Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PGCE grant

• 19-07-2007 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi there everybody,
    Have been consistantly reading this forum for a long time now but first time to post.

Does anybody know if the grant available for Irish students to study primary teaching in the UK extends to those who hold a masters?
    I would have thought so but heard a scary rumour recently that it doesn't!
    Would love to get a definitive answer on it if someone knows for certain as it would seriously influence future decisions.
    Thanks in advance.
    Alib

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

No idea. I know I'll get eaten alive for saying this but a really good friend of mine trained over there last year & got no work, she is such a wonderful teacher and it's such a pity. I think Hibernia is a better option for those who are thinking of money. Ignore what I said or disagree but I have no hidden agenda for saying this other than what I see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 alib

Well, the way I see it, I'd have to pay fees in all the Irish colleges to do it as I've already had my fees paid and received a grant for my masters here.
    And EVERYBODY is constantly mentioning this famous £6000 bursary students receive in the UK. However I just don't think I'd be allowed to get it too, for the same reason as I wouldn't get anything here.
    Of course I'd love to study in an Irish institution and that would be the ideal but might just have to give up the dream for a few more years until I've saved some airgead for either Ireland or the UK...dammit I hate being poor! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I understand that predicament but Hibernia will ensure you can work (€140ish a day for subbing) when doing it. My friends all got 2/3 days a week on average so were well able to get by. Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 alib

Thanks for the reply gaeilgegrinds.
    Would still love to know if I would be entitled to the UK grant though....if anybody knows, I'd really appreciate the info. Can't seem to find it anywhere on the net, but I could just be looking in the wrong places :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

as far as i know you can

contact one of the colleges

try stranmillis college belfast admission dept and i sure they will be able to tell ya

paddy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 carebare

No idea. I know I'll get eaten alive for saying this but a really good friend of mine trained over there last year & got no work, she is such a wonderful teacher and it's such a pity. I think Hibernia is a better option for those who are thinking of money. Ignore what I said or disagree but I have no hidden agenda for saying this other than what I see.
    I have not found that to be the case at all. I trained in London and got offered two permanent jobs within 2 weeks of returning and all the people I trained with got jobs straight away.

Advertisement