Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Reinstall problem !

• 19-07-2007 7:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭

Ok, here is the thing, I re-installed windows Xp home onto my dell inspiron 9300

the reason.. well I upgraded the Hard Drive..

Dell supplied the Xp home disk but no drivers, so off i went to find them...
    All is good except when I right click on the open desktop and select properities or go into control panal and select display neither work !
    they simply do nothing when selected ?

I have the correct driver and the screen is now high res and looks good but I am unable to change the screen !

And ideas?
    I hope this is enough info but if you require more info

The display adapter is ATI MOBILITY RADEON X300

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Did you install all the latest drivers for your machine? Did you install SP2 and other updates as well?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

yeah there's about 82 patches to go on after SP2 , and perhaps some microsoft drivers , do http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com first and after they are all on then choose the option for microsoft update and round the houses again

on the ATI web site there are other drivers, but can't recomend which to use, and before you go trying make a system restore snapshot AND make an alternative hardware profile in control-panel system so you can still boot up if alternative drivers stop windows booting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Cheers Folks,
    Firstly I have everything from windows update ! except the net framework stuff..

And I downloaded the drivers from the Dell site.. will take your advice and keep going :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Drivers should not prevent a part of windows from opening though. Regardless of the driver, the display properties window should open... Though it is possible if its a corrupt driver i suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

Most drivers these days change the number of tabs etc on system properties so it indeed just sounds like dodgy drivers. Try different ones as suggested.

If the drivers you already installed create their own system properties on the task bar/ in control panel you could try opening it that way and seeing if these allow you to change what you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

When you boot up, press F8 and pick VGA mode. This will not load your graphics driver but will load everything else. If display properties open for you then its definatly a corrupt driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Ok I tried the VGA boot up, its still not showing the properties option..

So it would seem it was a problem with the windows installation ?

Tks for everyones time on this !

Advertisement