Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which provider is best for Skype?

Options
  • 19-07-2007 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone could give me some advice here as its my first time signing up for broadband. Im renting a house in Clonsilla and my landlord wont let me use the landline for broadband so I have been looking at wireless providers such as 3, 02 and Vodaphone. I would be using the broadband mainly for chatting on Skype. I've read various opinions on these three providers and Im just wondering if anyone could advise me on which provider would be best for using Skype.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

not 3G / phone providers. The latency is poor. Skype actually even works on Dialup (with video off). You want fixed Wireless, Metro or Cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Perli-crap

If not in a position to have a fixed line connected to your house, I would suggest that mobile wireless would be more useful than fixed wireless, as 3, O2 and Vodafone not only have the best coverage of all the wireless providers, but you will be able to use your dongle anywhere in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

The latency issues will make Mobile not work very well though for Skype. Some of them may allow voice calls over the broadband modem though.

I'm not sure if ripwave etc.. could handle it either.

Do you have cable with NTL/chorus in the house?

Advertisement