Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving 3 Datacard Reception

Options
  • 19-07-2007 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Thanks for the recommedation in an earlier thread :) - we got the 3 datacard and it seems to work. Finally! Some sort of broadband out here. It's a bit unpredictable, but its heaven compared to dialup! The only problem is that it only works in one small corner of the kitchen, so we're sitting there with the laptop balanced on our knees. If I got the "linksys" wireless router, would it mean that I could leave the router in the kitchen and use my laptop as usual in the office, or does at least one computer need to be physically wired to the router to set up a network? I'm a bit clueless!

Are there any other ways to improve the signal? I've seen some wee antenna that clip on to the datacard. Are they any good? I also searched a bit in the forums and saw some of you were getting aerials from a german site, but I'm a bit confused about what will work with the Huawei E630. Basically, if I were to purchase one thing (with my limited budget!), what would be best - the wireless router, or the larger aerial set-up (is it the SP17?)?

Cheers,

Bag.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

The antenna is very powerful, and will get you a signal where there is none, however it wouldn't be practical to use it with a laptop I think, because you wouldn't want to carry it around with you... So in either case, you'd want to get the router.

As far as the Linksys router, no, you would not have to have a computer physically there. It's just like any broadband router -- it's stand-alone, and works without a computer connected to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Does this datacard slot into the PCMCIA slot on the laptop? If so getting a router will not help unless you have one which accepts the datacard :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

Hey Urban,

Many thanks for the advice! :) Looks like I'll be getting the router then. Would the SP 17 be the Antenna to get? Do I need anything else? Sorry for all the questions... :o

Hey Degsie,

Yup! the router accepts the data card - it's a specific 3g one.

Cheers guys,

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

The router is now just €149 from elara.ie. If you get that antenna as well (looks like you won't need it though), you will need to purchase the correct pigtail, basically that's an adapter, so you can plug it into your Huawei card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

Hey Urban,

Thanks again for all the advice! I've just ordered the router now. Can't wait to get my mitts on it. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

B.

• Advertisement
Advertisement