Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sherk and Franca fail drug tests!

• 19-07-2007 11:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭

From www.wrestlingobserver.com
    Sean Sherk tested positive for Nandralone (Decadurabolin) in his 7/7 defense of his UFC world lightweight title match against Hermes Franca.

In the same match, Franca tested positive for the steroid Drostanolone. Both men were fined $2,500 and suspended for one year.

Loretta Hunt reported on Fight Network radio that Greg Nelson has indicated Sherk will challenge the test result.

Because the fight was in California, and not Nevada, the commission doesn't have the power to overturn the result of the match.

UFC has not yet made a statement regarding the test result. Sherk has 30 days to request a hearing. If he fails to successfully appeal the test result, one would think UFC would have little choice but to strip him of his championship.

That sucks as I really wanted to see BJ Penn v Sherk in November :( If its true, you can totally see it in Sherk's physique but Franca would be a bit of a shock (well in the same way that Royce was!) As ever, drug tests are really IQ tests and these guys are idiots.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

From UFC website:
    Sherk and Franca Test Positive, Both Facing Suspension and Fine
    LAS VEGAS,

UFC 18 Road To The Heavyweight Title VHS

July 19 - Today, the California State Athletic Commission released information stating that UFC Lightweight Champion Sean Sherk tested positive for the banned substance Nandrolone Metabolite and that lightweight contender Hermes Franca tested positive for Drostanolone, also a banned substance, in drug tests following their five-round fight on July 7th at UFC 73 in Sacramento, California.

Both of these substances are anabolic agents, and both fighters face a possible fine and suspension by the CSAC.

"Our policy on fighters using steroids, illegal drugs or any banned substance remains the same - you cannot use them,” said UFC President Dana White. “It's not only unhealthy and unsafe, it is against the law. The UFC fully supports the commission's efforts and we will continue to take measures that keep this sport clean and keep the athletes safe.

I like Whites attitude to it. It's refreshing after the last few weeks.

I'd love it if they did a tournament. They have more than enough talent in that division to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Joe rogan and mike goldberg couldnt shut up during that bout about sean sherks physique and how big he was due to eating and drinking stuff "that tastes horrible" to get the physique that he has.We now know that it also may have been also due to taking a banned substance.If he is guilty the UFC should strip him of the title.
    The UFC need to take such a stand on it before it gets out of hand.Because MMA is a sport that has only recently really taken off I welcome such a decision if it means that future fighters don't consider steroids or any other banned susbtances as an option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Kinda ruins Sherk's image now. I don't know if he'll ever be as popular again. Mike Sawyer wrote a piece about how MMA guys get past the tests on the Observer site last week, he made it out to be easier than you'd think. It's a pity Sherk felt the need to do it. At least the UFC aren't going to hide from it

A tournament would be a good idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

A 155 tournament for the belt would be badass! I never liked Sherk anyway so I`m not too sad.

Fozzy wrote:
    Kinda ruins Sherk's image now. I don't know if he'll ever be as popular again. Mike Sawyer wrote a piece about how MMA guys get past the tests on the Observer site last week, he made it out to be easier than you'd think. It's a pity Sherk felt the need to do it. At least the UFC aren't going to hide from it

A tournament would be a good idea

That was the article where thing things like mouthwash,hair dye etc were all mentioned as being used to beat the system,was it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Heres the article by Mike Sawyer. He's a semi regular guest on Figure Four and has a column about once a month up on figure four and wrestling observer. If I remember correctly, he used to manage a pharmacy/health shop in Vegas. He's an interesting guy and this is the column he wrote:
    Mike Sawyer talks drugs and UFC

The Shooters Paradise - Inside MMA In Las Vegas
    By Mike Sawyer
    www.myspace.com/mikesawyerkayfabe

Lets talk about drugs. I know, its a hot topic of conversation these days in the world of Professional Wrestling and Mixed Martial Arts. So many questions with so little answers on the subject. Until now.

Let me begin by saying that the drugs that I'm going to talk about are illegal, many times taking illegally and are bad for you. You should not be taking these drugs. Period. But let's not sugar coat the fact that they are being taken by many of the guys, so let's try and answer some of the most talked about questions.

It seems we read about a new person each week failing their drug test. I think to many, its not a shock that these guys are on drugs, but the fact that they actually fail their drug test. How can this happen? What were the circumstances and how close to the actual test did these guys actually do these drugs?

How long a selected drug stays in a persons system depends on the individual taking the drug. Is he or she abusing it or just taking it recreational? Here is a list of some of the drugs that these guys take and how long it will actually stays in a person's system after doing so.

Amphetamines (1-2 days), Steroids (oral up to 3 weeks, injected 3-6 months), Barbiturates (3-4 days), Cocaine (1-3 days), GHB (1-2 days), Heroin (1-2 days), Marijuana (up to a month with heavy use up to 3 months), Pain Pills (3-5 days from last dose).

How are some of these guys passing the drug test? You know who I mean, the guy who is juiced to the gills year round. Even someone who may have done it occasionally. How are they getting away with it?

Besides hitting up your doctor for a "masking" agent or visiting your local Diversity Smoke Shop (a favorite here in Vegas), believe it or not, some hit their local GNC's for their own remedy and it's not what you think. There is a way to beat the drug test (for people who are using in moderation). For those that are given a week's notice that they will be tested, this is a popular concoction that is used for those wanting to hide the fact that they are taking:

* marijuana
    * benzodiaphenes (tranquilizers), including Valium, Xanax and Ativan
    * quaaludes
    * cocaine
    * narcotics, including morphine, Codeine and Darvocet
    * PCP

Before I tell you, this column is in no way set up to tell everyone how to beat a drug test, but rather give you guys some insight on how the majority are passing these tests. You hear a lot of rumors on how they do it, so here is one of the ways they do it without going to the doctor (which many of them do not have anyways).

The remedy is: Vitamin C, Creatine, Potassium, B-Complex, Green Tea, Corn, Bananas, Tums and any Diet Soda. For those who need to pass a hair test, many use VO5 shampoo, Clorox Bleach, Hydrogen Peroxide and a good Conditioner.

Sounds crazy? You better believe it.

I hope it answered some of your questions regarding this subject. Hopefully the NSAC and others can not only clean up the sport of MMA, but also save lives in the process...

OTHER TIDBITS: UFC 73 is in California this weekend. Here are the latest odds for the show:

Odds for UFC 73: Stacked,
    July 7th @ Arco Arena, Sacramento, CA
    Anderson Silva (-170) vs. Nate Marquardt (+140)
    Sean Sherk (-260) vs. Hermes Franca (+200)
    Tito Ortiz (-140) vs. Rashad Evans (+110)
    Antonio Nogueira (-1000) vs. Heath Herring (+600)
    Stephan Bonnar (-600) vs. Mike Nickels (+400)
    Kenny Florian (-350) vs. Alvin Robinson (+275)
    Frank Edgar (-330) vs. Mark Bocek (+260)
    Chris Lytle (-450) vs. Jason Gilliam (+300)
    Jorge Gurgel (-225) vs. Diego Saraiva (+185)

Should be a fun show. Until next month, enjoy your stay...

Heres the article by Mike Sawyer. He's a semi regular guest on Figure Four and has a column about once a month up on figure four and wrestling observer. If I remember correctly, he used to manage a pharmacy/health shop in Vegas. He's an interesting guy and this is the column he wrote:

yea thats the article

Advertisement