Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benchmark Central - 3DMark and Overclocks database

Options
  • 19-07-2007 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I've just set up a new webpage for automatically handling benchmarks, overclocks, and stuff:

http://benchmarkcentral.net

When you submit your data, the site updates all stats instantly to include your info, so you can see exactly where you are in the order of merit (no waiting for someone to update the stats).

You can also filter the results by cpu / gpu / cooling, etc, so you can compare your system to other similar systems. You can also edit your stats as often as you like.

Please check it out and see what you think,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

Like it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

It's a great idea.

Could people include the Cooling device info as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

whats stopping people from abusing it and just posting spurious benchmarks?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Beelzebub wrote:
    It's a great idea.

Could people include the Cooling device info as well?
    I could include that too, but I didn't want the database to get too cluttered. Theres also CPU batch, stepping, Vcore, Vdimm, SPD timings, and other stuff I could include, but I decided to keep it easy to read, and focus on the main data.
    L31mr0d wrote:
    whats stopping people from abusing it and just posting spurious benchmarks?
    All 3D marks require a valid compare link. I'm going to include CPU-Z verification for overclocks too.

Hopefully people won't try posting invalid scores, but if they do, they'll be removed asap.

I think you could add all those fields to the database and just display the most relevant ones on the main screen. Stepping would be a great one.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think I will add them after all. I suppose the casual 3DMark bencher/gamer can just ignore the technical data, as most probably won't know what stepping their cpu is anyway.

I'd say make it as comprehensive as possible. I mean i'd love a site where I could say right what was the highest overclock a person got with an E6600 on an evga mobo with mushkin ram in an antec case. You could also have it set to spew out the closest match if the database doesn't have such an entry.

After a few years of people inputting specs you could have a pretty valuable database there. Can a user have more than 1 system in their account at the same time? Also a folding chart would be an idea also..

Have to admit man, I wish i'd thought of this first :D

Users can only have one account per username, I figured people can enter multiple systems by adding new accounts with a number appended, like
    L31mr0d
    L31mr0d#2
    L31mr0d#3
    etc.

I've been meaning to make a site like this for years, ever since the first 3DMark forum thread that I posted in stopped being updated. I've lost count of the number of 3DMark threads started and then abandoned on many forums.
    I remember being really frustrated at the delay in having my scores updated, and kept promising myself to make a database.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

got mine in, good idea man, well done

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Hi,

Great idea, can you pls add in Vcore and Idle / Load temps so I can see how mine compare to similar OC's? Might aswell add in PCMark05? complete the set

tnx,

Inqui

• Advertisement

Thanks for the positive feedback guys, much appreciated! :D

I'm going to take Beelzebub, L31mr0d, & Inquitus's advice, and add the stepping, vcore, ram timings, idle/load temps, cooling device, and anything else relevant etc.

Adding raw data like Vcore, temps, timings, is fairly straightforward, because the user just types their numbers into an input box. However, the problem with adding things like cooling devices, cases, power supplies, etc, is that if I want to enable searching of the dbase for these items, then I need to make a drop-down list for each one, and try to include every possible option :( .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Can you have a dropdown with an add new option? whereby if their device is not listed it can be added to the DB and the dropdown going forward.

Yeah, I can do that, but it could get messy if people enter the same device in different formats. I was thinking of letting people enter new team names that way, but decided on the safer option of using the forums.

It would be great if everyone thought the same way, but you'd be amazed at what some people do. You've probably seen many threads about 3DMark scores, where users are asked to post their scores and compare links. Sounds simple enough, but about 1 in 5 will still post the wrong link (no matter how well it's explained in the first post).

Advertisement