Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for a Boozer on Saturday night

Options
  • 19-07-2007 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭

I'm taking Mrs Billy to Waterford at the weekend.
    Any recommendations for boozers with music (maybe trad?) suiting a 30-something couple (i.e. not wall-to-wall pìssed-up kids) for Saturday night around the city center?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Down's if you just want a quiet night.

No blaring music. Good crowd. Good pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Thanks folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

A couple of places...

Geoffs (good all round, no trad)
    Gingerman (if no one is playing)
    T&H Doolans (trad every night of the week)
    Downes (oldest pub in Waterford)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I'd avoid T&H's if you actually like trad music. Waterford city is not the best for trad.
    Depends on what you want out of a night out. Seeing as it's just yourself and the missus I'm guessing you're not up for a lads night out.

From that point of view I'd recommend Downes or Nells on the quay, they're both very close, so if you don't like one you can always pop to the other.

They're both only about 5 mins from the centre anyway, so if you don't like either you won't be stuck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Apparently Electric Avenue is good, tho iv not yet been in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Electric Avenue wouldn't really be a "quite" place for a few drinks. To be honest, you're a little exposed in the place. Very open.

It's a nice venue if you're with a group. They should turn down the music a bit if people want to talk though!!
    Sully wrote:
    Apparently Electric Avenue is good, tho iv not yet been in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Well, Mrs Billy & I had a cracking evening in Waterford. We'll defnitely be back. Pottered about town in the afternoon - had a couple in Geoff's. Sat by the window & watched some weird & wonderful people walk by.

Had a quick bevvy in Phil Grimes' late afternoon. Really nice, quiet boozer at that time. Then a few "aperitifs" in The Three Shippes.

Across the road for a fantastic meal in Tuk Tuk Thai. Really incredible. Great food, great value & the staff were second to none!

Back to The Three Shippes for a couple of nightcaps (& entertainment courtesy of Damian the barman).

Thanks again for the ideas guys. Maybe next time I'll get to hear what your trad musicians are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Brian 11

T&hs is the oldest pub in Waterford by a long
    Shot it's actually one of theoldest bars
    In Ireland, if not the oldest .
    Downes is only a whipper snaper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Myself and another chap are compiling a blog/site on the best pint of Guinness in Waterford (well it's just Waterford at the moment).

Most of the content should be up during the week so I'll pot it then but so far Murphy's on the Quay has the nicest pint.

T&H's is also good. Downes (is on the list of pubs to do still) is around since 1797 I think (I watched a YouTube clip yesterday about it) while T&Hs claim to be older but does anyone know when it was created first?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

5 year old thread is 5 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

5 year old thread is 5 years old.

And the new pubs are now old ones.

Advertisement