" isn't shot at a range in the Republic of Ireland.
    You'd imagine that would be it's natural home. :rolleyes:

BTW...I thought I'd heard that BallyK was going to be closed down..
    Something to do with local zoning issues ..?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerri

jaycee wrote:

Always sounds funny to me that the "Irish Open" isn't shot at a range in the Republic of Ireland.
    You'd imagine that would be it's natural home. :rolleyes:

BTW...I thought I'd heard that BallyK was going to be closed down..
    Something to do with local zoning issues ..?

Why funny? Why would the Republic of Ireland be it's natural home? It's the Irish Open not the Republic of Ireland Open!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It's funny because it's a British Army base Gerri. The country it's in isn't really the point, though it does show up licencing laws in both the ROI and NI in that the competitors going to an all-Ireland Open can't just go there, as some will have a licence that's recognised and sufficient, and others need to arrange further paperwork. You'd imagine that there'd be a special arrangement made (and we've actually asked for that from the DoJ, but I'm not holding my breath).

(And shouldn't the location for the Irish Open be in the ROI at least every other year until that gets sorted out?)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

they are operating under totally different requirements and cant really be compared to one another.

Best answer so far. Take a competition shooter and a sniper on a known-distance range with all the appropriate conditions such as (generally) a dry, flat place to shoot from, stationary target, and often a flag to show you windspeed and direction, the competition shooter will likely win.

Put the two on the side of a sloped hill, probably in the rain with lots of undergrowth, point to a random moving target 'out thataway' and tell them to hit on the first try (No adjusting for fall of shot!), my money's on the military (or police) sniper.
    if memory serves in USMC they take there final assesment shots at about 300yrds

If not closer. The trick with the final assessment isn't hitting the target, it's getting to within 300 yards to take the shot in the first place!

NTM

Advertisement