Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

starting new business

Options
  • 19-07-2007 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

hi - i am at the very early stage of preparing to leave my job and start a business - at this stage i realize that surely the most important thing is research

i just thought i would come on here and see if anyone has any good web links or other pointers for me which might help me get pointed in the right direction.
    i havent really done anything yet but jot down raw ideas so my 1st port of call will be the local enterprise board after i have something a bit more solid , but are there any good business websites or forums i could use to pick up tips and get advice etc or books i could buy etc.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭information

Try this, if you get on it will definitely multiply your chances of success
    http://www.pdc.ie/news/article.asp?id=110

General startup advise
    http://www.startingabusinessinireland.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

had a look at those - excellent - thanks very much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Billy55

I found a startup business promotion at www.bmssoftware.ie/promotion2.htm

Its for a laptop, laser printer, ms office, accounting system, payroll system and antivirus software as well as a 2gb USB Stick all for €1295

I'm thinking of setting up a stratup company as well and thats the best deal I've been able to find.

Revenue website is also very good. www.revenue.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Thats poor value TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

That package isn't great value-for-money alright, most components come much cheaper or higher spec seperately. Shows you there's a market for all-in-one packages though!

To the original poster - talk to your county enterprise board, maybe attend a couple of their training courses (very cheap). Good people to talk to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭MB74

You should maybe try some of the networking events, Plato or BNI or Chamber of Commerce. There is usually a good spread of people at these events so great for bouncing ideas and queries around.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 GEDI

For general information on businesses / companies you could look here

http://www.wexfordceb.ie/pdf/A%20Guide%20to%20Business%20Law.pdf

For information on putting together business plans, most banks websites (e.g. BOI and AIB) have sample business plans as do the Enterprise Boards websites.

For actually registering the company, you could go directly to www.cro.ie or use an agent such as www.getregistered.ie to do it for you.

Hope this Helps
    Gedi

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yes Enterprise Boards are good and very helpful. You might consider taking a day or afternoon off to go and chat to them.
    They also run a SYOB (Start Your Own Business) course in conjunction with FÁS, which might suit the OP even if they haven't started out on the path just yet.

Typically they run over eights weeks or so, once a week. Good grounding in all sorts of things and I certainly found it very useful.

Plato are good to talk to but not a huge amount of help until your are a couple of years into business. BNI will not really look at newbies but great to go and have a look and meet people. They may also point you in the direction of other contacts. Remember though that BNI is at 7.00 AM.

Chambers can be good depending on who is running them. You also get access to a large mailing list of members.

I also found www.basis.ie useful as a repository of inforamtion.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Trojan wrote:
    That package isn't great value-for-money alright, most components come much cheaper or higher spec seperately. Shows you there's a market for all-in-one packages though!

Not everyone is looking for "rigs" or has the time to go pricing components.
    For a small business performing typical office tasks that is pretty much everything you need. There are far more important considerations like getting a business running, marketing, finance etc.

Considering that the printer, MS-Office and the accounting software would probably cost €400 , the convenience of getting it all together negates the perceived extra cost.

I have bought from BMS and I have found them reliable and generally efficient. And as posted they tend to do decent business deals.

• Advertisement
Advertisement