Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buy now or buy later?

• 19-07-2007 5:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

I am about to buy a gaming lap top any my Dad is about to buy a desktop for video editing but....

is now a good time to buy a computer or are there some upgrades (or a price drop) around the corner worth waiting for?

I'd be prepared to wait a month, maybe two.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think someone said Intel have a price drop around the corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Any more details?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

silvine wrote:
    I am about to buy a gaming lap top any my Dad is about to buy a desktop for video editing but....

is now a good time to buy a computer or are there some upgrades (or a price drop) around the corner worth waiting for?

I'd be prepared to wait a month, maybe two.

There is always an AMD/Intel/whatever price drop "just around the corner". If you wait a month or two, you will always get a better deal.

In the past, this did not hold true during the winter months, since Christmas drove up the prices, not sure if the christmas season still effets prices the same as it did in years past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'd say the same. If you can hold off, it's always worth doing (to a point). August / September usually sees price cuts for back to school, but there again Intel did just announce their price cuts so....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭SeanW

There's always SOMETHING just around the corner. In the last year there have been a lot of these - Core2Duo processors, nVidia GeForce 8 cards (DirectX 10 capability) AMD/ATIs response to same, Windows Vista etc.

There are no major technological or other breakthroughs coming just around the corner ATM that I know of, so from that point there's nothing worth waiting for except perhaps Vista SP1 but I don't think that's happening very soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

As everyone has already said, there's always price drops... in 6 months your rig will be probably be half the price. The key is to always look at price/performance and avoid the high-end (and extremely high-priced) kit when you can get 95% of the performance for 50% of the cost going slightly down the CPU/memory/disk/video scales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Well Intel are dropping prices on the 22nd (2 days time), so its probably worth to wait for that :) No other point to buy later otherwise, there will always be something better "soon".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I think I can wait two days! Any idea what they're dropping the prices on?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

silvine wrote:
    I think I can wait two days! Any idea what they're dropping the prices on?
    Apparently a quad core(I think it's the q660) will be dropped to $266 but that could just be for companies buying in large quantities.

Advertisement