Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youtube issues - Smart Only?

Options
  • 19-07-2007 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Been experiencing youtube lags recently.
    Am on the Smart BB 3mb service.
    Other users on their forums are experiencing this problem.
    Is it just us, or is the general load speed getting slower?
    Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pyxxel

Morning.

I experienced the same lately, I'm a relatively new subscriber in the Blanchardstown area. Was watching a few Youtube movies with my son two days ago and it kept stalling. A few vids never got going at all. This hasn't changed since. :confused:

To put it into context, here is the latest speed check:
    157530020.png

Also see my other post from this morning, I get consistent results.

I wouldn't be surprised if Smart were throttling Youtube specifically due to its high profile. Embedded movies from various other sites run fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Rather_b_diving

Probably down to one of their upstream connections - whom ever they're using to get to YouTube - do a tracert to www.youtube.com and see where it goes you'll probably find at peak times their "no contention broadband" is only no contention to unpopular parts of the web / websites !!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's contention. NO-ONES network can be 1:1, they may claim to have no contention at the DSLAM (LLU exchange) but no-one can afford a network to give everyone full speed all the time. Their overall network is going to be between 10:1 and 30:1. If they add more users without more peering bandwidth there is a problem for video.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I'm just after having the same probelm with youtube. But I am on NTL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

watty wrote:
    It's contention. NO-ONES network can be 1:1, they may claim to have no contention at the DSLAM (LLU exchange) but no-one can afford a network to give everyone full speed all the time. Their overall network is going to be between 10:1 and 30:1. If they add more users without more peering bandwidth there is a problem for video.

Smart guarantee you that there will never be any contention. Basically the way it is set up is that their customers are uncontended at the DSLAM and internally on Smart's network, and they make sure their internet pipe always has plenty of spare capacity, giving users guaranteed 1:1 bandwidth the way that they work it.

Even when you get an uncontended line, even a very expensive business line, this is essentially how it's worked.

That's not saying that Smart won't turn around in the future and decide to save money by no longer offering that kind of service...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Sorry, but they claim to have "adequate" Backhaul bandwidth. There is not the bandwidth for everyone to get full speed simultaneously. But unless everyone is running video / torrents 10:1 on whole network would appear un-contended.

All networks are designed on basis of assumptions of traffic usage. However the You Tube problem is likely elsewhere than Smart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Agreed. My point was simply that even as a business customer paying thousands to a big provider for a 1:1 uncontended service, that is how it is worked by the provider. The fact that every single customer running torrents at full speed at the same time would still create problems is completely irrelevant to the end-user, because that's not something that will suddenly happen. Even if it does happen over time, they will have time to upgrade their connections over time to ensure there is always spare capacity.

Anything else would be madness, as you'd be running an internet pipe with 1% usage. To the customer, it is completely uncontended. Unlike, for example, eircom's service, which is contended at the exchange and their own network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

ive been having the same problem over the last week and im using Smart too.
    its damn annoying

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

YouTube working fine for me on Smart's 6MB service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Yeah no youtube problems here either (Smart)

• Advertisement
Advertisement