Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monsoonal Rains to hit England & Wales and perhaps Eastern Ireland

Options
  • 19-07-2007 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Tomorrow is going to be another exceptional day as far as the weather is concerned across Ireland and Britain.

At this stage fortunately it is looking like the worst of the rain will affect central England but heavy rain could still affect southern and eastern Ireland throughout tomorrow.

Tomorrow could be a catastrophic day for many areas of England are they are bracing themselves for some severe flooding

Rtavn304.png

The Met Office is predicting 100mm of rain to fall in some locations in 9 or 12 hours.

I reckon we should have discussion about this event here.

It's going to be pretty exceptional, it will occur during tomorrow afternoon but we should begin to see what is precisely going to happen later tonight as the Low Pressure systems rapidly forms and push west and north out of France.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm willing to bet the sky does not fall in and no Ark will be floated.

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

wellies maybe but they dont call the place ark=low for nothing, its shall not float

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just saw the BBC1 forcast, looking pretty bleugh for much of eastern Ireland.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Monsoon is perfect word for :eek: :eek:

Raining at more than a mm a minute for past 15 minutes.
    Rainrate just hit 228mm/hr. For an non shower event, this is amazing.

This looks like its going to be an awesome day.

BTW 23mm and rising very fast.

20mm since 8am.

• Advertisement

See that mothman on the radar.
    Thats completely missed here-15 miles down the road from you -just 4.8mm!

Theres sferics just off the coast at wicklow head by the way in that downpour you are having.

http://meteocentre.com/lightning/eur_sfuk.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

A loud rumble of thunder woke me from my bed rain must have just begun.:D

yup that stuff near mothman and just off the coast is heading straight into Dublin.
    Stand by with the lead umberella's!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Rain just got very heavy here in Dublin 8 (James St) in last 15 minutes; strangely sky brightening up a lot at the moment but rain still very heavy. Was also a few rumbles and a flash as the heavy rain started.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Out here in Clondalking it got very dark for a while, so much that the street lights came on here. Also it started to pelt down for about a 20 minute period. It's brightened up again now. Could be an interesting day!

• Advertisement

I thought I heard the thunder, so thats confirmed. My broadband has been mostly off this morning.

19mm is my highest 30minute fall since recording began in 1999.

In a dry slot at moment.

Also despite the rain starting at 7am, this is my 2nd wettest July day in my records, either 00-24hr or 09z-09z timescales

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I only noticed when I was eating breakfast that there was heavy rain coming from the northeast. That's unusual, and the rain was heavy for a frontal system.

I only got up 20 mins ago, so I'm trying to work out if yesterday was a dry day by meteorological 09z-09z times. If it's UTC times, then yes. If BST times, then mabye not. It could be the first dry day since a week or so before July began.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Scuba.ie

Been raining here (near Ashbourne) all day, but we got 15mins of torrential rain that has just passed...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Just a puny little trickle in North Co. Cork to small to be measured. Yesterday, however, we had 5.6 mm in 20 mins ... best test for repaired roof - so far no more leaks :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

Very heavy rain here at the moment wil update when it slows down abit:D

EDIT: 17:04 slowed down now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Surrey Snow

Exactly 100mm in total yesterday morning here in NW Surrey. :eek:

Plus another 15mm today (Saturday)

Needless to say yesterday was quite a "splash". ;)

Some places received 30-40mm in a single hour!

Highets rainfall 135.2mm Pershore College Worcestershire! :eek:

SS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Exactly 100mm in total yesterday morning here in NW Surrey. :eek:

Plus another 15mm today (Saturday)

Needless to say yesterday was quite a "splash". ;)

Some places received 30-40mm in a single hour!

Highets rainfall 135.2mm Pershore College Worcestershire! :eek:

SS
    Damn, that is a savage amount of rain... and we complain that it rains too much over here..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Damn, that is a savage amount of rain... and we complain that it rains too much over here..
    I agree,although large volumes of rain over here is contributing to an unforgettable summer of little sun,it is in fact inferior to the deluges the UK has been getting of late.There some severe totals have been recorded there aswell as the severe floods in a short span of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Just looking at the bbc site now, and it says that up to 350,000 people will be without fresh water, as a treatment plant has been flooded, and the river Severn is on its way to bursting its banks. Not looking good over there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

The situation in england is actually getting worse in some areas, even 2 days after the rain actually fell. Along with the water supply, many towns are and will be losing their electricity supply as sub stations are getting flooded. The aerial pictures on the news looked incredible, so much of the countryside is under water and many rivers are still rising.

• Advertisement
Advertisement