Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets talk survival

Options
  • 19-07-2007 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Well here we are, recovering form the infamous LC! :rolleyes: I think its safe to say we have gotten through the toughest part....now its all plane sailing!:D but the real question i have is...are you all ready to spread the wings?...living without parents...feeding yourself....cleaning up...getting up in the mornings...general survival in the big bad world of college?!:eek: and one last question....how much do you think all this surviving is going to cost you guys....how much do you plan to have saved after the summer ends and college begins???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

I already have 5 grand although accomadation has already eaten into my savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Roonels

how have you managed to muster 5?!! so are you paying for your own accom aswel? ive 3 grand saved and feeling the pressure at this stage....i need wheels you see:rolleyes: :o

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Accommodation is fine for me...living at home anyway. Parents pay for the bus up and down everyday, with some(more like plenty) left over for food. Only thing I will spend on will be going out really, or else other non-college related necessities. If I have anywhere near 2K by the end of the summer, it'll be good, but I will have over 1K hopefully, and if I dont spend(as I plan to), I'll make the 2K mark:D.

The main difference for me with college will be class sizes. I'm going from classes od like 6 people(11 was max in one class), to classes of near 200..it'll be weird. I cant wait to get there, see what all the fuss is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Here you go! Should be able to cope fairly well with that I'd imagine. Just don't forget your water bottle, flint and trusty knife!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

I´ll be living at home, n im not working this summer since im gonna b away most of it (in fact im away now) so i hav 0 euro saved. I wont need that much money livin wit my parents n until i find a job etc they´ll pay for my stuff hahaha

• Advertisement

Roonels wrote:
    how have you managed to muster 5?!! so are you paying for your own accom aswel? ive 3 grand saved and feeling the pressure at this stage....i need wheels you see:rolleyes: :o

By working for two years filling cars at the weekends.My parents are thrifty and they have passed that on to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Well everything goes according to plan, ill be living on campus at DCU. A few people on this board know me and they will tell you im one of those people who cant do anything for themselves, so it should be interesting in a couple of months :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Limerick_Dude: Pasta, I'll buy you pasta.

Me? I'm living at home, its all good...get to look forward to daily public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I'm staying in my home until 2010 when I will leave for the US OF A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

I'm gonna be living at home this year, and working weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭fionated7

hopefully il be living in the city of whatever college excepts me, n find a weekend job....
    at the moment my bank account is 0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Oh god, I've nothing saved up and I won't be living at home...

I wonder how long i can mooch off the father before he tells me to get a job :p

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Well by the end of the summer I should have €400 saved.....and the start up accomadation price at NUIM is like €750+ (€400 to cover electricity and water and stuff for the year and then 3 months rents).Thankfully though the parents said they'd cover most of that.....so i'd guesstimate that the best case sceanario would be me left with like €300 left over to cover the first few months (i'd probably last me till like early November)....which would be grand enough I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

College is still a distant event way off in the future as far as I'm concerned. Tbh it still hasn't set in with me that school life is officially over.
    Hopefully by the end of the summer I'll have over 2 grand saved up for college. I'm moving up to Cork but coming back home on weekends. It would be good if I could get a part-time job on weekends too. How else am I going to finance all the drink? :o

Well by the end of the summer I should have €400 saved.....and the start up accomadation price at NUIM is like €750+ (€400 to cover electricity and water and stuff for the year and then 3 months rents).Thankfully though the parents said they'd cover most of that.....so i'd guesstimate that the best case sceanario would be me left with like €300 left over to cover the first few months (i'd probably last me till like early November)....which would be grand enough I guess.

Man i dont know how id live on 300 for a few months! alot it would go down the drain on nights out!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'll be spending the meagre amount I've saved on Lotto tickets for this saturday......€9 million :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

hints: tesco sell noodles for 12c, yogurts for 13c. baby potatoes for €1.
    lidl for everything else.

take advantage of student nights wehn youre drinking. €2/€3 drinks nights are awesome.

computers are almost always supplied in college, make use of em there, save a small fortune in electricity/laptops/internet bills. also, be aware of free texts you can send online.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Roonels

its gonna be tough...but its gotta be tesco/lidl all the way...till going home on weekends and robbing food from the fridge:rolleyes: :D ah im sure our parents only want us to steal food!...otherwise we would only fade away! so are you guys going for the ultimate freedom of a house or the foolproof apartments?(no offence intended!...ill prob go for the latter!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

lol, Limerick Dude, I'm hoping to go live in DCU too, are you going for Larkfield too or one of the other ones for preference? Which course are you going for?

Ironically, I'm also actually working in DCU right now and will hopefully have a handy two grand saved up come September 17th and first year orientation week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Seriously there is no need to drink!!!! Imagine all the money you could have if you said ''Ok drink tastes like ****, why do I drink it' and then just stopped.

The last time I had a job was Christmas and I still have 400 euro, and this is coming from someone who spends so much money on dvd's. ps2 games etc.

cocoa wrote:
    lol, Limerick Dude, I'm hoping to go live in DCU too, are you going for Larkfield too or one of the other ones for preference? Which course are you going for?

Ironically, I'm also actually working in DCU right now and will hopefully have a handy two grand saved up come September 17th and first year orientation week.

I applied for Hampstead, i thought more people in each apartment, therefore, easier to make new friends...i dunno though, i have a bad feeling that Larkfield is for 1st years and i didnt even put it down :(

Anyway, Im hoping to do Environmental Science. I was thinking of even moving up to Dublin at the end of August (i have cousins there) and try to get a job, so i will have one going into DCU.

Seriously there is no need to drink!!!! Imagine all the money you could have if you said ''Ok drink tastes like ****, why do I drink it' and then just stopped.

The last time I had a job was Christmas and I still have 400 euro, and this is coming from someone who spends so much money on dvd's. ps2 games etc.

mmmmm alcohol, i like going out and drinking. Its fun and i do like the taste of beer btw ;)

(sorry for the double post)

I applied for Hampstead, i thought more people in each apartment, therefore, easier to make new friends...i dunno though, i have a bad feeling that Larkfield is for 1st years and i didnt even put it down :(
    well the closing date for accomodation applications is the day before CAO so if you wanted to I reckon you could get in touch and they could change it... *shrug*

I just chose Larkfield cos I reckoned the atmosphere would be great and it would be easy to make friends with first years everywhere and I've been told so by a few people who stayed there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

mmmmm alcohol, i like going out and drinking. Its fun and i do like the taste of beer btw ;)

(sorry for the double post)
    Yep, nothing like an ice cold Carlsberg on a fine day.:cool:

cocoa wrote:
    well the closing date for accomodation applications is the day before CAO so if you wanted to I reckon you could get in touch and they could change it... *shrug*

I just chose Larkfield cos I reckoned the atmosphere would be great and it would be easy to make friends with first years everywhere and I've been told so by a few people who stayed there.

Shiiite.... do you think there will be no 1st years in Hampstead?

However, i still wouldnt fancy only having one roommate like....

Shiiite.... do you think there will be no 1st years in Hampstead?

However, i still wouldnt fancy only having one roommate like....
    meh, it's a double edged sword, more room mates could mean more fun or more likelihood of living with an absolute wanker. And of course with just one room mate, could be good, but if he's not then I'm stuck with him all the time...There's like a common room and stuff in larkfield.

I wouldn't say there'd be no 1st years in hampstead (I honestly don't know, this will be my first year too, you'd best ask someone who has stayed at hampstead) but certainly I'd expect there to be a lot more 2nd/3rd/4rth years. But that's not to say that you can't get on with them and make friends so... *shrug*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

Roonels wrote:
    are you all ready to spread the wings?...living without parents...feeding yourself....cleaning up...getting up in the mornings...general survival in the big bad world of college?!:eek: and one last question....how much do you think all this surviving is going to cost you guys....how much do you plan to have saved after the summer ends and college begins???

no....no...no....no....no.... and no!! :rolleyes: :(

well im going spending €3000 on alloys soon and after that i dont think ive got anything else left..... opps.... daddy's wallet i suppose!!!

Wait you drink alcohol for the taste !?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Smells like a shandy drinker to me....or god forbid a poofter juice drinker, wkd and that ****e

Advertisement