Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doing a language outside lectures?

• 19-07-2007 10:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭

Hi everyone :)

With any luck I'll be doing Psychology in Trinity next year, but I'd really like to progress my Spanish and learn French too (from a beginners level). Looking at Maynooth which is my other possibility I see they provide evening language classes for students studying other subjects.

I looked around the TCD website but I couldn't find any information on anything like this. So, I'm just wondering, is there any facility like this? Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭defiantshrimp

http://www.tcd.ie/Broad_Curriculum/languagemod/index.php has the info you need if you are going to be doing psychology. The drop out rates for the courses are quite high, but I think that is in part because there is a big adjustment to third level and people tend to drop them because they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭Crash

That wouldnt really be what hes looking for, surely, as BC is only 2nd/3rd year in courses.

Kisaragi: there are classes run in the evenings by both the college and by societies, so you do have the option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

The CLCS run evening classes in French and German and Spanish, and first years can definitely attend.

http://www.tcd.ie/slscs/clcs/courses/evening_language_modules.php

It seems it is part of BC, but kinda not part of it at the same time (in that it's not just for second years).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

There are also Polish and Russian classes, which are evening classes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I'm pretty sure the Modern Languages society runs classes in French and Spanish too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭defiantshrimp

&#231 wrote: »
    That wouldnt really be what hes looking for, surely, as BC is only 2nd/3rd year in courses.

Kisaragi: there are classes run in the evenings by both the college and by societies, so you do have the option.

No, the BC evening courses in my link are the ones offered to first in their induction/acceptance/whatever pack. They fall under the broad remit of BC to expand peoples interdisciplinary knowledge and such.

Now that I have more time to post I should say to the OP that you need to be quite disciplined to stick with it. The teachers are good but they are not fully qualified French/Spanish/German/etc. teachers, but rather native students studying at TCD that have done the equivilent of the TEFL course. So they sometimes lack the stucture that a more experiened teacher would have, from my experiences anyway. But since most language learning is done on your own, it makes little difference.

Finally I'm pretty sure you can't do beginners French, or at least couldn't when I started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

Thanks for all the info guys!

Yep, it seems you can't do beginner's French (which makes sense since the majority of the country seems to do it for the LC), so I suppose I can always find somewhere to do it unconnected to the University :) Actually I'm pretty sure I can attend the Maynooth ones just for double the price or something silly like that :( (As a non-student). But I'll definitly try out the Spanish classes! I became relatively proficient in it throughout 5th and 6th year and I'd really hate to lose it, so even if it's a bit of work I'm rather determinded you could say :)

Is there a Spanish society? If so does anyone know what it's like? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

I know you're talking about beginner's French, but from my experience doing intermediate German, as part of the BC courses Trinity offers, it was the worst course I had ever done. I left by about the 6th week or so, by that stage already the vast majority of classmates had also aborted their attempt at furthering their language knowledge...thank god I had also picked a seperate BC course or I would have been stuck in there (it's a stipulation of my undergraduate course to do at least one BC course in 2nd year)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NURITA

I am a native spanish girl, and I will be in TCD during the year 2012-2013 if you are interested in spanish classes we can talk about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

^^ This thread is from 2007, so there's no use posting here, all the others are probably gone from TCD already!

(Este hilo es de 2007, pues no sirve para nada comentar aquí, los demás ya se habrán ido de TCD)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement