Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Would you ever buy a car for a car auction?

Options
  • 19-07-2007 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

Was out at the Merlin Car Auction in Ashbourne last night the cars were going for decent prices. Would you every buy a car like this or would it just be trouble?

Would you ever buy a car in a car auction? 18 votes

Yes and had no problems
    0% 0 votes
    Yes and had problems with the car
    33% 6 votes
    Yes would consider it
    16% 3 votes
    No
    50% 9 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I have bought 6 cars in Merlin. I did have problems with 2 of the cars but nothing major though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Can you see who the previous owners were? A lot of those will be ex-fleet, if you have enough time you could put a call in to the company involved, and if you get through to someone nice they should be able to tell you if it was a dog or a peach.

generally after you buy the car you get te ownership papers so it's only then you see who the last owner was. and I only ever got 1 service book with a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

If you can't tell a car is a lemon at an auction then it does not matter where you buy it cos it will still be a lemon and you still won't be able to tell it's a lemon until after you buy it and the repair bills mount up.

Like all car buying, if you aren't a mechanically minded god then get someone who is at least closer to one than you to look the car over. At an auction you get less time but if you can't sort the good from the bad then it is possibly best you buy somewhere safer, like a dealer offering a warranty.

If you are pretty savvy about cars then an auction is the best place to buy for a certain type of car, you get to choose what to look at, you choose how much the car is worth to you and you don't have a salesman trying to guide you towards the one they can't sell at all. If you don't get the first one you wanted at the price you wanted, don't worry, there will be another along soon :)

Just for the record, a lot of dealers secondhand "showroom" stock will have been sourced at auctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Do you have any comback at all buying at an auction? Like, what if the car was clocked and stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They're normally sold "as seen" with no warranty at auctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

How much does it cost to flog a car at an auction?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

€50 i think. They do charge extra fees as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Anyone SOLD at auction?
    How does it work for a seller? can you set a minimum reserve?
    Do you still pay if it doesn't shift?

you can set a reserve but be prepared to take a hit. I bought a car to sell on and couldn't shift it. Sold it back at auction 2 months later and lost 2k. I wouldn't get into buying and selling again, I made a bit of money but the hassle just wasn't worth it at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement