Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mobile broadband v fixedline broadband

Options
  • 19-07-2007 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

i'm getting broadband into my home.
    anyone any thought on either mobile or fixed.

currently have irishbroadband 512k ripwave modem, but its not good speed.
    thinking about either 3 mobile broadband or eircom fixed line into my home.
    if going mobile will be used in blanchardstown and wexford.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

It's a trade-off, similar to deciding between a laptop and a desktop. Mobile is handy because you can take it around with you, but it typically costs more, especially if you plan to download a lot, and the latency will also typically be higher than DSL or cable. Sorry for using a technical term; that basically means that if you're a gamer, you won't be happy with mobile broadband.

I wouldn't get mobile broadband unless I valued its mobility. Just like I wouldn't get a laptop unless I valued its mobility either. For your information, I have both. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Mobile, typically slower, lower cap, worse latency and more expensive and you may not always get a connection in the same place due to congestion (worse than Fixed wireless Contention!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I'm confused, why are people saying the mobile options like 3 are more expensive? I thought 3bb was only 19.99 per month(with 10gb cap) while eircom's 1mb package with 10gb cap is 24.99pm and that's not including the line rental which is about 24euro per month if i remember correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If you go over the cap the mobile operators will rape your bank account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

With the current dire speeds a lot of people are getting from the 3 datamodem these days, there's no danger of getting anywhere near the cap. It'll be interesting to see if people who've signed up for the new O2 service experience similar problems. If you can at all, go for the fixed line broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

There is no comparison

Tried 3 briefly in new apartment while waiting for DSL,

Laughable tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Unless you need it for mobility its not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Currently there is no broadband available in my area yet, can I still use mobile bb and is it fast enough to justify getting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

Passenger wrote:
    Currently there is no broadband available in my area yet, can I still use mobile bb and is it fast enough to justify getting?

It definitively CAN be fast enough at 3.6mbps, but contention or weak signal can lower those speeds significantly.

Try find out what kind of signals are available in your area from what companies. Three currently have the best priced offer, and even if your area is not HSDPA (high speed) and is just normal 3G, thats still quite a bit faster than a good dialup connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Oh that's great thanks, I'll check out the mobile bb provider's coverage in my area and see who's the best, though I'd presume Vodafone would have a larger coverage of the mobile bb providers, at least I can enjoy a faster connection speed than I'm currently using.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

Passenger wrote:
    Oh that's great thanks, I'll check out the mobile bb provider's coverage in my area and see who's the best, though I'd presume Vodafone would have a larger coverage of the mobile bb providers, at least I can enjoy a faster connection speed than I'm currently using.

Vodafone are probably the worst in terms of mobile broadband, the most expensive and worst coverage. If your in a ruralish area, then the chances are that Vodafones signal while be 2G. ie, just as slow as dialup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Im going with 3 because the last guy who used the land line in the house I rent left 100 euro on the bill.

3 is 129 for the modem and 20 a month after that,
    2 weeks to bring it back if not happy
    3 guy was actually helpful.

02 is 80 for the modem and 20 for the first 3 months and 40 after that.
    O2 guy spent 20 mins talking to his "bud" then of his phone,
    then no modems in store
    1 week to bring it back if not happy.
    Cheaper if you have an O2 mobile.

Boss had Vodafone and said it wasnt great bt he has as much tech in him as a spoon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

baegan wrote:
    i'm getting broadband into my home.
    anyone any thought on either mobile or fixed.

currently have irishbroadband 512k ripwave modem, but its not good speed.
    thinking about either 3 mobile broadband or eircom fixed line into my home.
    if going mobile will be used in blanchardstown and wexford.

I would definitely choose the fixed line option if i had that option. I take it from your post you are in Blanchardstown ? Why not consider Cable BB for the home, and 3 BB for down the country. The combination of both could well work out cheaper than fixed line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 LadyJane

It definitively CAN be fast enough at 3.6mbps, but contention or weak signal can lower those speeds significantly.

Try find out what kind of signals are available in your area from what companies. Three currently have the best priced offer, and even if your area is not HSDPA (high speed) and is just normal 3G, thats still quite a bit faster than a good dialup connection.

>>>>>
    Are you taking about Three.ie wireless service or 3G Wireless BB Generally?
    1/So Vodaphones 3G BB is rubbish?

2/.And O2's is aswell even at the advertised 3-6GB speeds

3/. Ripwave
    by IBB
    thats Mobile Wireless BB

So stick to wired dsl ? some people have said ICEBB is good ....

LadyJane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Well your using ripwave, why not upgrade to Breeze. Don't know anyone in your area but Breeze is working out well for me in Maynooth. Save you paying for line rental. Is Digiweb available in your area?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Ripwave is not Mobile Wireless. It's portable Wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

My compnay trialed 3 Mobile for a week and handed it back....complete joke. We were always affiliated with o2 but thought to try it out. o2 seem to be much better...as long as you only want to browse / download the odd thing.

O2's coverage is worse though AFAIK. 3's main problem is they are promoting too agressively and have oversold out in most areas so speeds have gone to hell for most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Rockson

I'd 100% go for fixed line if I had the choice. Reasons: speed, download limit, latency and cost!

Definitely stay away from 3 mobile for at least the moment. Apparently they've taken on too many customers and their 'broadband' is about equivalent to dial-up speed (and often worse!) for some of us at the moment. See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055124889

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 LadyJane

So even though I live 100 metes from 02's Mobile 3G Mast Avoid?

Is that the general advice here?I am currently with UTV DSL 2 MB service 12 month contract?
    What will they do if I try to leave them?

Court is it best to charge it over to a standing order from bank account?
    that way it stops them hammering me?

Any experience here getting out of Contracts?

LadyJane

• Advertisement

LadyJane wrote:
    So even though I live 100 metes from 02's Mobile 3G Mast Avoid?

Is that the general advice here?I am currently with UTV DSL 2 MB service 12 month contract?
    What will they do if I try to leave them?

Court is it best to charge it over to a standing order from bank account?
    that way it stops them hammering me?

Any experience here getting out of Contracts?

LadyJane

I would never and I mean never go from DSL to mobile broadband.

Unless you need the mobile broadband for your job or something in which case you should get them to pay for it and keep UTV for home use. It just isn't reliable enough for a home user.

My parents have it and its fine for them and works most of the time for them but they have just started having the issues most 3 users are complaining about here.

Advertisement