Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

water marks on an inside wall

Options
  • 19-07-2007 10:15pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

i have started to get water marks on a wall in my hall. it is in the extension of the house at the corner from the original house and the extension. there is no water running down the wall or on the floor. its a flat roof extension and i have the roof replaced in january due to a leak but the leak was no where near where the water marks have appeared.

what i need to know is who should i get out to have a look at it roofer, plumber or someone else?

:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'd guess that the roofer didn't replace/seal the flashing between the flat roof and the wall. Best get him back out to have a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Finneganjp

10-10-20 sounds correct. Maybe the roofer didnt replace the flashing correctly. This is the seal between your extension roof and your existing house. Even the smallest leak could travell and over time soak through the cavity wall and show up as a water stain. I'ed get the roofer back and show it to him.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

thanks - will do that. he should charge me to fix it should he ??

No, he has to rectify defects in *his* work for free.
    Have him explain what's gone wrong to you.

10-10-20 wrote:
    No, he has to rectify defects in *his* work for free.
    Have him explain what's gone wrong to you.

he is coming around tomorrow, so will let you know what he said

• Advertisement

oh the roof has just been around and he has checked the roof and said its perfect. that as the wall only has water marks its probably just drying out from the leak in january. the leak is nowhere near where the original leak was. he also said that if the roof was leaking that i would have water on the ground or walls with the amount of rain we have been having. so now i am at a loss of what to do, i am trying to find a plumber to come around to check if there are any pipes that might be leaking but this is very unlikely:(

OK, you're going to have to do some investigative work yourself! Do this before you incur cost in calling out a plumber!
    Here are a few questions to help...

Where are you seeing the mark? Is it on the floor (I know you said it's not, but can you lift carpet to confirm?) Is it growing? Is it wet, or could it be a stain that went unnoticed?
    Is there any fitment on either side of this wall which could leak?
    What is on the far side of the wall (describe in detail)? (Is the far side of the wall on the exterior?). Is there a path at the same level as the mark? Was there ever pooling water at this location?

What age is the house?
    Can you take digital photos of the mark and rear of the wall?

Anyhow - got to go. 2yr old is calling me for tea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 later

Hi

Another possibility on a cavity wall is the water is coming into the cavity in the previous external wall (where the extension now is), is dripping down in the cavity as it should but then has no where to go as the external wall is now the internal wall of the extension and the weep holes are covered

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/cavities,cavity%20trays,%20lintels%20and%20insulation.htm

shows how the wall was constructed and how if the extension were attached at original construction the cavity would have spanned the cavity above the flashing

I hope this is not the problem but thought it worth pointing out

its definately growing. it seems to be coming from the ceiling down. i have just pulled out the freezer, the wall isnt painted behind there and the plaster is definately wet, there appears to be some underneath the laminate beside the freeze but no pools of water

it is an exterior wall into my neighbours garden. i am chargeing my batteries to take photos

the house is 34 years old and i think the extension is about 14 years old

okay you have now scared me - the guy i bought the house was a nut job and done all his own DIY. i have spent a fortune over the last 3 years trying to repair the damage he caused e.g. when i had the flat roof replaced in january it turned out he had the felt on upside down!!!!!

what should i do if this is the problem and how do i find out if this is the problem?

later wrote:
    Hi

Another possibility on a cavity wall is the water is coming into the cavity in the previous external wall (where the extension now is), is dripping down in the cavity as it should but then has no where to go as the external wall is now the internal wall of the extension and the weep holes are covered

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/cavities,cavity%20trays,%20lintels%20and%20insulation.htm

shows how the wall was constructed and how if the extension were attached at original construction the cavity would have spanned the cavity above the flashing

I hope this is not the problem but thought it worth pointing out

• Advertisement
Advertisement